What's new

PS4 LAG with test results!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cable, But that test fails also besides the PS4
If yours works why is my UPnP stopping and yours working?

Well, i don't really know, but that's why i like to found out, why your UPnP are shouting down.

Before you flash this RMerlin firmware, did you do a factory reset and then install the firmware and do again a factory reset? And manually add all your settings, not restore?

Are you having lag on all of your games you are playing or only one special game?

And since you are using cable from router to your PS4, which port on the router are you using to connect your PS4?

Last edited:
Well, i don't really know, but that's why i like to found out, why your UPnP are shouting down.

Before you flash this RMerlin firmware, did you do a factory reset and then install the firmware and do again a factory reset? And manually add all your settings, not restore?

Are you having lag on all of your games you are playing or only one special game?

And since you are using cable from router to your PS4, which port on the router are you using to connect your PS4?

port 4 on the router
I did a WPS reset .
this is not the only time I did this (many many other times and all the same results with 3 now 87r routers all in my ISP tho), this problem has been going on for months , its just now someone gave me a test program to figure out what exactly is going on.

I rebooted the router and checked the format jiffs partition at the same time
1. when I reboot I have to go into WAN in the firmware and click apply to get internet access again (this has been happening to me for some time now with merlins firmware)

2. at the moment my UPnP is working but it will fail again

port 4 on the router
I did a WPS reset .
this is not the only time I did this (many many other times and all the same results with 3 now 87r routers all in my ISP tho), this problem has been going on for months , its just now someone gave me a test program to figure out what exactly is going on.

I also use port 3 and 4 on my 87U.
You don't get any kind of error in the syslog?
I don't know if the WPS reset is the right thing to do. I always use the reset button on the back of my router, to do factory reset and i always add my settings manually.
I just run that test on my smartphone, no problem here.

So, it must be something that make your UPnP to shutdown.
I use AiProtection (all Network Protection, Parental Control), Adaptive QoS(QoS type - Adaptive type)

I rebooted the router and checked the format jiffs partition at the same time
1. when I reboot I have to go into WAN in the firmware and click apply to get internet access again (this has been happening to me for some time now with merlins firmware)

2. at the moment my UPnP is working but it will fail again

hmm, I believe you are using a modem from your ISP?

Ran that test and upNp is now a yes, but it will change again

I also use port 3 and 4 on my 87U.
You don't get any kind of error in the syslog?
I don't know if the WPS reset is the right thing to do. I always use the reset button on the back of my router, to do factory reset and i always add my settings manually.
I just run that test on my smartphone, no problem here.

So, it must be something that make your UPnP to shutdown.
I use AiProtection (all Network Protection, Parental Control), Adaptive QoS(QoS type - Adaptive type)

hmm, I believe you are using a modem from your ISP?

No I purchased this cable modem but it is what they supply a cisco one

I am going to leave this on for the night but it will happen again
So
is there a manual way to erase nvram in terminal to the router?
I do this all the time in dd-wrt, but I think it may be different in Asus base
just to make sure everything is gone and I will flash again tomorrow after work, but I want to make sure this router is very very clean.
Thank You

No I purchased this cable modem but it is what they supply a cisco one

I am going to leave this on for the night but it will happen again
So
is there a manual way to erase nvram in terminal to the router?
I do this all the time in dd-wrt, but I think it may be different in Asus base
just to make sure everything is gone and I will flash again tomorrow after work, but I want to make sure this router is very very clean.
Thank You

You can use:

mtd-erase2 nvram
nvram commit & reboot

CUSTOM/FORK RMERLIN FIRMWARE

But the reset button on the back have the same effect, just push that button for more that 5 seconds til you see the power led start blinking :)

Last edited:
On ASUS 3.0.0.4.378_4376 firmware:

NAT support for Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) (?): Yes

This is with 11 days 21 hours 12 minutes 59 seconds uptime as reported by the firmware.

Stock configuration + Adaptive QoS on and enabled. CTF is also still enabled. No lag issues in any games whatsoever.

Ok thanks, I will reflash tomorrow with all suggestions and report back thank you all.

I found that upnp was not working on my RT-AC3200. None of the xbox's on my network would work at the nat was coming up restricted. No ports we being forwarded under upnp.

I'm not sure if it will help you, but I found a site on the net that said to follow these steps:

- Disable Nat Accelration.
- Reboot.
- Disable upnp.
- Reboot.
- Enable portforwarding.
- Reboot.
- Enable upnp.
- Reboot.

Following this advice 2 xbox 360's and 1 xb1's can now run at the same time with properly working nat and upnp is working like a charm..

I found that upnp was not working on my RT-AC3200. None of the xbox's on my network would work at the nat was coming up restricted. No ports we being forwarded under upnp.

I'm not sure if it will help you, but I found a site on the net that said to follow these steps:

- Disable Nat Accelration.
- Reboot.
- Disable upnp.
- Reboot.
- Enable portforwarding.
- Reboot.
- Enable upnp.
- Reboot.

Following this advice 2 xbox 360's and 1 xb1's can now run at the same time with properly working nat and upnp is working like a charm..
When you say enable port forward
I take just enable the setting and not input ports ?

I get the 'not found' message all the time (i.e. a reboot doesn't make any difference) am running Merlin 378.51

Trying the suggestion from crazyea

my PS4 lag test is over 8 seconds

As a side note, as I've mentioned before, your "lag test" is very inaccurate - there are too many external variables which vary greatly between tests and it's not a true indicator of a single issue, as it relies on the very inconsistent PlayStation Network to complete the tests. My PS4 connection tests take over 10 seconds to run but I have no issues with UPnP nor any issues with lag in games. Can we agree that this test is pointless and shouldn't be considered?

I get the 'not found' message all the time (i.e. a reboot doesn't make any difference) am running Merlin 378.51

Trying the suggestion from crazyea

OK.. still getting 'not found' on this test after making the changes as per crazyea (just enabling port forwarding, not adding anything)

PS3 also says upnp not available

I have no clue which is better to use with Nat loopback. Not even sure what it does, or how to tell if it's working correctly. But I am using Merlin over Asus setting, as he recommended we use it on this latest firmware.... Haven't seen much lag with my Xbox One

The NAT loopback is only for people who need to access their own forwarded ports while inside their network. It has nothing to do with console port forwarding.

Thanks Merlin - any idea why UPNP is showing as not found on this test, but also by my PS3 - it is on in the 87u config.

I am running 378.51

Thanks

Ok
I am trying out just about every suggestion here and also this one

I am running a RT-AC87R with Merlin's 378.51_newtn. It has been running well with my PS4 for the last four days. The PS4 is connected through a wireless bridge on 5GHz. To get UPNP to work consistently on the PS4 and other consoles, I have to disable NAT Acceleration, and enable IGMP Snooping on 5GHz, . I also go into the LAN - IPTV tab, and enable both IGMP Proxy and IGMP Snooping, and set the DHCP Routes to RFC3442 & Microsoft. Prior to making these changes, I would struggle to consistently get Open NAT on the PS4. It may or may not work for you, but I thought I would throw it out there. Good luck.

Merlin,
Before I I just cleared nvram and reset my router I tried and got my ps4 lag and ran this new test, well the new test passed still, but my lag test failed, so I totally powered off the PS4 and then on and it did pass.

I am trying all suggestions and see what fails (hopefully nothing), I will post back after 24 hours.
I have also turned off all beam forming
and set rotation interval to 0 (as suggested by someone else in another forum) to get rid of all wifi issues (I hope).

EDIT:
After every reboot I have to go into WAN and hit apple to get internet access. This sucks because if I am not here to do this and the router reboots I get the phone calls.

Thanks Merlin - any idea why UPNP is showing as not found on this test, but also by my PS3 - it is on in the 87u config.

I am running 378.51

Thanks
try rebooting the router and test again, I am testing other options.