What's new

is there a wireless router that can run amule and transmission

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nater

New Around Here
I have a WNDR3700v1 router. I loaded OpenWrt and tried to run aMule and Transmission on it, however, it failed to run these apps. The CPU load was too much and the router kept freezing and crashing. The only way I could get one or the other (never both) to run was to limit the number of connections to 2 or 3 and even then the router was sluggish. Obviously running these types of applications from this router is impossible. So my question to you network gurus is... Is there a consumer brand router with the hardware capable of running these applications? Any recommendations? If not, has anyone tried to make a wireless router? I've read it can be done with an old computer with a wireless card capable of going into AP mode running a certain linux distro. Has anyone done this?

The Asus routers, at least the RT-N66 and RT-AC66 have aMule and torrent functionality built in from the factory. I'm pretty sure the torrent is based on Transmission, but somewhat old. Regardless, it works quite well for me, on the AC66.

It comes with these apps on the stock firmware? Wow. So all I would have to do is mount a USB flash drive to store the files I'm downloading?

If you plan to get a small NAS for your home, most of those have a variety of download clients. E.g., Synology/QNAP.

It comes with these apps on the stock firmware? Wow. So all I would have to do is mount a USB flash drive to store the files I'm downloading?
Yep. I have an old 60GB laptop drive in an external case hooked up to the AC66 and it temporarily stores the downloads. Once they're finished, I'll FTP them to my computer and delete from the source. Works very well, at least for my usage, and keeps the computer off during the day which saves a bit on electricity.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!