What's new

Rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

happy owners of AC68U, can you please check something for me?
I want to know what are the default CPU/memory clocks

And does anyone know what kind of memory AC68U is using?

the reason I am asking is that on AC56 (identical CPU), ASUS downclocked the memory from 800MHz to 533MHz (why would you cripple the performance??? there is no power or heat issues for memory to run at the rated speed!).

From personal experience I can confirm that going from 533 to 800 makes very noticeable difference...may be this is the reason that R7000 scores significantly faster on things like USB transfers...

command to run is nvram get clkfreq

Stock AC56U spits out 800,533
Stock R7000: 1000,800
Stock AC68U: ???

Stock AC68U: 800,533

Stock AC68U: 800,533

Thanks - and I am disappointed in ASUS to tell the truth... they better have a very good reason to choose lower clocks for memory.

For owners of AC68: if you are are not interested in overclocking your router (mainly CPU), you still can squeeze more performance out it by setting memory to run at 800MHz (real speed 1600):

$ nvram set clkfreq=800,800
$ nvram commit && reboot

These commands will keep the CPU (and thermals) at stock level, while forcing memory from 533 to 800 - in theory, should not impact thermals as no additional voltage is needed (or possible)

(P.S. You should be able to achieve 1200Mhz on CPU with active cooling - i.e. 1200/800)

WARNING: attempts to set clocks outside of manufacturer setting may result in bricking of your router. See AC56U overclocking thread - we already have one case...

Last edited:
Yes. On an RT-AC56U, WAN to LAN maxes out at around 240 Mbits without CTF. I expect the same results on the RT-AC68U since it's the same CPU.

Thanks! That makes any decision to upgrade easier. The Netgear looks pretty solid, but I would miss your firmware too much. I will wait until Asus irons out the performance issues Tim has found with the RT-AC68U.

Damn it. Why would they include a cool surprise, get me used to it then stop.

The RT-N66U went through a lot of changes before the final version got shipped. I remember the original name was different (RT-N76 I think? It's been so long) with even higher specs. Then it morphed into the RT-N66U with cooling fans and sd slot. And revision B1 (which was the final release) replaced the fans with a very large heatsink, and somehow got to keep its card reader.

Hmm I don't see this listed on the site anywhere. The latest I see is 205. I picked one up from best buy today and I'd like to get the latest firmware. Nevermind I found it--only listed under win 8 32 bit...weird.
Well that's great. I downloaded and installed 374.217 yesterday and am running Win7 64-bit. Do I need to downgrade to 374.205?

new firmware is out!

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.217
Added:
- 2.4GHz beamforming UI option.
- Roaming assistant: allow to set the minimum RSSI to disconnect clients and let clients reconnect to Ap with better signal.
- Enhanced the USB and NAT throughput.

Fixed:
- Fixed quick internet setup UI issues when setup the router by wireless client.
- Fixed WPS push button related issues.
- Fixed IPv6 related issues.

Has anyone managed to download this? Mine arrived with "3.0.0.4.374_158-g36ce605" which seems to be a prerelease or something. I can't find 217 on the website anywhere however.

Edit: By that I mean it's on the site but clicking it fails to find the file.

They either pulled it, or it hasn't been fully propagated to all mirrors yet. Just give them some time.

Well that's great. I downloaded and installed 374.217 yesterday and am running Win7 64-bit. Do I need to downgrade to 374.205?

The OS version is irrelevant. The firmware is OS-agnostic.

Personally I always look them up through "Others".

=( im so lost at the moment so which router to buy. I recently returned my all in ubee modem back to timewarner and moved to a sb6141, but my old wrt54g can't handle the 50/5 speeds. Originally was set on buying an AC68 to just move up to newer tech, but i'm not sure if i should buy one or just go grab a n66u now. Also need it soon since my linksys can't handle it xD.

I am going to try the Linksys EA6900 aand compare it against a AC68U which I hopefully will get in the end of the month. My test rigg will get really full by then.

=( im so lost at the moment so which router to buy. I recently returned my all iand see how it stands up against a AC68U which I will get in the end of the month,n ubee modem back to timewarner and moved to a sb6141, but my old wrt54g can't handle the 50/5 speeds. Originally was set on buying an AC68 to just move up to newer tech, but i'm not sure if i should buy one or just go grab a n66u now. Also need it soon since my linksys can't handle it xD.

=( im so lost at the moment so which router to buy. I recently returned my all in ubee modem back to timewarner and moved to a sb6141, but my old wrt54g can't handle the 50/5 speeds. Originally was set on buying an AC68 to just move up to newer tech, but i'm not sure if i should buy one or just go grab a n66u now. Also need it soon since my linksys can't handle it xD.

There's a flood of second generation 820.11ac coming out these days. My advice is to wait a few weeks and see how things look like once the dust settle. By then you might also determine that you don't need 802.11ac support, or it won't fit your budget.

An RT-N66U would be more than enough to support your 50/5 connection if wireless isn't a priority. An RT-N16 would be too, but I'd recommend going with dual band if you can afford it.

They either pulled it, or it hasn't been fully propagated to all mirrors yet. Just give them some time.

I managed to nab it off a mirror and it fixed the weird issue I was seeing where my 5gz ssid was failing to connect after a while.

There's a flood of second generation 820.11ac coming out these days. My advice is to wait a few weeks and see how things look like once the dust settle. By then you might also determine that you don't need 802.11ac support, or it won't fit your budget.

An RT-N66U would be more than enough to support your 50/5 connection if wireless isn't a priority. An RT-N16 would be too, but I'd recommend going with dual band if you can afford it.

Having just upgraded from an RT-N16 to an RT-AC68u, I am getting dramatically better performance with the 68u. I am getting same as wired download speeds on my 50/10 connection, vs. 15/5 when on the N16. Very pleased with the 68u, and Im sure it will only get better as it matures.

I managed to nab it off a mirror and it fixed the weird issue I was seeing where my 5gz ssid was failing to connect after a while.

It looks like they are pulling it rather than propagating it as it is now missing from OS options it used to be in (at least here). The change log for 3.0.0.4.374.217 looks very good I just wish I could get it somewhere.

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.217
Added:
- 2.4GHz beamforming UI option.
- Roaming assistant: allow to set the minimum RSSI to disconnect clients and let clients reconnect to Ap with better signal.
- Enhanced the USB and NAT throughput.

Fixed:
- Fixed quick internet setup UI issues when setup the router by wireless client.
- Fixed WPS push button related issues.
- Fixed IPv6 related issues.

If anyone found a working link I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

P.S. The little information I have been able to find suggests Asus is pulling the firmware due to bugs, I hope for an update soon but 217 might not be it.

I know that they do have an update coming soon (no date or ETA) that should address some of the most commonly mentionned issues so far.

Hi All, if you don't mind I would like to get into this discussion to find out if the RT-AC68U is worth the upgrade from the RT-N66U.

I have the AC68U now and I am using it, upgrade from the N66U. I do notice an increased Wifi coverage by checking the signal with a mobile app versus the N66U. I have the router in the basement and just wanted better coverage if say I connect a device in on the first floor, in the yard or just close by the house. I guess I'm just trying to justify if I did the right thing in buying this upgrade... :)

Or should I return it and go for the Netgear R7000 based on another members review?

Oh and by the way the xxxxx.217 version for the AC68U breaks IPv6 connectivity as for what I have seen as I have down graded to xxxx.205 version and all is well again.

Last edited:
Hi All, if you don't mind I would like to get into this discussion to find out if the RT-AC68U is worth the upgrade from the RT-N66U.

I have the AC68U now and I am using it, upgrade from the N66U. I do notice an increased Wifi coverage by checking the signal with a mobile app versus the N66U. I have the router in the basement and just wanted better coverage if say I connect a device in on the first floor, in the yard or just close by the house. I guess I'm just trying to justify if I did the right thing in buying this upgrade... :)

Or should I return it and go for the Netgear R7000 based on another members review?

Oh and by the way the xxxxx.217 version for the AC68U breaks IPv6 connectivity as for what I have seen as I have down graded to xxxx.205 version and all is well again.

A mobile device probably isn't going to be able to flex the multi stream muscle of any AP and really can't show you how strong it's going to be for other devices for better wifi.

Probably one place to start for a better signal would be to get the router out of the basement on to the first floor. Ideally an elevated spot.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!