What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Understand the possible issues with coming from the same IP to the game server. I have seen that before on lower end routers from other vendors. My previous ASUS, the RT-AC68U did not have any issue with both of us in the same game. Please note though that it can depend on the server to and how it handles users. Some games think of it as the same user trying to cheat.

So far, nothing changed on the ASUS production page for code. https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/ROG-Rapture-GT-AC5300/HelpDesk_Download/

I just bought this router today and noticed a few things/issues so far. I used to use an Asus RT-AC5300 then uopgraded to the Netgear Nighthawk x10 3 weeks ago. I had issues with that router to. The QoS doesn't work. Also my XboxOne S would take 15+ minutes to connect to Xbox Live when powered on! When I setup and configured the Static IPs on the GT-AC5300 my Xbox Live connected within 15 seconds of powering on!

GT-AC5300 Issues
QoS enabled prevents you from doing anything via WAN such as web browsing or streaming.

RAM Usages is at MAX (RT-AC5300 didn't do this)

For a gaming router it doesn't have NAT options!! Are you kidding me? I spoke to Asus VIP Support and they claimed it would be enabled in the future! I need Open NAT for Xbox and this router doesn't support it! On the RT-AC5300 and x10 it's set to Secured by default.

DMZ doesn't work. I set it for 192.168.1.110 and my Xbox shows Moderated NAT Type. When I set the port forward manually by port/IP NAt went to Open. This proves the DMZ does NOT currently work!!

I have 14 days to test this router so that's what I'm going to do.

I'm on same 14 day trial run for me. I did as one user suggested, go and do a google search for this:
GT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_382_15431-g7834041

Its a chinese web site were they have this beta. I got it downloaded and installed to day. Took care of QoS and adaptive problem with the last official release. IT's working well so far.

Give it a try.

I just bought this router today and noticed a few things/issues so far. I used to use an Asus RT-AC5300 then uopgraded to the Netgear Nighthawk x10 3 weeks ago. I had issues with that router to. The QoS doesn't work. Also my XboxOne S would take 15+ minutes to connect to Xbox Live when powered on! When I setup and configured the Static IPs on the GT-AC5300 my Xbox Live connected within 15 seconds of powering on!

GT-AC5300 Issues
QoS enabled prevents you from doing anything via WAN such as web browsing or streaming.

RAM Usages is at MAX (RT-AC5300 didn't do this)

For a gaming router it doesn't have NAT options!! Are you kidding me? I spoke to Asus VIP Support and they claimed it would be enabled in the future! I need Open NAT for Xbox and this router doesn't support it! On the RT-AC5300 and x10 it's set to Secured by default.

DMZ doesn't work. I set it for 192.168.1.110 and my Xbox shows Moderated NAT Type. When I set the port forward manually by port/IP NAt went to Open. This proves the DMZ does NOT currently work!!

I have 14 days to test this router so that's what I'm going to do.

I presume so, however what is your ISP speed. Mines 100/3 and speed testing is working to spec with QOS disabled on this beta I have.

Can anyone please test WAN-LAN maximum throughput (with QoS turned off) on the beta firmware?

Hello DarkSarrow,
currently the production release (3.0.0.4.382.12184) which is from June 9, 2017 seems to break many of the features of this router. The beta code appears to re-enable those features to work.

Currently I would consider this router a BETA test for ASUS. There seems to be lots of issues that need addressed for such a premium priced router. ASUS has not been very quick to update code since June, despite many complaints. Please also note that this router is completely different hardware inside from the RT-AC5300. MerlinWRT is not currently, nor planned support per an earlier post in this chain if you used it on previous routers.

I have not tried the DMZ port however I am forwarding ports to my home video surveillance system and that works. Never been a fan of the DMZ port per I don't like to expose all ports to the internet. But I also know it is an easier way to setup servers, etc.

Do you know the chip set being used in the GT?

Hello DarkSarrow,
currently the production release (3.0.0.4.382.12184) which is from June 9, 2017 seems to break many of the features of this router. The beta code appears to re-enable those features to work.

Currently I would consider this router a BETA test for ASUS. There seems to be lots of issues that need addressed for such a premium priced router. ASUS has not been very quick to update code since June, despite many complaints. Please also note that this router is completely different hardware inside from the RT-AC5300. MerlinWRT is not currently, nor planned support per an earlier post in this chain if you used it on previous routers.

I have not tried the DMZ port however I am forwarding ports to my home video surveillance system and that works. Never been a fan of the DMZ port per I don't like to expose all ports to the internet. But I also know it is an easier way to setup servers, etc.

Hello DarkSarrow,

I removed the port forwarding and tried the DMZ and it worked this time. It shows Open NAT in Xbox as well.

OPEN NAT on dash board an in game? This for a single xbox?

OPEN NAT on dash board an in game? This for a single xbox?

Yes. Since the router doesn't have NAT support yet as the RT-AC5300 did I can't set Open NAT via router to utilize 2 XboxOne S in same network.. For a gaming router you would assume this to be there..

Ok, I'll give this a go as well. I haven't found any configurations to get open NAT in game with same game running. One is always Moderate. I loaded the beta and haven't had a chance to test it out with Adaptive QoS and Game mode set yet. Hope to this evening.

Ok, I'll give this a go as well. I haven't found any configurations to get open NAT in game with same game running. One is always Moderate. I loaded the beta and haven't had a chance to test it out with Adaptive QoS and Game mode set yet. Hope to this evening.

I set a dedicated IP 192.168.1.110 on XboxOne S and in the Router as well. Then I set DMZ to same IP. NAT went from Moderate to Open.

Was this for the first or 2nd console? and the status was OPEN in game?

Dedicated should be "reserved IP address" lol
These are always set on the router.

Was this for the first or 2nd console? and the status was OPEN in game?

Dedicated should be "reserved IP address" lol
These are always set on the router.

Not always. I set it on the XboxOne S under Manual IP then put same thing under Reserved in Router. The .110 IP is open the other XboxOne S shows Strict. Once this router releases Nat support and you can set to "Open" via router all Game Consoles will work as Open NAT. On the Nighthawk x10 I set it to Open and both Xbox showed as Open. I returned this router though because it had networking issues such as every power up it would take 15+ minutes to connect to Xbox live. This router does it instantly!

Static IPs on devices should be outside of the routers default IP address pool and not also set to reserve ON the router at the same time. Probably why you see Strict NAT. Consoles can be set to Static ON the console, just make sure it's out side of the routers IP address pool.

So how are you two consoles configured exactly? Is one set for static and one reserved on the router and one set in the DMZ on the router?

What are you seeing OPEN NAT on both and in game, say if you load same game on both consoles? I'm seeing OPEN NAT on both consoles with QoS enabled using reserved IPs however Moderate NAT on 2nd console in game BO3. I'll test the DMZ with the 2nd console this evening.

Static IPs on devices should be outside of the routers default IP address pool and not also set to reserve ON the router at the same time. Probably why you see Strict NAT. Consoles can be set to Static ON the console, just make sure it's out side of the routers IP address pool.

So how are you two consoles configured exactly? Is one set for static and one reserved on the router and one set in the DMZ on the router?

What are you seeing OPEN NAT on both and in game, say if you load same game on both consoles? I'm seeing OPEN NAT on both consoles with QoS enabled using reserved IPs however Moderate NAT on 2nd console in game BO3. I'll test the DMZ with the 2nd console this evening.

I haven't had issues in past setting manual IP and same as Reserved in router. I've done this on all routers I have owwned in case 1 goes down or has issues. The open NAT is on my .110 XboxOne S. It shows under Netowrk. The 2nd Xbox shows Moderate. The .110 is also the DMZ IP.

Just saying, best addressing practice is one or the other, not both.

Ok, so your seeing same thing. I'll give this a try however probably not going to change things.

Please review this for OPEN NAT issues:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/upnp-multiple-xbox-one-gaming-consoles-nat.35324/

The main issue with two or more game consoles and also same game on each is due to kind of NAT these routers use. Symmetric NAT seems to be playing a bad roll in this where FULL CONE NAT works better. Of course this isn't an issue for single game consoles. Only when two or more. I can get OPEN NAT across two and three game consoles in dashboard and in game, BO3 all running at the same time on a FULL CONE NAT router.

I believe that this router and the AC version is Symmetric only. However I guess the Merlin or 3rd party FW may not be supported on the GT router. Theres news that MS maybe pushing a new feature to allow multiple game consoles to pick a different port. Will see how this does. I'm also curious if this will help get OPEN NAT in game while same games are running. We'll see.

Just saying, best addressing practice is one or the other, not both.

Ok, so your seeing same thing. I'll give this a try however probably not going to change things.

Please review this for OPEN NAT issues:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/upnp-multiple-xbox-one-gaming-consoles-nat.35324/

The main issue with two or more game consoles and also same game on each is due to kind of NAT these routers use. Symmetric NAT seems to be playing a bad roll in this where FULL CONE NAT works better. Of course this isn't an issue for single game consoles. Only when two or more. I can get OPEN NAT across two and three game consoles in dashboard and in game, BO3 all running at the same time on a FULL CONE NAT router.

I believe that this router and the AC version is Symmetric only. However I guess the Merlin or 3rd party FW may not be supported on the GT router. Theres news that MS maybe pushing a new feature to allow multiple game consoles to pick a different port. Will see how this does. I'm also curious if this will help get OPEN NAT in game while same games are running. We'll see.

I just know on the Netgear Nighthawk x10 and Asus RT-AC5300 it sllowed me to change Nat type in GUI from Strict which was default to Open. This allowed all COnsoles to become Open NAT. The GT-AC5300 Firmware lacks this option. I asked support about it and they said in a future firmware release it will be added with no ETA.

Was that across the board on both consoles dash board and in game?

Ya, I'm only demo'g the GT. I wish I could keep it however maybe later on at some point I might try and pick one up. I may look into Getting a lower end model that supports Merlin.

For what these routers are and cost, you'd think they would be fully supporting of OPEN NAT across two or more consoles with same game running with out hassles of trying different configs.

I just know on the Netgear Nighthawk x10 and Asus RT-AC5300 it sllowed me to change Nat type in GUI from Strict which was default to Open. This allowed all COnsoles to become Open NAT. The GT-AC5300 Firmware lacks this option. I asked support about it and they said in a future firmware release it will be added with no ETA.

Was the across the board on both consoles dash board and in game?

Ya, I'm only demo'g the GT. I wish I could keep it however maybe later on at some point I might try and pick one up. I may look into Getting a lower end model that supports Merlin.

For what these routers are and cost, you'd think they would be fully supporting of OPEN NAT across two or more consoles with same game running with out hassles of trying different configs.

Under the Xbox Network Status it was Open Nat on both. My and my roommate played BlackOps III: Zombies online with no issues at all. COuld hear and talk to everyone as well. I really did like the Nighthawk x10 but the lack of Xbox Live connectivity on power up got to me as well as the slow loading of speedtest websites. Also the fact the router would lose WiFi and LAN at random. Plus on the x10 the Xbox Detailed Network stats always showed around 100 mbps down with 25 up. On the GT-AC5300 it shows 350 mbps down and 25 mbps up.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!