What's new

NTP Daemon for ASUSWRT/Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's a headache for the user to need to clone the whole www directory for every f/w update though
I don't know what you mean with this, because I don't clone anything before a firmware upgrade. I install the firmware and everything is working without any adjustments.

I don't know what you mean with this, because I don't clone anything before a firmware upgrade. I install the firmware and everything is working without any adjustments.
You'll be mounting a potentially outdated /www from your USB, so if the WebUI is changed, you won't see it

You'll be mounting a potentially outdated /www from your USB, so if the WebUI is changed, you won't see it
That's why back in June 2017 I posted RefreshWWW.sh to optionally auto detect a new firmware installation during the boot and ensures (if the implementation instructions are followed) that any ASUS or RMerlin '/www' GUI changes are picked -up, and reapplies Kvic's original NTP TAB etc.

I am enjoying seeing the collaboration of the great minds here!

Seems like a perfect match for a scripting wizard to be involved in. :)

That's why back in June 2017 I posted RefreshWWW.sh to optionally auto detect a new firmware installation during the boot and ensures (if the implementation instructions are followed) that any ASUS or RMerlin '/www' GUI changes are picked -up, and reapplies Kvic's original NTP TAB etc.
I've found a way to only need to bind 2 pages, 1 of which is seemingly unused in Merlin (Feedback_Info.asp), so no need to clone the whole www directory now

(I have been using RefreshWWW up until now, its been a life saver!)

I've found a way to only need to bind 2 pages, 1 of which is seemingly unused in Merlin (Feedback_Info.asp), so no need to clone the whole www directory now

(I have been using RefreshWWW up until now, its been a life saver!)
I already played with your script. It works already great.

upload_2019-3-17_9-8-17.png

FYI Jack, the reason the original included the ntp exe’s was the entware provided ones are someone bloated and eat a reasonable amount of RAM. @kvic recompiled then having removed the unnecessary parts to significantly reduce the memory footprint.
If we are going to all this trouble with a major overall it may well be worth asking him to compile the latest available 32 and 64 bit versions to include with the upcoming release.
It’s not the end of the world as the package versions work but a lot of people are RAM sensitive so a very nice to have option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI Jack, the reason the original included the ntp exe’s was the entware provided ones are someone bloated and eat a reasonable amount of RAM. @kvic recompiled then having removed the unnecessary parts to significantly reduce the memory footprint.
If we are going to all this trouble with a major overall it may well be worth asking him to compile the latest available 32 and 64 bit versions to include with the upcoming release.
It’s not the end of the world as the package versions work but a lot of people are RAM sensitive so a very nice to have option.

The problem there is that we would require ongoing updates as and when they're made available.in any case, I'm not noticing a significant portion of memory usage, plus these days a swap file is required by other scripts such as Skynet so I'd be suprised to find someone running scripts without a swap file

ntpd appears to currently be using 0.8% memory on my RT-AC86U, for example. I'm sure it could be less, but the standard package seems fine

The problem there is that we would require ongoing updates as and when they're made available.in any case, I'm not noticing a significant portion of memory usage, plus these days a swap file is required by other scripts such as Skynet so I'd be suprised to find someone running scripts without a swap file

ntpd appears to currently be using 0.8% memory on my RT-AC86U, for example. I'm sure it could be less, but the standard package seems fine

Ok, maybe the latest x64 version is more efficient. On the older platforms it was using more like 5% I think.
Let’s ignore it for now [emoji106]

Ok, maybe the latest x64 version is more efficient. On the older platforms it was using more like 5% I think.
Let’s ignore it for now [emoji106]

I'm happy to swap for the pre-compiled versions - I'm not sure how out of date they are though (if at all!)

I suppose we need a 32 bit user to run both pre-compiled and standard Entware and report back with memory usage to see if its worth doing.

I'm happy to swap for the pre-compiled versions - I'm not sure how out of date they are though (if at all!)

I suppose we need a 32 bit user to run both pre-compiled and standard Entware and report back with memory usage to see if its worth doing.

Last check they were only 1 or 2 minor revisions behind. There don’t appear to be many changes in the ntp world.

As you say, let’s get a latest comparison and go from there. None of my 32bit routers are running Merlin anymore (AiMesh network) so it’s a bit of a pain for me to check. I’m sure someone will be along soon tho!

Please, and if you could have the current (manual) ntpd setup, could you try with both the binary from kvic (in the tarball), and the standard entware binary?
I can give it a go I'll just have to find my flash drive and re install the NTP daemon I had to reset to fix something.

I just know that it is something I would use if it was easily accessible.

Same. From my day job, I understand the critical importance of keeping everything as closely sync'd to a reliable clock as possible for system stability and reliability; when the clocks of different devices lock into sync, magic happens. Who doesn't like magic?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online