What's new

[Preview] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 pre-release test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Merlin,

May I ask can you merge the latest code of minidlna from their git? The latest code fixed some problems affects my TV.

Thanks

I’d be very interested to see if nodes really do work work whilst running Merlin.
If I can convince Asus to add DHCP Option 60/61 to the stock firmware it would allow me to run AiMesh stock firmware on my main, and Merlin with Entware on my node(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is I don't have a good way of knowing the nodes are actually working in mesh mode, or just as access points that happen to show up as mesh nodes. If you can think of some features you want to be certain are working and ways to test them, I can try them next time I flash the alpha firmware on the nodes. For most of us, access points are probably good enough. So I would not consider a lack of AiMesh functionality a show stopper from using the new builds. I just like to introduce one change at a time. So right now my family is getting used to having Mesh. I don't want to go into a state where today it is working one way and tomorrow it is working another, without them first getting used enough to the way it is working that they can say XXX is broken without Mesh, rather than saying our network hasn't been working right ever since you got those new routers.

Everything ok (except for the qos stats page) on ac3100 and ac68u!

Edit: my QoS stat is showing for both upload and download.

has anyone problems with enable/disable guest networks on ac68u 384.3 apha?
I tried enabling guest network on AC68U 384.3 alpha. It appears on WiFi list within a few seconds, but it does not disappear after I disabled it.

I haven't restarted ac68u after flashing,but now when I enable a guest network I need to reboot router to be visible on all wifi devices and when I remove a guest network it will not disappear immeddiatily on alll wifi devices...but I need reboot...what's the problem?Thanks

Strange! I will test it this weekend.

The problem is I don't have a good way of knowing the nodes are actually working in mesh mode, or just as access points that happen to show up as mesh nodes. If you can think of some features you want to be certain are working and ways to test them, I can try them next time I flash the alpha firmware on the nodes. For most of us, access points are probably good enough. So I would not consider a lack of AiMesh functionality a show stopper from using the new builds. I just like to introduce one change at a time. So right now my family is getting used to having Mesh. I don't want to go into a state where today it is working one way and tomorrow it is working another, without them first getting used enough to the way it is working that they can say XXX is broken without Mesh, rather than saying our network hasn't been working right ever since you got those new routers.

Yea I did think exactly that, about AP vs Mesh.

For me the key is the WiFi backhaul, I can’t run cables, but I want single SSID throughout the house.

Just have to hope RMerlin finds a way to integrate it, even if it means a branch with some other bits of his f/w disabled. I’m assuming if 380 is retired, 382 no longer exists, leaving just 384 and so wouldn’t be crazy work to maintain some IFDEF’s to compile an AiMesh and non-AiMesh in parallel, but I haven’t looked at the code and so am just blindly hoping!!

Yea I did think exactly that, about AP vs Mesh.

For me the key is the WiFi backhaul, I can’t run cables, but I want single SSID throughout the house.

Just have to hope RMerlin finds a way to integrate it, even if it means a branch with some other bits of his f/w disabled. I’m assuming if 380 is retired, 382 no longer exists, leaving just 384 and so wouldn’t be crazy work to maintain some IFDEF’s to compile an AiMesh and non-AiMesh in parallel, but I haven’t looked at the code and so am just blindly hoping!!

This is a thread about the Alpha 384 test build.

Did the factory reset (Initialize in the GUI). I then just did jffs-restore.sh from John's scripts. I then did the dhcp_staticlist nvram restore (from the dhcp sort list).
All the while I had an ssh window watching syslog.log (tail -f /tmp/syslog.log).
Everthing looked good. Did a reboot.
Again, syslog.log looked normal.
The restart also had the side effect of running the Entware scripts since I had restored the /jffs/scripts directory. Again, Entware is running fine.

I even went as far and re-enabled FreshJR's latest script in firewall start.
Did the QoS disable/enable and again syslog.log showed normal activity.

So, it does appear that running John9527 nvram backup/restore causes problems. My configuration is not that complex...
Good stuff, at least now we know which part of it can be restored.

This is an *alpha* build. Don't make demands out of me.
This is not a complaint but an explanation of my experience. I experienced that same strange issue with IPv6 on the 384.3_alpha1 that I did on the previous beta3 and when I roll back to the 382.2_beta2 it goes away. I also saw it on the asus 384.10007 so I"m thinking that there's a component in the 384 that disagrees with my setup.

I check on this two ways: I look at the network dialog box in windows and it shows that IPv6 has no internet connection and then I use the router GUI which will not show any clients on the system log tab IPv6 page. All network clients have the latest drivers and power management is turned off on them.

Edit: Its not you Merlin as the 382.2_beta2 just did the same thing so I'm perplexed. I just went ahead and rolled back to the factory 384.10007 and might go back to a previous firmware.

Last edited:
Using RT-AC3100 and reporting my experiences with 384.3_A1.

Flashed to 384.3_A1 from 382.2_B3 last night. Restarted after flash and again this morning. No issues noted with overall performance.

So far I have observed the following with 384.3_A1:
1.) Network Map now correctly displays all wireless clients as wireless.
2.) Network Map now displays all wireless client Tx & Rx rates as "0" (Wireless Log displays all Tx & Rx Rates OK).
3.) QoS Stats are now not displayed.
4.) Web History is now not displayed (I assume QoS is not running/functioning).

Those with QoS issues, try removing the old Trend Micro signature files, then rebooting:

Code:
rm /jffs/signature/rule.trf
reboot

After reboot, wait at least 5 minutes before checking if it starts working.

Hi Merlin,

May I ask can you merge the latest code of minidlna from their git? The latest code fixed some problems affects my TV.

Thanks

Asus' code is too different from the stock minidlna code now, merging is too difficult.

Asus is currently already fairly up-to-date, they updated it a few weeks ago.

This is not a complaint but an explanation of my experience.

Reports and feedback are fine. What triggered me and led me to that answer was people actually making demands for fixes when they are running code that is still early development, as if it was the most important thing to do. At this early point in development, it's not.

Those with QoS issues, try removing the old Trend Micro signature files, then rebooting:

Code:
reboot

I solved mine with a full power off - it didn't start after a software reboot following the upgrade, but did following power-off for 30 secs

RT-AC68U log full of

Code:
Jan 19 18:21:30 lldpd[329]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available
Jan 19 18:21:40 lldpd[329]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available
Jan 19 18:21:40 lldpd[329]: unable to send packet on real device for eth1: No buffer space available
Jan 19 18:21:50 lldpd[329]: unable to send packet on real device for eth1: No buffer space available
Jan 19 18:21:50 lldpd[329]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available
Jan 19 18:22:00 lldpd[329]: unable to send packet on real device for eth1: No buffer space available
Jan 19 18:22:00 lldpd[329]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available
Jan 19 18:22:10 lldpd[329]: unable to send packet on real device for eth1: No buffer space available
Jan 19 18:22:10 lldpd[329]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available

Memory
Total
249.71 MB
Free 101.09 MB
Buffers 1.37 MB
Cache 11.98 MB
Swap 0.00 / 0.00 MB

EDIT: Just seen in the official firmware thread that this has been reported and Asus say its just a debug message which will be fixed in the next release.

Code:
reboot

Tried your suggestion, but to no avail. Toggled QoS after about 10 minutes, waited 5 minutes, no charts. Tried @brummygit 's suggestion (which I tried before, but wasn't sure whether that was on 382 or on 384), but that didn't work either. I'm letting QoS for what it is now, let's see how this progresses. I might do a clean install to make sure there are no things from the past causing issues.

Reports and feedback are fine. What triggered me and led me to that answer was people actually making demands

One remark which I have to get off my chest: please keep in mind that a large amount of forum members are not native english speakers. I didn't read any actual 'demands' in the post that triggered you, so it might just have come out wrong. I do understand why it could be easily misinterpreted. This comment is only regarding the post which triggered you, I know there are many people who actually do behave like a bunch of morons. I'm a long time forum member myself who had his account removed at some point because, as a non-native english speaker, somehow things repeatedly and unintentedly came out wrong, which caused several frustrating miscommunications and apparently I annoyed some other developers, which was definitely not my intention. I made a new account after several months cause I missed it and now try even more to carefully choose my words, hoping I won't accidently offend anyone. I have nothing but good intentions and come here to learn and, wherever possible, to contribute. Please forgive me for going off-topic, but I just had to let you know.

Tried your suggestion, but to no avail. Toggled QoS after about 10 minutes, waited 5 minutes, no charts. Tried @brummygit 's suggestion (which I tried before, but wasn't sure whether that was on 382 or on 384), but that didn't work either. I'm letting QoS for what it is now, let's see how this progresses. I might do a clean install to make sure there are no things from the past causing issues.

One remark which I have to get off my chest: please keep in mind that a large amount of forum members are not native english speakers. I didn't read any actual 'demands' in the post that triggered you, so it might just have come out wrong. I do understand why it could be easily misinterpreted. This comment is only regarding the post which triggered you, I know there are many people who actually do behave like a bunch of morons. I'm a long time forum member myself who had his account removed at some point because, as a non-native english speaker, somehow things repeatedly and unintentedly came out wrong, which caused several frustrating miscommunications and apparently I annoyed some other developers, which was definitely not my intention. I made a new account after several months cause I missed it and now try even more to carefully choose my words, hoping I won't accidently offend anyone. I have nothing but good intentions and come here to learn and, wherever possible, to contribute. Please forgive me for going off-topic, but I just had to let you know.
I actually thought of saying the same to Merlin but did not. Since did anyway, I have to agree to your point. Many people visiting the forums are not native English speakers, neither am I for that matter. I do understand how that post was perceived in a bad way, but after visiting the forums of a big Chinese smartphone manufacturer for a few months I kinda recognised the type of language. English is often used like this from Asians, especially Indians from what I've noticed. They do not mean to offend, probably the same sentence in their language is perceived as a polite request.

In any case, the flip side is that when you post on an English forum you must try to use the language as best you can, others don't always have time or patience to decipher it. It's an unperfect world.

Status
Not open for further replies.