What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Next time check NAT status for both in game under BO3 for match making. I presume one will be Moderate. I will definitely give DMZ a try tonite though..

Ya I demo'd the X10 as well. Nice an all however for it's price, just didn't seem to hold up to what it was. I didn't get a chance to test two consoles as I didn't have access during that time frame. So I found a review here in SNB that reviewed the R7800, I bought it. WOW, it's a keeper for sure. Handles OPEN NAT across the board and in game while same game running for BO3 on two consoles.

I connected my other 5300AC wireless to it and turned off the wireless on the R7800, just use it as a router. Very nicely handled and Voxel does 3rd party FW for it using NGs UI so even though the UI hasn't changed, the behind the scenes code is made better. One and only router that I've tested that seems to have Full Cone NAT and works well with two game console with just using Reserved IPs, QoS and uPnP.

It shows NAT Type Open in BO3 on .110 and on the other XboxOne S Moderate.

Ok, what I thought. Same here. I'll try your DMZ method though anyways.

The problem with the GT router is the Symmetric NAT and not FULL CONE NAT. :oops: Imagine if it did. WOW. I'd highly consider keeping it... ;)

It shows NAT Type Open in BO3 on .110 and on the other XboxOne S Moderate.

Ok, what I thought. Same here. I'll try your DMZ method though anyways.

The problem with the GT router is the Symmetric NAT and not FULL CONE NAT. :oops: Imagine if it did. WOW. I'd highly consider keeping it... ;)

I think the real problem is by default NAT is Strict on the *-AC5300 routers. Since this router doesn't support NAT by firmware like the RT-AC5300 does we can't change it to Open. If we could set it to Open from the firmware we would have no issues running 2+ Game Consoles.

NAT has to do on how your router talks to your modem. So the modem could be the issue and not necessarily the router.

The problem is this Symmetric NAT type thats in the FW code where in some older routers and at least the NG R7800 where FULL CONE NAT type is in the FW... This symmetric Nat code is the near or the root cause of the gaming NAT issues on multiple game consoles and in games...

I know this as I have some older routers and this R7800 that I've tested and given the results and information I got from one router Mfr, this Symmetric NAT is part of the problem. Routers with FULL CONE NAT don't have a problem with two or more consoles.

Of course, if the modem and a built in router as well and one connects it to a external router, then we have a double nat condition. This can be resolved though. However with two different types of NAT in the FW, this Symmetric NAT type is causing some problems...even in 3rd party FW.

NAT has to do on how your router talks to your modem. So the modem could be the issue and not necessarily the router.

With two or more consoles playing same game at the same time? Or single. Single consoles normally don't have a problem with OPEN NAT across the board.

I never could get my Linksys WRT1900AC to OPEN NAT on 2nd console IN game BO3. I can't currently with this Asus GT router either. Also newer generation D-Link routers are a problem as well. However my older DIR655 and DGL-4500 work with two or more fine. My R7800 works too. These routers have FULL CONE NAT support from what I'm told.

Its this symmetric NAT type code being used in these routers is causing problems. I'm hoping that MS will help with this new feature they are talking about on there consoles. We'll see.

For some reason the only router brand that gives me headaches with closed NAT is Linksys. Asus and Netegar always gives me Open NAT.

With two or more consoles playing same game at the same time? Or single. Single consoles normally don't have a problem with OPEN NAT across the board.

I never could get my Linksys WRT1900AC to OPEN NAT on 2nd console IN game BO3. I can't currently with this Asus GT router either. Also newer generation D-Link routers are a problem as well. However my older DIR655 and DGL-4500 work with two or more fine. My R7800 works too. These routers have FULL CONE NAT support from what I'm told.

Its this symmetric NAT type code being used in these routers is causing problems. I'm hoping that MS will help with this new feature they are talking about on there consoles. We'll see.

Usually single console at a time. But I do play with my daughters simultaneously and we both have Open NAT.

Ok kewl, Yes single consoles should have any issues getting OPEN NAT in dashboard and in game. It's were we see problems with two or more on routers with Symmetric NAT only support. Thank god for the R7800 and other older generation routers with FULL CONE NAT support.

Do you know the chip set being used in the GT?

I know RMerlin stated he was not going to support code per all the changes this router brings to ASUS. Was posted here.. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rog-rapture-gt-ac5300.38092/
At least no plans for it currently.

As for the chips,
comparison here. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...reless-ac5300-tri-band-gaming-router-reviewed

Once again Tim did a fantastic review which is one of the reasons this site keeps the user base it has. Fingers crossed now that ASUS will right their premier product line before getting carried away with launching the rumored GT-AC9600.

Thank you sir. ;)

I forgot to mention all my internal LAN cables are Cat 7. I switched them from Cat 6 about a month ago. I have noticed a slight improvement as well switching to Cat 7.

well I gave the new beta firmware a go. Overall router seems more snappy, but that is just the config GUI. LAN ->USB or LAN ->LAN transfers are exactly the same. The major issue I have now is that the update broke AI Cloud and I can not connect to my files while im on the go or at work. Which was the whole point of plugging a USB 3.0 drive in the back of this router anyway.

OPEN VPN seems laggy as hell now. Before it was not.

I still can not figure out why in one random weekend the old firmware was running fast as hell all weekend. Now no matter what I do I can not duplicate this again. How long does Asus expect us to wait before going to a new router. In that regard, any recommendations ?

Go back to the prior working version...

well I gave the new beta firmware a go. Overall router seems more snappy, but that is just the config GUI. LAN ->USB or LAN ->LAN transfers are exactly the same. The major issue I have now is that the update broke AI Cloud and I can not connect to my files while im on the go or at work. Which was the whole point of plugging a USB 3.0 drive in the back of this router anyway.

OPEN VPN seems laggy as hell now. Before it was not.

I still can not figure out why in one random weekend the old firmware was running fast as hell all weekend. Now no matter what I do I can not duplicate this again. How long does Asus expect us to wait before going to a new router. In that regard, any recommendations ?

tech960,
Most likely you ran into one of the many bugs in the code. In the log of the router, even on the production release, I was seeing errors. Things like it calling for program or datafile not found over and over. Great way to crash a OS based device is to send the CPU broken code links over and over with no handler to correct.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!