What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flashed RT-AC86U from 384.11_beta2 to 384.11
Format JFFS partition on next boot, factory reset & manually reconfigured settings

Settings used

DHCP Server
ExpressVPN Client
DoT
Traffic Analyzer
Adaptive QoS
AIProtection
Various scripts

All have been up and running for 24 hours with no problems

My thanks to themiron and rmerlin for the addition of DoT and your excellent firmware

Also my thanks to thelonelycoder, Jack Yaz & Adamm for your scripts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not just a router issue, it's also a USB device issue. A poorly shielded USB cable or a plastic USB enclosure can still potentially interfere. For instance, I couldn't plug a USB thumbdrive on my monitor's USB hub without my wireless mouse becoming problematic - I had to move the mouse receiver to a port on my PC - far away from the monitor.

Personally, I have never encountered any issue with my routers whenever I tested for 2.4 GHz-related interference while using a USB3 drive plugged to it.

@RMerlin - Not to hi jack the thread but do you think we should try not to downgrade our USB3 flash drives to USB2 modes? Most recommendations in the forums have been to switch to USB2 mode before installing scripts.

And, I am curious...how do you test for 2.4GHz-related interference?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any 4 into 1 powered hub 3.0 from Ebay will work - there are many chinese variants to choose from - most will work just fine. A powered hub is better than a non powered hub especially if your planning on using all 4 ports - there are 7 into 1 powered hubs available as well.
Thanks for you reply,
Would you mind to share (doesn't have to be a picture, you can describe it) how does it show up on the webUI?

@RMerlin - Not to hi jack the thread but do you think we should try not to downgrade our USB3 flash drives to USB2 modes? Most recommendations in the forums have been to switch to USB2 mode before installing scripts.

And, I am curious...how do you test for 2.4GHz-related interference?

Thank you

simple - go to system log - wireless log - on an AC 5300 you will get Noise threshold on 2.4Ghz band. Test this with USB 2.0 mode and 3.0 mode. If you have exactly same noise threshold you dont have any interference. If the threshold on 3.0 is -70dBm and on 2.0 is -90dBm - then you have 20 dBm interference created by 2.4ghx using 3.0 USB mode. Normally this is not an issue unless you have clients close to or beyond the noise threshold. Eg like myself

Noise threshold for 2.4ghz when USB 3.0 mode selected = -72 dBm RSSI
Noise threshold for 2.4 ghz when USB 2.0 selected = -92dBm RSSI

obviously this affects any wifi clients between -73 to -91 dBm RSSI - my wifi clients in back shed are at -90dBm RSSI - therefore USB 2.0 mode is the only way I get stable connection.

The client RSSI can be viewed for each client at system log-wireless log

simple - go to system log - wireless log - on an AC 5300 you will get Noise threshold on 2.4Ghz band. Test this with USB 2.0 mode and 3.0 mode. If you have exactly same noise threshold you dont have any interference. If the threshold on 3.0 is -70dBm and on 2.0 is -90dBm - then you have 20 dBm interference created by 2.4ghx using 3.0 USB mode. Normally this is not an issue unless you have clients close to or beyond the noise threshold. Eg like myself

obviously this affects any wifi clients between -73 to -91 dBm RSSI - my wifi clients in back shed are at -90dBm RSSI - therefore USB 2.0 mode is the only way I get stable connection.

Thank you I will check it out. Some basic knowledge on the true impact this has on your clients at or beyond the threshold would definitely be useful.

While most of us are aware that the interference exists, we never think too much of it or test for it during router setups. Obviously, we all read on the effect microwaves, 2.4 GHz phones and other devices have on your WiFi and that you should be moving your routers away form these devices, etc, etc.

Would be curious how one can test the interference impact on the clients and on the router itself from other devices nearby....

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    274.7 KB · Views: 403
AC86u updated fine from 384.8_2 , did a reset after as well due to the version gap.

Was a very smooth update and so far all seems ok, nice to see network map is finally fixed, no more devices disappearing and reappearing every second. Thanks @RMerlin.

@L&LD

I followed you minimal and manual configuration guide, just a few settings I could not find in the GUI. Some of the settings may have changed or are default now but I struggled finding these in the GUI

• Disable media server.
  • Disable network share.
  • Disable NFSD.
  • Disable FTP.
Thanks as well, very good info.

Any 4 into 1 powered hub 3.0 from Ebay will work - there are many chinese variants to choose from - most will work just fine. A powered hub is better than a non powered hub especially if your planning on using all 4 ports - there are 7 into 1 powered hubs available as well.
Has the situation with usb 3.0 hubs changed lately? They used to be problematic earlier afaik.

Two years ago:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/u...l-hard-drives-connected-to-asus-rt-87u.37972/

Rmerlin wrote:
Asuswrt does not support USB 3.0 hubs.
It's mostly because it requires specific driver support, unlike USB2 hubs that tended to be "dumb" devices.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-10_20-5-0.png
    upload_2019-5-10_20-5-0.png
    274.1 KB · Views: 274
  • upload_2019-5-10_20-6-27.png
    upload_2019-5-10_20-6-27.png
    274.1 KB · Views: 415
Thank you I will check it out. Some basic knowledge on the true impact this has on your clients at or beyond the threshold would definitely be useful.

While most of us are aware that the interference exists, we never think too much of it or test for it during router setups. Obviously, we all read on the effect microwaves, 2.4 GHz phones and other devices have on your WiFi and that you should be moving your routers away form these devices, etc, etc.

Would be curious how one can test the interference impact on the clients and on the router itself from other devices nearby....

my true impact in my environment is again simple to define. I cant connect to my clients in the shed with 3.0 mode enabled. period.
I can connect 100% of the time to my shed clients in usb 2.0 mode. There is no simpler test defined by man., BTW my shed is about 25 metres from router with router indoors shielded by a wall.

Last edited:
(Sorry, a bit off-topic, but just wanted to say that) with my router I have usb 3.0 mode enabled and I have connected a passive (hub has a separate power supply but it is not connected) usb 2.0 hub to it with two usb 2.0 thumbdrives connected and they seem to work OK. The usb 3.0 connector of the router seems to provide enough juice for the thumbdrives even without external power supply of the hub.

The interference is not a problem with my wireless devices because they are located rather close to the router.

Just tested DoT with the new firmware and all working fine here. Just to be sure, do the WAN DNS servers and IPv6 DNS servers get overwritten by the DoT configured servers?

I also use a chromecast at home, would I break it's functionality if I would enable DNSfiltering and force it to use the Router or is it better to exclude such devices from the DNS filter?
If anyone is using PIA VPN Client Application, how do you configure DNS Settings of PIA application? Or do you? I would like to enjoy of the benefits of both worlds (both VPN and DoT) but I am not sure how to do it properly...

On my RT-AC68U it's not showing DHCP clients on the Network Map page. Count stays at zero. When I click on View List, it reports "No data in table." Other than that, looks like it's working OK.

I have mild noise interference with usb 3.0 turned in, I fluctuate from -89 to -92 dBm RSSI and that is using usb 3.0 turned on