What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't see how OPEN NAT would be possible since the GT-AC5300 has both firewall and implementation of WTFAST which is a VPN route to best servers option. Currently this is only supported on the PC games but is supposed to eventually include the consoles.

BTW, Playstation still needs to also fix their systems on there settings for the PS4 online account. You can have multiple PS3 on your account, however only one PS4 can be on your account as Active and Master. This also makes it hard to join some games from two consoles unless you want to pay 2x more than you should have too.

It's not the Firewall and VPN that causes this on the GT, it's the kind of NAT it uses.

I don't see how OPEN NAT would be possible since the GT-AC5300 has both firewall and implementation of WTFAST which is a VPN route to best servers option. Currently this is only supported on the PC games but is supposed to eventually include the consoles.

BTW, Playstation still needs to also fix their systems on there settings for the PS4 online account. You can have multiple PS3 on your account, however only one PS4 can be on your account as Active and Master. This also makes it hard to join some games from two consoles unless you want to pay 2x more than you should have too.

All this NAT talk and info is giving me a headache. [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hoping that those that be will get this all resolved...will see how it goes. Wanted to get this going a while back as it's been an issue for a while. MS seems to be finally looking closer...will see if there reported new feature helps...

I had contacted Linksys techs with the issue of the WRT1900AC V1 always having strict NAT. When I started talking to them about NAT being Opened and Strict. They were like what is NAT? I was like these guys are techs and don't know what NAT in gaming is. Hopefully some one will find out how to make Open NAT standard with security fixes.

The only person I know thats got some knowledge in that forum is Chadster. LOL And that says alot.

Ya, Hoping that everyone involved with put this to rest. More and more house holds have more than one game console now days. Some if not most playing the same game at the same time. The typical thinking of single game housesholds needs to move away from that and become more broaden.

I had contacted Linksys techs with the issue of the WRT1900AC V1 always having strict NAT. When I started talking to them about NAT being Opened and Strict. They were like what is NAT? I was like these guys are techs and don't know what NAT in gaming is. Hopefully some one will find out how to make Open NAT standard with security fixes.

I play Destiny and Gears of War 4 with my daughters and we both always have Open NAT. I'm not sure why having more consoles on in the same household has to do with NAT. If one has Open NAT they all should have Open NAT.

Yes, I presume if that what MS and game dev's intended, and of course this is what we have been experiencing on those routers that seem to give this support to more than just one console, then I presume all consoles should be OPEN NAT, even with same game running. This is what I've been testing and put in that badmodems post with all the various routers i've tested and also find differences in NAT kinds on each model tested..seems to play a role in all of this. I presume gaming standards are what needs to be really looked at and those that be, need to figure this out....

Well I broke down and bought the Synology RT2600AC. I can’t deal with the constant disconnects anymore and no firmware updates to help this router. I have factory reset many times and tried the beta firmwares from China. No dice. I have owned 5 Asus routers including this one and this will probably be the last. Here is to hoping the Synology doesn’t lose connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synology is fairly new into making routers. The RT2600AC has the same exact specs as the R7800. So I expect it to run good.

These disconnects, are you referring to the GT5300?
Disconnects from wireless? ISP? LAN wired?
Would need more information. The GT i have is working well, however I don't have the wireless radios enabled. Been using different AP for that. Beta fixed the adaptive QoS issue in last official release.

Well I broke down and bought the Synology RT2600AC. I can’t deal with the constant disconnects anymore and no firmware updates to help this router. I have factory reset many times and tried the beta firmwares from China. No dice. I have owned 5 Asus routers including this one and this will probably be the last. Here is to hoping the Synology doesn’t lose connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synology is fairly new into making routers. The RT2600AC has the same exact specs as the R7800. So I expect it to run good.

What worries me about the Synology, beside their lack of expertise in that area, is they seem to overburden the hardware. Their first product apparently became quite sluggish after a couple of firmware releases. Suricata might be lighter than Snort, it's still much heavier on resources than, for instance, TrendMicro TDM module used by Asus and TP-Link.

Anyone know a way to save the guess networks between reboots because they are auto disabling (not self enabling on reboot) I share my internet with my neighbors so that between 4 households we only pay $20 each for a 300Mbs x 25Mbps connection. I have it set to auto disable after 28 days to ensure payment and if I'm not home it is a big pain to get someone to go my place to restart it and teamviewer in to reenable.

Also what is the latest beta and can someone link it please.

YAY!!! forced the lvl 1 and lvl 2 techs at asus to send me to lvl3 dev team. I will direct them to this page and maybe even get a North America beta release will keep everyone updated.

Last edited:
What FW version are you using?

What happens if you don't set a disable date?

Anyone know a way to save the guess networks between reboots because they are auto disabling (not self enabling on reboot) I share my internet with my neighbors so that between 4 households we only pay $20 each for a 300Mbs x 25Mbps connection. I have it set to auto disable after 28 days to ensure payment and if I'm not home it is a big pain to get someone to go my place to restart it and teamviewer in to reenable.

Also what is the latest beta and can someone link it please.

YAY!!! forced the lvl 1 and lvl 2 techs at asus to send me to lvl3 dev team. I will direct them to this page and maybe even get a North America beta release will keep everyone updated.

Only thing you might try is the beta listed in this thread. Until they contact you back. Probably not much else you can do.

I have been dealing directly with Asus for the last 3 weeks regarding the issues with this router. There was supposed to be a new firmware released at the beginning of this week but apparently it failed the 72hr stress test. From what I have gathered they are still having issues with the QOS and the Trendmicro component in the router. They hope to have it sorted and a new firmware out early next week. I thought I would post this here after seeing all the people here having similar issues to mine and also post a link for a beta firmware that was given to me. This was compiled around the the beginning of this month and although it does not fix all the issues it has brought a semblance of stability to the router.
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/1A84B89D026B43BC87DD3ADC6C71A250Y
Hopefully I won't get into trouble for this but I think but I think with the lack of public response from Asus, it is the right thing to do.
Firmware is GT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_382_15475-gd6be0de_cferom_ubi.w and was supplied by Asus Product Manager.

Regards
Mark

The Beta firmware that MarkSW has posted is the same one I have been running now for 9+ days.

On the Guest Network settings, there is an option for days to be enabled and also a radio button for unlimited. (unlimited days)

Alexa link does not appear to be working yet. I do not have one but another user has said it does not link up correctly yet.

Yes, same beta you referred me to. This is the one that fixed the Adaptive QoS issue I was seeing.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!