What's new

TAILMON TAILMON v1.0.19 -June 19, 2024- WireGuard-based Tailscale Installer, Configurator and Monitor (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here comes a beta your way that incorporates a bunch of these suggestions! Give me your thoughts, please! :)

TAILMON v1.0.17 BETA1
What's new?
- PATCH:
Thanks to @Wheemer1, he noticed that when hitting (R)estart, that it would overwrite the custom mode changes that were originally saved with the default custom mode settings. A new function takes care of making sure (R)estarts will now apply any custom mode changes when the service/connection restarts.
- PATCH: Also, thanks to @Wheemer1 and @JGrana for the suggestion to formally add the '--accept-routes' aka "site-to-site" command line argument into TAILMON. A new menu item (6) under then setup/configuration menu has been added that asks whether or not you want to enable this option. Special care needed to be taken when this option gets disabled, as a 'tailscale up --reset' command needs to be issued before it can be completely disabled without having to endure tailscale warnings.
- PATCH: Thanks to @rung, added another email notification coming from TAILMON when the router was rebooted or manually reset, to indicate that TAILMON has restarted after an unexpected router reboot. TAILMON looks at router uptime, and if it's set to automatically start within the first 10 minutes of the router coming back up, it will send you an email.

BETA v1.0.17 Download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/TAILMON/develop/tailmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh"

STABLE v1.0.14 Download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/TAILMON/master/tailmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

New item (6) added that will append the "--accept-routes" flag to your "tailscale up" commandline.
1718118309020.png

More detail on item (6) (much of which taken directly from tailscale website):
1718118365242.png

Now showing that "--accept-routes" gets appended by default when the menu item is enabled.
1718118566762.png

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for the update. Love this and all your efforts.

I have three remote networks I wish to unite.

10.0.0.x works
192.168.0.x works

however

192.168.2.x does not work.

Is there anything I can do to make this work?

Hello, thanks for the update. Love this and all your efforts.

I have three remote networks I wish to unite.

10.0.0.x works
192.168.0.x works

however

192.168.2.x does not work.

Is there anything I can do to make this work?
Can you please provide some more hints, extracts or screenshots of what exactly it is that isn't working for you? What works? What doesn't? What have you tried?

I'm not sure what I could screen shot. I have the subnet routes enabled in tailscale admin. I can reach all of subnet for 10.0.0.x and 192.168.0.x via any method. However the 192.168.0.x is not reachable for some reason. I will send you any info you need but just ensure what would help.

I'm not sure what I could screen shot. I have the subnet routes enabled in tailscale admin. I can reach all of subnet for 10.0.0.x and 192.168.0.x via any method. However the 192.168.0.x is not reachable for some reason. I will send you any info you need but just ensure what would help.
Just some more background info would be helpful... like, what devices are running 10.0.0.x, 192.168.0.x and 192.168.2x? How is each one configured? Userspace? Kernel? Custom? What tailscale version? What options and commandline options are being used for each?

10.0.0.x, 192.168.0.x and 192.168.2.x are all debian 12 Linux 6.9.3-1-liquorix-amd64 version 1.66.4

The asus is also running 1.66.4

All instances run with appropriate route publish and accept routes

10.0.0.x, 192.168.0.x and 192.168.2.x are all debian 12 Linux 6.9.3-1-liquorix-amd64 version 1.66.4

The asus is also running 1.66.4

All instances run with appropriate route publish and accept routes
From the 192.168.2.x network, can you reach the 192.168.0.x and 10.0.0.x networks?

Again it was some sort of configuration issue, blasting out the settings and reinstating them, including perhaps a missed step, seems to have fixed it all.

Everything works from everywhere now.

Thanks again!

Again it was some sort of configuration issue, blasting out the settings and reinstating them, including perhaps a missed step, seems to have fixed it all.

Everything works from everywhere now.

Thanks again!
Awesome! It's nice when everything works, right? :)

New item (6) added that will append the "--accept-routes" flag to your "tailscale up" commandline.

It would be interesting to run a poll asking how many people run Tailmon in a site-2-site configuration.
Awesome update as usual Viktor! Thank you once again, I echo @Wheemer1’s comment, it’s really slick (you are the Fonz …) :)

Whilst the new option 6 menu item states exactly what it does, I’ve seen the expression site-to-site used more commonly (and generically) for this type of config and was wondering whether the menu item should state that instead or in addition to e.g.

Code:
6.  Accept Linux Routes on this Router (site-to-site)?

… and the explanation is used to state what it does i.e. accept Linux Routes on this Router?

k.

Last edited:
Awesome update as usual Viktor! Thank you once again, I each @Wheemer1’s comment, it’s really slick (you are the Fonz …) :)

Whilst the new option 6 menu item states exactly what it does, I’ve seen the expression site-to-site used more commonly (and genetically) for this type of config and was wondering whether the menu item should state that instead or in addition to e.g.

Code:
6.  Accept Linux Routes on this Router (site-to-site)?

… and the explanation is used to state what it does i.e. accept Linux Routes on this Router?

k.
Perhaps like "Enable site-to-site capabilities on this router?"

Perhaps like "Enable site-to-site capabilities on this router?"
Sounds good to me; the explanation delves into what it does in more detail, so it’s covered nicely 👍

Sounds good to me; the explanation delves into what it does in more detail, so it’s covered nicely 👍
Didn't have the space, so I went with:

Enable Site-2-Site functionality on router

;)

Special care needed to be taken when this option gets disabled, as a 'tailscale up --reset' command needs to be issued before it can be completely disabled without having to endure tailscale warnings.
Quick Q; at this point, would all other switches (assuming custom settings used) that were set by the user also be reset?

So it would add only the —accept-routes switch to the standard config right? And all custom settings previously saved would be lost ?

So a custom user wanting additional settings would need to add —accept-routes manually?

Didn't have the space, so I went with:

Enable Site-2-Site functionality on router

;)
No worries. Not a huge fan of the “-2-“ usage from a grammatical standpoint (B2B etc), but that’s just a personal preference; -)

No worries. Not a huge fan of the “-2-“ usage from a grammatical standpoint (B2B etc), but that’s just a personal preference; -)

Got it!

1718147055948.png

Quick Q; at this point, would all other switches (assuming custom settings used) that were set by the user also be reset?
Great question... Here's my take:

When you're in custom mode, then from the setup/configuration menu, you can hit the (I)ssue Connection Reset... which should reset, but then also restore everthing... and will go through these steps:

tailscale down
tailscale up --reset
tailscale down
tailscale up <including all your own custom commands>

So it would add only the —accept-routes switch to the standard config right? And all custom settings previously saved would be lost ?
When you're in custom config... Tailmon no longer cares what you have selected in the configuration menu... It will solely be counting on the fact that you have correctly added the right command line switches to the "custom operating mode settings" screen, where the user has full control over everything. If you're in userspace/kernel mode, then the settings in the configuration menu let you apply or take away the "--accept-routes" functionality.

So a custom user wanting additional settings would need to add —accept-routes manually?
If you're in custom mode, then it initially sets you up for a normal "Kernel Operating Mode" configuration. From there, it allows you to change it up however you please... so yeah, you would need to add the "--accept-routes" manually.

Looks like some of the initial install items were able to get bypassed by running the -setup switch right out of the gate... this has been patched. Thanks @XIII !

What's new?
v1.0.2 - (April 30, 2024)
- PATCH:
Thanks to @XIII, for finding an inconsistency that we hadn't stumbled across yet. After an install, when running tailmon.sh -setup immediately after resulted in errors showing that it was not able to write the .log and .cfg files into their /jffs/addons/tailmon.d folder, because that folder gets created upon running tailmon.sh by itself. Emergency fix has been patched! Thanks!

Download link (or update directly within TAILMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/TAILMON/master/tailmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh"
Reboot notification works great:
Code:
WARNING: TAILMON has detected that the router may have rebooted or was restarted. TAILMON.
has reset the service, and reestablished a connection to your Tailnet. Please investigate if this
behavior continues to persist.

Btw, does anyone know how to (re?)enable the ability to access the router ui using router ip address? It now doesn't work for me unless I enter the router tailscale address instead of the 192.168.x.1 address. Very strange. No other vpn acts this way.

Thanks,
Rung

Btw, does anyone know how to (re?)enable the ability to access the router ui using router ip address? It now doesn't work for me unless I enter the router tailscale address instead of the 192.168.x.1 address. Very strange. No other vpn acts this way.
Cannot really answer your question with a solution sorry, but I will say that is not the way mine behaves i.e. I can always access the Router via its 192.168.x.1 address after installing Tailscale via TAILMON.

Could you provide your settings line if you use custom settings?

Last edited: