What's new

RE: building my network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ohillary

New Around Here
Hello,
I am looking for help building my network. I have existing netgear products (802.11g) but they are old. Right now I have a cable modem and wired router in bedroom wired to a switch and wireless router in the living room (see attached). This setup has worked for me but there is a bottle-neck in bandwidth after the router (20mb/s out of modem, 5 mb/s out of the router) I also want to add a couple of internet-ready tvs and would feel more "at-ease" if they were wired for streaming (i want Gigabit Ethernet ports at all junctions).
Problem: existing wireless works ok in LR but was insufficient when located in BR, hence the wired BR router. But new wired routers are hard to find and I don't think a 802.11n wireless router in BR will cover the house.
Solutions:
1. can i put a 802.11n wireless router in BR and just use it as a wired only router connected to another 802.11n wireless router in LR that would be the wireless hub?
2. replace wired router in BR with wireless and have 1 or more Wireless Range Extenders or Access Points (i don't know which to use)

Using the great resources on SNB, I have spec'd some components but the important thing is the setup, imho.

Existing Cable modem = Linksys BEFCMU10 ver3
Possible Cable modem = motorola sb6120
Switch = D-Link DGS-1008G 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch
Wired Router = Cisco RVS4000 4-port Gigabit Security Router - VPN
Wireless router = ASUS RT-N56U
Wireless Range Extenders or Access Points = no idea

thank you in advance for your considered reply,
ohillary

proposed network diagram

this got lost . . .

network diagram copy2.jpg

1. can i put a 802.11n wireless router in BR and just use it as a wired only router connected to another 802.11n wireless router in LR that would be the wireless hub?
Sure. You can just shut off wireless on any wireless router. Conversely, you can convert any wireless router to just an access point.

2. replace wired router in BR with wireless and have 1 or more Wireless Range Extenders or Access Points (i don't know which to use)
I would use a second AP connected via Ethernet or 200 Mbps powerline before I'd use a wireless extender.

HomePlug AV - see section in this forum on that, and MoCA.
Instead of a repeater or "extender" (which are a major PITA), you can expand coverage by adding a WiFi access point (AP). This connects to the WiFi router via either a cat5 cable run (if viable), or HomePlug AV which essentially uses the home's AC wiring in lieu of running cat5 cable. Or use MoCA to do the same job, but via existing TV coax if it goes where you need.

PS: any low cost WiFi router can be re-purposed as an AP. See FAQs on that.

Of the 2 "solutions" (both of my conjecture and therefore, subject to other, more knowledgeable possibilities - if there's a better way, please tell me) which would you use?
Solutions:
1. can i put a 802.11n wireless router in BR and just use it as a wired only router connected to another 802.11n wireless router in LR that would be the wireless hub? (I buy 2 802.11n wireless routers and turn off wireless on the primary and keep the wireless function on the secondary)
2. replace wired router in BR with wireless and have 1 or more Access Points (I buy 2 802.11n wireless routers and keep the wireless function on the primary and make the secondary an AP)

And which components are both at the top of their class and most reliable (set and forget)? Or would you suggest others?
Existing Cable modem = Linksys BEFCMU10 ver3
Possible Cable modem = motorola sb6120
Switch = D-Link DGS-1008G 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch
Wired Router = Cisco RVS4000 4-port Gigabit Security Router - VPN
Wireless router = ASUS RT-N56U
Wireless Range Extenders or Access Points = no idea

thanks in advance for your considered reply,
ohillary

sorry about re-posting 1 & 2 as questions; think of them as choices:
1. I buy 2 802.11n wireless routers and turn off wireless on the primary and keep the wireless function on the secondary
2. I buy 2 802.11n wireless routers and keep the wireless function on the primary and make the secondary an AP

which choice is more robust, 1 or 2?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!