What's new

NAS and wireless bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Plastic

New Around Here
Hi all,

Total network newbie here. I have been considering a first NAS purchase, and came up with the following issue: my current network consists of a simple wireless router/modem to which I connect for internet access with my laptops and phones. Plugging the NAS straight into the router seems out of the question, wireless transfers are just way too slow, and the router is too far from the laptop to consider wiring it.

So ive been thinking of getting a wireless bridge, connect the laptop and NAS via ethernet, and have access to the wireless modem for internet connection. The thing is, I am not sure the NAS will be accessible to other wireless devices on the network (phones, wd tv live...) if proceeding like this. Also, would wiring NAS and laptop via the bridge result in gigabit connection between them, given the router operates at (crappy) N-300 mbps?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated...

maybe

to me it sounds like you have two possibilities:

1: use a bridge or router in bridge mode which you connect to both Computer and NAS via cable, ie the components which rely on bandwidth to the NAS. As long as the Connectors are GBEthernet, it should do ok. Other wlan devices will access the NAS via the slow wlan of the router.

2: setup a second router where you want your NAS, setup so it can access internet via the first routers wlan and make a second wlan from the second router which all your devices use. Basically a router cascade. However not many models will support this, you need to read and understand the manuals of the routers which are in your selection pattern.

A bridge does not create a separate network like a router does. So all wired and wireless devices on both sides of the bridge will be able to communicate.

The devices connected to the bridge's switch will communicate *with each other* at whatever the switch's speed is, i.e. 100 or 1000 Mbps.

Thank you for the reply, possibility 1 looks like the way to go: wire laptop and NAS via bridge, connected wireless to router/modem.
As for the bridge, would something like Trendnet TEW-680MB work? Any recommendation regarding the setup, possible firmware issue.... is welcome.

The review is definitely encouraging. I am worried about the router itself, it's a crappy Zyxel from my ISP, but can always change it for something else later eventually. Thanks for the advice!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online