What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 (and 384.13_2) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be sure to check the hash of the RT-AC86U_384.14_2_cferom_ubi.w file, not the .zip file. I use the utility Hasher...

I just tried to update my AC86U to today’s 384.14-2, and something catastrophic has happened. I get a red WAN light, but more importantly no router interface or even WiFi AP.

dropbear is loaded, so I was able to SSH in from my wired PC. ‘dmesg’ does show bad blocks on the nand/jffs, but would that really prevent the whole system from booting?

I was also using USB swap for amtm/diversion/etc but USB in or out doesn’t make a difference.

Prior to today, it had been up for a couple of weeks with no issues. I did see those ipv6 errors (“Failed to send DHCPV6 message”) in the logs prior to upgrading, which was new to me, but I don’t know that it’s relevant (I don’t think my Fios has it yet and I may have set the router to look for one)

I did try a hard reset by pressing the reset button while online, but that didn’t actually do anything. Held it in while power cycling; the power light did start flashing, but it didn’t seem like it was doing anything else; rebooted normally and got right back to where I was.

Otherwise, I don’t know what other info is relevant beyond upgrading from a couple of versions ago (384.12 I think?). Anything I can do to try and recover?

Last edited:
I just tried to update my AC86U to today’s 384.14-2, and something catastrophic has happened. I get a red WAN light, but more importantly no router interface or even WiFi AP.

So, after finally figuring out how to clear the config (WPS button, not reset button!), I've determined that my existing config was the issue. I was able to restore and load my JFFS backup just fine, but once I restored my config, it went all wonky again.

Time to learn how to decode the CFG so I can ensure I set everything back up correctly.

I'm definitely not saying 384.14_2 itself is the issue, but I am curious if there's something in the upgrade path (I skipped all releases after .11_2 until now) that needs to be considered.

So, I have had zero luck with the policy rules in Merlin 14. I think I figured out my propagation problem and that was due to my NAS being trunked. Undid that and got things flowing again. However, I am unable to get anything I don't want on the VPN to have internet access. Is this an issue with Merlin or my seemingly troublesome AC-RT3100 router?

Asus RT-AC86U, just flashed from 384.15 alpha, back to 384.14_2, factory reset and manual reconfigure after flash. Everything seems to work fine, I see nothing odd in any router screen. My sig has utilities I use, all up-to-date.

Google Play Music on my Linux desktop keeps complaining about every 90-120 seconds -
Screenshot-at-2020-01-01-15-47-28.png

Thanks. So is this the official guidance and consensus? No reset needed.
Not official. A lot will depend on your setup and router model, I just offer my experience as anecdote and comparison, ymmv. 384.14_2 was only released yesterday, I'm an early adopter, so keep checking back to monitor the experience of others, e.g., @Morgon above who had a "catastrophic" experience, on the same router.

My Traffic Analysis reporting app seems to have had a major Y2020 problem. It has somehow decided that all traffic since the beginning of time happened simultaneously at my local time: 2 AM January 1, 2020.

At first I thought this was a bug, and it still may be, but it seems now that it is really just the biggest random 'spike' ever to be recorded. The previous Daily and Monthly data are still intact as far as tabular data is concerned. Since I don't see a lot of other reports, I assume I am just seeing a mega-spike and not a Y2020 bug.

This affects the Last 24 Hours, Daily and Monthly graphical displays rendering them useless. Going back to version 384.13.0 does not change anything. The reason that the graph displays are now useless is because of the auto-scaling. Anything new isn't large enough to even show up above the zero baseline.

Does anyone have ideas on how to edit this bad record out of the stored data? I have the data on a USB stick, but I only know enough to be dangerous.

In the mean time, I am going to move up to 384.14.1 as that should hopefully reduce chances of further spikes.

> Gerald Boutin

I have an interesting update to report. Since earlier today when I had what appeared to be some sort of random spike appear, I have updated to 384.14.1 and now to 384.14.2. I just checked my traffic displays and they are back to normal and the mega-spike is gone and all stats are correct again.

I am used to problems coming and going, but not repairing their damage. Was there something in the 384.14.2 that did this?

View attachment 20611 View attachment 20612

Updated my AC88U from 14 to 14_2 without issue. Strangely I hadn’t seen any more traffic spikes under 14 since the ones I initially reported so I can’t really say if 14_2 fixes that or not. It did not retroactively fix them.

Updated RT-AC86U from 384.14_0 to 384.14_2 a few hours ago - no factory reset, all running smoothly.

Going from 384.13 to the latest 384.14 release, recommended reset of the router, opinions? 13 is just so stable.

dirty upgrade from 384.14 to 384.14_2 for AC88U, so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.