What's new

TAILMON TAILMON v1.0.19 -June 19, 2024- WireGuard-based Tailscale Installer, Configurator and Monitor (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there a way I can retry this upgrade?

(How) Can I downgrade to 1.66.4 to test this?
You may be able to use this command... (untested)

Code:
 Tailscale update --version="1.66.4"

You may be able to use this command... (untested)

Code:
 Tailscale update --version="1.66.4"
I tried this once on the Router but it didn’t work; it worked on my RPi4 though.

[EDIT] The next easiest way is to copy older binaries to /op/bin/ per my post below.

If the above doesn’t work I think the next option is to just copy any custom command lines and screenshot configs, uninstall TAILMON then reinstall it. The base Entware Tailscale version is v1.58.2.-1; and then just update from there.

Last edited:
I tried this once on the Router but it didn’t work; it worked on my RPi4 though.

If the above doesn’t work I think the next easiest way is to just copy any custom command lines and screenshot configs, uninstall TAILMON then reinstall it. The base Entware Tailscale version is v1.58.2.-1; and then just update from there.
Did not work for me either:
Code:
➜ tailscale update --version="1.66.4"
installed stable version 1.68.0 is newer than the latest available version 1.66.4; no update needed

I don’t want to risk my setup now; I’ll have a look at the next Tailscale update.

Code:
installed stable version 1.68.0 is newer than the latest available version 1.66.4; no update needed

I don’t want to risk my setup now; I’ll have a look at the next Tailscale update.
Assuming you used the (P) method under the setup/config menu? When it failed to start?

Running 1.0.17b1? The beta includes a key press event after the update to pause for any errors or abnormalities.

Code:

Just remembered this post where the downgrade didn’t work.

But I remember what I did now.

IIRC I got the Tailscale binaries from pkgs.tailscale.com/stable/, then selected the older version using the dropdown. You need to navigate to static binaries (other distros) and select arm64. I have linked the 1.66.4 directly in any case.

Extract the two Tailscale files and use WinSCP to copy the two files into /opt/bin/. You can just overwrite the existing ones.

Per my older post you will need to stop Tailscale (via TAILMON) to be able to copy the files across (and please turn off Keep Alive and Restart ). After copying the files, restart Tailmon and you should have the older version installed. Make sure it is running with your system (as before) and then upgrade.

It’s literally a 3 minute downgrade, just turn off one setting (Keep Alive).

k.

Last edited:
Running 1.0.17b1? The beta includes a key press event after the update to pause for any errors or abnormalities.
No, 1.0.14, but if the below instructions indeed work (and I think they will), I can test both.

Just remembered this post where the downgrade didn’t work.

But I remember what I did now.

IIRC I got the Tailscale binaries from pkgs.tailscale.com/stable/, then selected the older version using the dropdown. You need to navigate to static binaries (other distros) and select arm64. I have linked the 1.66.4 directly in any case.

Extract the two Tailscale files and use WinSCP to copy the two files into /opt/bin/. You can just overwrite the existing ones.

Per my older post you will need to stop Tailscale (via TAILMON) to be able to copy the files across (and please turn off Keep Alive and Restart ). After copying the files, restart Tailmon and you should have the older version installed. Make sure it is running with your system (as before) and then upgrade.

It’s literally a 3 minute downgrade, just turn off one setting (Keep Alive).

k.
Excellent! I hope to give this a try later today or this weekend.

I have updated v1.0.17b1 with some of the suggested wording changes... no other functional differences. Enjoy!

What's new?
- PATCH: Updated some of the "site-to-site" wording changes on item #6 in the configuration/setup menu, and associated menu item description per @jksmurf's suggestion. Thanks!

BETA1 v1.0.17 Download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/TAILMON/develop/tailmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh"

STABLE v1.0.14 Download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/TAILMON/master/tailmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

Minor wording changes to make this item easier to understand/digest

1718361023927.png

1718361050324.png

@XIII ... just wanted to let you know I attempted the upgrade from v1.66.4 to v1.68.0 on my test router, and went flawless... Again, I'm on v1.0.17b1...

No issues with the download, install, and service/connection restart:
1718362012832.png

Coming back to the main UI, showing that everything is humming along perfectly without needing any other intervention:
1718362022606.png

@XIII ... just wanted to let you know I attempted the upgrade from v1.66.4 to v1.68.0 on my test router, and went flawless... Again, I'm on v1.0.17b1...
The downgrade instructions from @jksmurf worked (as expected).

This time I did get an error message in TAILMON when upgrading from 1.66.4 to 1.68.0:

Code:
Executing: tailscale up --advertise-exit-node --advertise-routes=192.168.1.0/24

Error: changing settings via 'tailscale up' requires mentioning all
non-default flags. To proceed, either re-run your command with --reset or
use the command below to explicitly mention the current value of
all non-default settings:

tailscale up --advertise-exit-node --advertise-routes=192.168.1.0/24 --accept-dns=false

This time I did get an error message in TAILMON when upgrading from 1.66.4 to 1.68.0:

Code:

tailscale up --advertise-exit-node --advertise-routes=192.168.1.0/24 --accept-dns=false
Looks like some old flag is still holding you down. I think you need to run that (I)ssue --reset command to see if you can't clear that first. Either that, or accept item #6, let it go through the motions of adding it, and then remove item #6.

This is one thing about Tailscale that I'm just not a huge fan of... :(

Last edited:
Great! the instructions can be a placeholder for others.

Code:

I'm not sure what (if any) TAILMON or Tailscale Admin Page or CLI setting caused the change in the default --accept-dns=true but @Viktor Jaep is correct in that the error message is a good indicator of the non-default setting (in this instance I think it must be the --accept-dns status) which Tailscale always seems to flag when restarting. This message seems a common issue.

Meaning you have to do a --reset (now built-in to TAILMON thanks to Viktor) i.e. it won't just accept that you actually want it to be false (even if you didn't specify it again).

Do you recall playing around with any settings which might have departed from the defaults?

Attachments

• DNS.jpg
    DNS.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I explicitly set accept-dns to false to prevent conflicts with NextDNS:

However, I don't see it in my current custom values in TAILMON, so I'm going to add it there.

However, I don't see it in my current custom values in TAILMON, so I'm going to add it there.
Unfortunately that did not help; I got the same error when updating from 1.68.0 to 1.68.1.

Additionally/however, that extra parameter is now gone (again?) from the TAILMON custom parameters...

Unfortunately that did not help; I got the same error when updating from 1.68.0 to 1.68.1.

Additionally/however, that extra parameter is now gone (again?) from the TAILMON custom parameters...
So let me try to duplicate this...

You're in custom mode. You added "--accept-routes=false". You upgraded from 1.68.0 to 1.68.1, and you got the same error, and this custom parameter did not make it over?

That’s odd. I swear @Viktor Jaep recently fixed the custom commands not being saved, maybe there’s a rabbit hole where is gets missed. I’m sure he’ll find it if there’s an issue.
I explicitly set accept-dns to false to prevent conflicts with NextDNS:
Ah yes, I recall now, you are in the situation where you can’t ignore the overwrite (as suggested earlier in this thread) and you have to use the accept-dns=false workaround for your use case.

# Health check:
# - Linux DNS config not ideal. /etc/resolv.conf overwritten. See https://tailscale.com/s/dns-fight

That’s odd. I swear @Viktor Jaep recently fixed the custom commands not being saved, maybe there’s a rabbit hole where is gets missed. I’m sure he’ll find it if there’s an issue.
It's fixed in 1.0.17b1. ;) I believe he's running .14

@ViktorJaep have you done the 1.68.0-1.68.1 update?

I just tried to update 1.68.0 to 1.68.1 and for the first update ever, it hung on the the tailscale up line.
Manually downgraded to 1.68.0; same
Manually downgraded to 1.66.4; same
Rebooted Router. Same.
Just my system, bad SSD or Tailscale might have broken something ?

Code:
# Health check:
#     - not logged in, last login error=fetch control key: Get "https://controlplane.tailscale.com/key?v=97": context canceled

Code:
# Health check:
#     - not in map poll
unexpected state: NoState

[EDIT] It seemed to have fixed itself, not sure how, but tailscale up lines seem to take a long time to "take".

Attachments

• IMG_1345.png
    IMG_1345.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1346.jpeg
    IMG_1346.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1347.png
    IMG_1347.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hey all,

I think I managed to get this all installed and working on a new asus router/Merlin thanks to (jksmurf). Dont understand much on how it all works but diggin through docs are easy enough. So thanks again to everyone.

The reason I have need of this in the first place is due to having a 5g modem providing Internet at my office location. Typical CGNAT. I have about 30 security cameras I need to view, get motion, alarms in real time.

The question I have is how does Tailscale work/handle a vpn connection like this between two locations?
---location 1 is a typical fiber isp.
---location 2 is 5g Tmobile isp, CGNAT situation.

Just need to access both locations as a typical vpn viewing one big network.

Additional question I have as I still havent gotten my head around how Tailscale works...

Do I only need to connect the Routers at both ends in Tailscale in order to see everything behind the routers? Like cameras, servers, etc...??

Or

Does every single device assigned an ip behind each router also needs to be added to Tailscale?

Lastly....
Im not a big fan of having to connect to tailscale on the website, set up an account and have my data go through yet another strangers servers so this all works.... I really want my own private point to point vpn servers over public internet using my own static ips. I need a high level overview on how to go about this...

Im done with the monthly nickel dime subscriptions for ddns, vpn, etc... services that go on forever.... this bothers me way more than security issues as my data is still going through someone I dont know.

again, thanks for the help jksmurf...