What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 (and 384.13_2) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received a brand new RT-AX88U this afternoon, router was accessbile on 192.168.50.1 as default, all I did was upgrade to 384.14 - since then I cannot get to the main page anymore - neither on 192.168.1.1 not 50.1 - currently trying to figure how to get access - not sure even reset or recovery mode works - PANIC :)
Luckily enough my RT-AC86U works ...
Use the domain name instead.
http://router.asus.com

Received a brand new RT-AX88U this afternoon, router was accessbile on 192.168.50.1 as default, all I did was upgrade to 384.14 - since then I cannot get to the main page anymore - neither on 192.168.1.1 not 50.1 - currently trying to figure how to get access - not sure even reset or recovery mode works - PANIC :)
Luckily enough my RT-AC86U works ...

Try unplugging it completely, all cables and whatever attached to it and let it "cool off", actually completely drain for power for 15-20 minutes. Then try to do a recovery again...

Unplug, then press the wps button while plugging it in, leave it pressed for about 30 seconds (all lights will go out) then unplug and you can plug it in to configure it.
MAN - that did the trick and it looks like I am back in business - not sure though what has caused the mess - anyway, will give it another try!

@bluepoint - I did try the domain name but did not work at all - unfortunately

Off to the next attempt ...

Reactions: JMS
So a little bit progress - as long as I put 384.13 on the AX88U I can leverage config from my AC86U - as soon as I then try to upgrade the AX88U to 384.14 it goes into the woods. So it currently looks like the only way to get the new AX88U on 384.14 is a manual config from scratch ... :-(

So a little bit progress - as long as I put 384.13 on the AX88U I can leverage config from my AC86U - as soon as I then try to upgrade the AX88U to 384.14 it goes into the woods. So it currently looks like the only way to get the new AX88U on 384.14 is a manual config from scratch ... :-(
You should never copy config from another router, as you just experienced it can cause weird problems.

You should never copy config from another router, as you just experienced it can cause weird problems.
Confirmed - BUT: I did save the manual config on the AX88U and after restore on the same HW it is in the woods. Tried the same with 384.13 without any problem. Seems to be something tied to 384.14 - will continue to monitor ...

@dev_null / @RMerlin / @Val D.

Consolidating information on the web GUI issues related to AI Protection here.

I've done some additional troubleshooting and it appears the two apps calling out to the websites in question are Facebook and iFunny. Both sites are CDN sites hosting videos, so it appears they are legit. Interestingly enough, it's not the sites themselves but the volume of requests that seems to be at issue.

Both my youngest daughter and oldest daughter use the apps on their phones but for some reason, the iPhone sends a lot more requests than the Android. Additionally, the number of requests from her phone seems to increase 4-5x with 384.14 final installed.

For now, I'm going to do a clean install of 384.14 from scratch and not enable AI Protection. It's a shame because I would love to use it but I'm 99.999% certain it is the cause of my issue.

Will Merlin be doing a ax88 test build with new ASUS release don’t want to revert from 15 alpha 1 as it seems ok for what I use

Sorry. I was cross posting between this thread and the other thread where you and I were discussing stability related to enabling AI Protection.

Nothing we discussed there is related to @RMerlin work. As I said before, what he added to Asuswrt is working properly. This thread is for Asuswrt-Merlin, i.e. wrong place to discuss AiProtection.

I upgraded with no issue with the exception of the wan status GUI displays that it is disconnected but really it isn't . All services and traffic are running smoothly. Anyone else having this issue?

I upgraded with no issue with the exception of the wan status GUI displays that it is disconnected but really it isn't . All services and traffic are running smoothly. Anyone else having this issue?
Here we go again....
Search forums, multiple people have mentioned this over numerous versions of firmware.

Here we go again....
Search forums, multiple people have mentioned this over numerous versions of firmware.
Yes, but a number of us are now seeing this (where we hadn't before) and don't have the supposed culprits of wan status testing enabled... when we upgraded from .13 to .14, where .13 didn't show this problem and .14 does.

Confirmed - BUT: I did save the manual config on the AX88U and after restore on the same HW it is in the woods. Tried the same with 384.13 without any problem. Seems to be something tied to 384.14 - will continue to monitor ...

Restore config is (IMHO) only for a same hardware, same firmware scenario.
If either of those differs from when the config was saved, any ‘restore’ needs to be done from scratch, manually. :)

For now, I'm going to do a clean install of 384.14 from scratch and not enable AI Protection. It's a shame because I would love to use it but I'm 99.999% certain it is the cause of my issue.
DNS requests used to be cached locally on the router by default, could that be a reason for volume/instability ?

Nothing we discussed there is related to @RMerlin work. As I said before, what he added to Asuswrt is working properly. This thread is for Asuswrt-Merlin, i.e. wrong place to discuss AiProtection.

This problem was introduced, for me, after upgrading from .14 beta 3 to .14 release. So it is related to RMerlin's work, at least tangentially.

at least two have seen these log entries, in my case they are continuous since upgrading to 384.14, I did not run any of the betas but did not have this issue with 384.13

dnsmasq-script 2857 - - dnsmasq-script[2857]: connect error: No such file or directory
dnsmasq-script 2857 - - dnsmasq-script[2857]: [SEND_AMAS_NODE_EVENT4684)] ERROR connecting:No such file or directory.

Any idea what the cause is? Other than the log entries things seem to be working as normal.

My first issue, my current signature is a representation of my current setup. I have set the main router to reboot every morning. On getting up this morning, I had noticed that 2 nodes had completely disappeared from the node listing. On the physical checking of the nodes, I could see that the both of them and gone into a power off state, i.e power button on but nothing running, all led's off, powering the nodes off and on again fixed the problem. All nodes are connected via wifi to the main. I have seen this occasionally happen on the main, but not on the nodes. This is the first time I have seen nodes affected by the now famous 86U hang on boot problem. With the installation of 384.14 ALL nodes, including the main, were factory reset before and after instalionation. I have never seen this problem affect 86U nodes before as they are not subject to the schedule reboot of the main. On checking of the log (main), there is nothing in it to suggest what may have caused the issue.

Suppose I will just keep an eye on it for now. Of note, I am also not running any Trend Macro, no scripts and no VPN anywhere, fixed channels and bandwidth, on both the 2 and 5 bands, its just a basic setup.

I noticed as well that "Enable IGMP Snooping" under the Professional tab, for both bands, is on by default with 384.14 but off by default in 384.13. Is there a reason for this?

Has anybody else had 86U nodes going into a power off state like this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.