What's new

Solved Need Clarification

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fotingo

Regular Contributor
I own a RT-AC86U and RT-AC68P routers.
I see this message "Reminder: 386.xx models are all on Asus' End of Life list since this spring. Asuswrt-Merlin will drop support for these models at the end of 2024."

Does that mean these routers will stop getting updates?
If so, does that mean I will need to buy a new router since these router will become duds?

I bought this RT-AC86U less than 3 years ago and having now to buy another router would be very expensive for me right now.

It means that RMerlin will no longer provide new versions of the firmware for those models.

The routers will continue to function exactly the same as they do now.

See Asus' explanation for what their EOL support means. RMerlin has repeatedly indicated that he will likely end support for the AC models by years end.

End-of-life product list​

When a product is end-of-life, it means:
  • It is no longer manufactured
  • Its certification will not be renewed
  • Its firmware, utility, website, DM, QSG and manual will not be updated
  • It may be replaced by a new product with updated hardware and similar functions
If the product/version1 you are looking for is end-of-life, it is recommended to purchase the latest version or other similar models2. However, an EOL will not change the limited warranty period for hardware.
Wireless

So no more security updates either?
I guess I will be forced to buy a new one as I want to make sure I get security updates.

Note what the Merlin change log indicates.
- NOTE: all the models supported by Asuswrt-Merlin on the
386_xx series are now officialy on Asus' End of Life
list, which means unless there are new major security
issues, no new updates will be provided by Asus.

Asuswrt-Merlin will tentatively attempt to continue to
provide updates and fixes until the end of 2024, at which
point all the 386_xx models will no longer be actively
maintained.

Asus already moved these models to their own End Of Life list a few months ago, meaning that unless a major security issue occurs in the coming months, they will no longer be providing firmwrae updates for them as of right now.

I am personally extending that to the end of the year in the case of Asuswrt-Merlin. Of course, this is assuming that any new security issue would be in code over which I have control. The idea is to give people more time to plan any future migration to a newer router, or determining how much of a risk continued use would be in their specific use cases. Security risks will be quite limited if one does not expose any port or service to the Internet. However if someone is an AiCloud user, they would be better to either stop using that feature already, or planning for a router upgrade.

The only thing I use is OpenVPN to connect to my home network while I'm outside my LAN. I don't use any of the AiProtection options.

The only thing I use is OpenVPN to connect to my home network while I'm outside my LAN. I don't use any of the AiProtection options.
OpenVPN is pretty secure, and is one of the component over which I have full control. So if any major security issue appears before the end of the year, I should be able to patch it.

After that, you will have to keep an eye on any new OpenVPN (or OpenSSL) vulnerability that may appear in the wild and be actually an issue for your specific use case.

Great, thank you Merlin at least for the short years I have been able to use your firmware, and thanks to all for your input.
I will start saving to see if I can get my hands on a new one by next year!

One final thing... is there a way to know how much support is left on a specific router model?
I want to start looking into which one I would get, but want to make sure I get one that has more than 3 years support left lol.

A year from now you may have to look at popular Wi-Fi 7 models for longer support.

So any of the 3004.388.7 listed in Merlin's site wouldn't be a good option?

If so, does that mean I will need to buy a new router since these router will become duds?

Duds?? LOL

Depending on the router, there are alternatives to Merlin, such as DD-WRT, FreshTomato, OpenWRT. Heck, these projects are *still* supporting the original Linksys WRT54G! So there's no need to throw them away or sell them. You could even reconfigure them as simple APs, a wireless ethernet bridge, guest network, VPN server, SSH server, etc. Lots of useful life left in these devices beyond just ASUS OEM or Merlin firmware.

I was actually looking at that one and the RT-AX86U PRO. I figured since they are both on the same software 3004.388.7 they would last the same.
I say this because both my routers, the RT-AC68P and the AC86U are both 386, but the AC68P support lasted about 11 years compared to the AC86U which was 7 years