What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The overhead is fixed Merlin has an overhead value for each connection type, ddwrt had fixed percentaged for bandwidth reserved, it's actually more complicated to therefore ask people to do something that can be done In the script especially when you factor in obscure speed test values that don't easily round to whole numbers easily.

Not everything is simple maths, I've seen enough new users who just input the values without doing that calculations expecting it to work granted there is instructions I personally don't expect people to read them or else there would be a lot less request for help.

Implementing reduced bandwidth like your suggesting would do more harm than good. There are so many factors affecting the optimal setting that making that change could ruin qos for a large percentage of users. What your asking is like making a car that only does 50mph. Thats not gonna work out well on the highway or in a school zone. Its one setting that is very unique to each user.

Possibly stupid question - why is my bufferbloat A+ with https on dslreports and at best a B with plain http?

Implementing reduced bandwidth like your suggesting would do more harm than good. There are so many factors affecting the optimal setting that making that change could ruin qos for a large percentage of users. What your asking is like making a car that only does 50mph. Thats not gonna work out well on the highway or in a school zone. Its one setting that is very unique to each user.
So we tell everyone to set a bandwidth reserved value of bettween 85-95% of total bandwidth, which is supposed to be done manually, but I ask for a drop down menu that does it automatically how is that harmful if you can choose a value from that range?

What I mean was a toggle menu the same as Merlin's overhead values except with the reserved bandwidth range's.

As usual if you don't understand what I said before just ask me for clarification super easy

Last edited:
What connection type would I use for Fibre? I don't' see it in the list.
One wasn't added the only overhead I know of there probably is more woould be from ppoe, but in my case I would be running dhcp from the ISP so it's different because I've got ipoe authentication which checks for the Mac address of ISP hardware.

The overhead is fixed Merlin has an overhead value for each connection type
I know and that's why I'm against an additional value that turns this screws. I can tell you that it also works perfectly fine with 100% of the desired bandwidth and correct overhead value (if ISP provisions more to compensate like in my case) so why should we limit this to only 95%? There is not only one truth out there. ;)

I know and that's why I'm against an additional value that turns this screws. I can tell you that it also works perfectly fine with 100% of the desired bandwidth and correct overhead value (if ISP provisions more to compensate like in my case) so why should we limit this to only 95%? There is not only one truth out there. ;)
You have no idea how qos works do you, you do realise that 100% bandwidth defeats the purpose of QoS the point of the band with limitation is to leave room to prevent the over saturation of the network.
The general reason is because before it was harder and still is to determine the exact packet overhead for each connection type.

I run both the per packet overhead values and the 95% bandwidth gives me a bigger over head to prevent saturation.

Does this new release require any special tweaking for VPN clients like the previous release? Thanks!

@Vexira what chris.at was saying is true. Some ISP providers overprovision bandwidth. No need to get hostile. He understands how it works.

Case in point:

If I currently buy 25mbps from Comcast they will provision it at 30mbps. (They usually overprovision 20%)

This would then allow a user to input 28mbps for qos or 112% on the slider if inputting paid for bandwidth.

I am simply against the slider.

If users do not want to read the instructions then I can’t do anything about that. ( this was made for users who want to tweak qos to their liking. I feel like these users can read a paragraph or two. It currently is so easy to setup it’s laughable )

I am also against running a Speedtest and automatically setting bandwidth as I feel an initial manual configuration is more optimal.

Generally people on Merlin-WRT running scripts are more advanced with involment. Let’s leave the negativity out of it, I am against it.

You are free to fork the project and go your path. All code is open.

I am seeing it in the web surfing class for both up and down. Maybe a bug?

Https version is probably undetected and would then default to web surfing. To confirm you can try to see what it shows up as in the table.

Does this new release require any special tweaking for VPN clients like the previous release? Thanks!

Included out of the box with no configuration. See -about or initial post.

Possibly stupid question - why is my bufferbloat A+ with https on dslreports and at best a B with plain http?

Mystery to me. But I may be including an experimental tweak next update via toggle box. ;) feel free to mess with it on/off and provide feedback

What connection type would I use for Fibre? I don't' see it in the list.

That selection is not super important. End result is a minor boost in accuracy.

It is more important to dial in the bandwidth setting.

Last edited:
@Vexira what chris.at was saying is true. Some ISP providers overprovision bandwidth. No need to get hostile. He understands how it works.

Case in point:

If I currently buy 25mbps from Comcast they will provision it at 30mbps. (They usually overprovision 20%)

This would then allow a user to input 28mbps for qos or 112% on the slider if inputting paid for bandwidth.

I am simply against the slider.

If users do not want to read the instructions then I can’t do anything about that. ( this was also made for users who want to tweak qos to their liking. I feel like these users can read a paragraph or two. It is so easy to setup it’s laughable )

I am also against running a Speedtest and automatically setting bandwidth as I feel a manual initial configuration is more optimal.
I realise a slider is pointless but chris.at didn't read, I agree a slider is out of the question but I was curious about how Merlin did implement a drop box of overhead values for overhead, I don't see how something similar is a major issue if it's reserved bandwidth percentages set in increments 80,85,90,95 with a toggle option, also you do forget that alot of users are not native English speakers, and I've had to manually set it up for some them via team viewer I'm talking about the old versions.

I'm not getting hostile at all merely disappointed that people can't read or bothering to actually read something after I adjusted a post besides he's acting like he's going off on his own tanget if I'm hostile the he's a troll and you of all people in the first post should know better, if he's so correct then why put in the first post to use the bandwidth calculation if we should just use per packet overhead instead.

Besides obviously not every ISP over provisions, the suggestion I was trying to make was a GUI variant of that old rule you gave me a long time ago for calculating the bandwidth form a value manually entered into the gui.

Here in Australia they over subscribe, and under provision, I have yet to see an ISP that over provisions here in Australia whilst it might be the case for people in other countries it's not here.

Yet I've never see one a suggestion to use full bandwidth even by yourself or any of the documents on QoS configuration or direct values form the ISP because it's not 100% accurate.

If I'm hostile then you obviously are bias and it's actually kind of amuisng consideing that in our earliest conversations around you were less than pleasant you disliked me asking questions. I've observed insistence jump in without reading then instantly take sides with some one or say that they are correct without context just to be opposed to me or paint me as some how not understanding of how it works, I get it you just don't like me for some reason.

This is about the second or third time you just read what someone else said, and just call them correct without full context, considering that you are going on about an automatic speed test, and a slider, when i stated that I understand a slider would be pointless but a drop down box with fixed bandwidth % values starting with 80% and finishing at 95% as a togglable option, labels as reserved bandwidth same as the front page of the thread, I don't see as to how that would hurt considering that it is less confusing than the per packet overhead.

Because logic dictates that if you ISP does over provision you would take the values form the multiple speed tests and if I remember correctly either average them out or use the lowest values, I can't remember exactly the process and use those or use what values speed test.net or whatever speed test site spits out.

Also with the slider if you did research in to how net duma or Netgear does it in Thier anti buffer bloat it's a fixed range.

Last edited:
@L&LD I have a fibre to the house connection. I use the overhead value of 4 as it represents the Ethernet network I have. Works perfect.

@Vexira

I just remember from your initial post (pre-edit?) telling @chris.at that you don’t think he know how QoS works at all due to his response to your slider . That is what I took as hostile.

On the other had I had conversations him via PM about QoS inner structure and personally know he is VERY familiar with what is going on under the hood.

I don’t think a slider is a terrible idea. I just don’t want to implement it vs the current instructions.

I too understand that users come from other countries and try my best to provide support. Thank you aswell for supporting those users.

I don’t blame users who barely understand English for not reading the first post.

Ones of my best testers to date barely speaks English and uses pictures/bold typeface for communicate better.

Last edited:
Vexira, calm down. Trust me that I read what you wrote and also that I know how QoS works and has to be set up. You have to accept that there are more realities than yours, no need to call me a troll. You can enter whatever you want as everyone can, even without fixed dropdown values. Thats all from me to that debate.

Here in Australia they over subscribe, and under provision, I have yet to see an ISP that over provisions here in Australia whilst it might be the case for people in other countries it's not here.

All HFC services on the Telstra and Optus networks (at-least until I swapped to fibre late 2017) are over-provisioned, I used to get something like 125/5 on my 100/5 Telstra connection. I know this is also very common in America with similar services.

Might want to take a breather, you comments come off very rude and patronizing, just because someone doesn't agree with you there is no need to insult them.

@Vexira

I just remember your initial post (pre-edit?) telling @chris.at that he you don’t think he know how QoS works at all due to his response.

On the other had personal conversations him via PM about QoS inner structure and know otherwise.

I don’t think a slider is a terrible idea. I just don’t want to implant vs the current instructions.

I too understand that users come from other countries but try my best to provide support. I don’t blame users who barely understand English for not reading the first oost.

I've had to deal with a few of them and I tell you it's making me feel that I need a learn a few new languages to translate it to Native for some of the other users.

I told him he doesn't understand because he wasn't paying attention to what I was saying, form what I've read about QoS and the percentages being there to account for overhead where it wasn't easy to determine I sepent countless hours trying to learn all I can so I can optimise my connection to it's maximum potential, upon reading the called mailing list, I was reading they were unsure exactly of the overhead for VDSL 2 especially when you phase in ipoe(DHCP on the ISP end) it becomes considerably difficult because you take out the pppoe and then there is the unknown overheads from the ISP on top of the dhcp.

You and anyone else who gets over provisions is lucky on our governments national broadband network we get sevely under provisioned a hell of alot less than we pay for so our speeds are up to 100/40 that can be anything form 98/38 to 78/29 and it's considered acceptable, grated I'm lucky ant my line is capable of 120/50 according to my modem but I get at most about 95/35-37 it's hit or miss on 20 year old copper cable

I also told him that instead of a slider why not what Merlin did with the drop boxes of fixed overhead values instead with the reserved percentages, the point was to help new and non Native English speakers have a visual reference that we could just point them to to simplify it.

Yes I do agree that the overhead does work but I also use the 95 some times I changed it to 90 because of how in predictable my connection is especially during school holidays it's slows down hard.

The old rule you gave me hasn't had log out put in a while I'll just have to check with overhead off to see what speeds throws up.

All HFC services on the Telstra and Optus networks (at-least until I swapped to fibre late 2017) are over-provisioned, I used to get something like 125/5 on my 100/5 Telstra connection. I know this is also very common in America with similar services.

Might want to take a breather, you comments come off very rude and patronizing, just because someone doesn't agree with you there is no need to insult them.
How am I insulting them, so when or being rude and patronising, so merely disagreeing with someone and saying that I'm disappointed because they didn't read a revised post is being rude and patronising, and what if I said that some one doesn't understand QoS that's an insult?

Also that is cable not DSL service I'm not familiar with using cable since all I've ever had was DSL services.

Why are you white knighing for him Im sure if he has an issue he can tell him himself and we could have a discussion.

Last edited:
@Vexira I'd like to clarify a few things.

I realise a slider is pointless

I do NOT think a slider is pointless. I just do not want to introduce one since it since it will make the end results a percent of a defined percent.

I'm not getting hostile

You have no idea how qos works do you, you do realise that 100% bandwidth defeats the purpose of QoS the point of the band with limitation is to leave room to prevent the over saturation of the network."

That WAS hostile.

you were less than pleasant you disliked me asking questions

I harbor ZERO negativity/dislike towards you.

If you recall, when that happened I mixed you up with another user who kept bugging me via PM daily.

When I realized that you were NOT that user I apologized for my negativity towards you and told you it wasn't intended for you. (I still have the PM!) This was a few years back!

---

Anyway, lets get the thread back on track!

Last edited:
@Vexira I'd like to clarify a few things.

I don't think it is pointless. I just do not want to introduce it since it will make the end results percents of a defined percent.

"You have no idea how qos works do you, you do realise that 100% bandwidth defeats the purpose of QoS the point of the band with limitation is to leave room to prevent the over saturation of the network."

This WAS hostile.

I mixed you up with another user who kept bugging me via PM daily!!

When I realized that wasn't you I apologized for my outburst. (I still have the PM!)

@Vexira I harbor no negativity towards you.
That was not hostile that was making a point if I was being hostile it would be In all caps, how many times have I read don't use 100% bandwidth, and how many times have I read that qos needs some form of reserved bandwidth,
I do remember Merlin saying before that if you don't know which overhead values to use leave it at 0 in response to one user, also due to the kernel difference and restrictions when I asked that it wasn't the full implementation of the fq-codel algorithm, form what I remeber on ddwrt and they do suggest to use the 95% for speed.test.net and 80 form isp advertised speeds. you

I remember the few posts back were some other users didn't read my post that was a response to some one else the conversation was detailed as usual and you jumped In Siad that they were right did not even look to see the practically ingored what I had Siad prior look I understand we are all probably tired and Im trying to avoid a misunderstanding.

Also I forgot and let go of before, I didn't know that only the first post gets read and edits don't because if that's that case then in future I'll respond with an edit rather then edit and existing to prevent further confusion, anything.

I actually hold you in high regard.
So I'm going to let go.

Last edited:
So we tell everyone to set a bandwidth reserved value of bettween 85-95% of total bandwidth, which is supposed to be done manually, but I ask for a drop down menu that does it automatically how is that harmful if you can choose a value from that range?

What I mean was a toggle menu the same as Merlin's overhead values except with the reserved bandwidth range's.

As usual if you don't understand what I said before just ask me for clarification super easy

Its a very rough range thats commonly believed to be most popular. That is all. In reality your personal connection quality is what determines your personal optimal setting. Im sure alot of people with really good connections get away with 97-99% while others with unstable poor connections may require 70%. Then theres satelite which is both unstable and super high ping, id guess they may need lower than 70 to maintain stable qos functionality.

I will get round to giving this a go again tomorrow.
But one question for a dummy like me lol.

I want to stick the ps4 and specifically udp gameserver traffic as ultimate priority.
The ea servers arent under ea.
thanks

I will get round to giving this a go again tomorrow.
But one question for a dummy like me lol.

I want to stick the ps4 and specifically udp gameserver traffic as ultimate priority.
The ea servers arent under ea.
thanks

I don’t think

only defining local IP + protocol will take effect right now as you expect (have to double check )

( I think the defined protocol currently is only evaluated when a port is defined).

I will implement that functionality in next release since it’s a great (more aggressive) alternative to the less aggressive existing gaming rule.

That or I will implant the defined gaming cidr to forward all udp traffic —> gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!