What's new

TAILMON TAILMON v1.0.19 -June 19, 2024- WireGuard-based Tailscale Installer, Configurator and Monitor (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Viktor Jaep is the man :cool: !

And there is no “may” as far as I’m concerned, getting past CGNAT by configuring Tailscale with a subnet router got me access to my remote device. Love it!

Have to do some reading but currently running on phone and router says connected to tailnet, but stops at that point.

Attachments

• IMG_9591.jpeg
    IMG_9591.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9590.jpeg
    IMG_9590.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 20
Hi Viktor,

There's been a couple of folks who did not quite get a seamless install but eventually got it started. I have occasion to be at my remote Router for a while, an RT-AX86U-Pro, which was previously serviced by a RPi3 Subnet Router, but this evening I tried to put Tailmon on the Router.

A couple of things cropped up, which differed from my multiple RT-AX86U (non-Pro) Test installs, which is a bit of a concern.

These included:
  • I thought the Express Install checked for and downloaded the correct Entware Package for the architecture automatically on a first install?
  • If yes, then it seemed to have skipped the automatic install entirely.
  • I checked the Entware packages that were downloaded from an independent (and fresh) Entware package (ep) install prior to installing TAILMON.
  • The Tailscale package was not there, so TAILMON can't have throught it was there and so it should have downloaded it? See picture.

• Instead I was presented with the TAILMON Main Setup and Configuration Menu, where it showed that Tailscale Entware Package was not installed. Putting yourself in the shoes of a newbie at this point there is no direction what to do next; maybe because you are not actually supposed to get to this screen until after it all "Express Installs" correctly?

• I did two Trials, removing both TAILMON and the supporting Entware package between the trials, same result, no express install. The only thing I did not do was reboot the Router between trials.

• The sequence (from NO TAILMON entry in amtm) was tm, yes (1), [presented with the TAILMON Main Setup and Configuration Menu], (1) install TS Entware Package, (y) to Install tailscale, press any key to continue, [presented with the TAILMON Main Setup and Configuration Menu again, with STOPPED AND DISCONNECTED], ran (S) Start TS Service [It started], then (u) Connect Service (it connected and gave me a link (this was also normally automatic), I posted the link and got a TS connection, then updated (P) TS from 1.58.2-1 to 1.68.1, threw an error but worked. i.e. currently fully functional but ugly way to get there.

• TRIAL ONE:
  • TRIAL TWO:
  • [EDIT]:
    TRIAL THREE with an UNINSTALL AND REBOOT, NEARLY SAME RESULT, NO EXPRESS INSTALL; 'Nearly the same' as it starts the Service, but does NOT connect. UP does not connect. HOWEVER, if I change the operating mode to Kernel, it goes down, says dead (in red text), but then comes up and offers me the Tailnet LINK, which after I post it into a browser, works again and the connection shows as Connected.

• Also saw error after a --reset (TAILMON C, I)
  • Also had the issue accessing local WAN IP. This issue has been seen by others. In userspace Mode, it seems UNLESS Tailscale is installed and running on this client (i.e. through tailscale?), you cannot access local IPs. Switching to Kernel Mode seems to fix this, I can access local IPs whether the client is connected or not.
What can I do to try to test (happy to remove/uninstall as much as necessary, reboot when the Router is not in use and test procedures in a specific order, provide contents of Dirs or Files via WinSCP etc.

I don't think the 3 Entware repositories ColIn was referring to of aarch64-k3.10, armv7sf-k3.2 and armv7sf-k2.6 would make it different between your AX6000 and my RT-AX86U and my RT-AX86U Pro, so I am stumped why it is not running the express install?

Asus Router Kernels (do not quote this but I believe it is correct) FYI

• RT-AC3100: 2.6.36.4brcmarm armv7l
  • RT-AC5300: 2.6.36.4brcmarm armv7l
  • RT-AC58U: 2.6.36.4brcmarm armv7l
  • RT-AC68U: 2.6.36.4brcmarm armv7l
  • RT-AC88U: 2.6.36.4brcmarm armv7l
  • GT-AC2900: 4.1.27 aarch64 [similar to RT-AC86U]
  • RT-AC86U: 4.1.27 aarch64
  • RT-AX68U: 4.1.52 aarch64
  • RT-AX86U: 4.1.52 aarch64
  • RT-AX88U: 4.1.52 aarch64
  • RT-AX86U_Pro: 4.19.183 aarch64
  • GT-AX6000: 4.19.183 aarch64
  • GT-AXE16000: 4.19.183 aarch64

Attachments

• Pre_Install_and_Update.jpg
    Pre_Install_and_Update.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Post_Install_and_Update.jpg
    Post_Install_and_Update.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 9
  • U1.jpg
    U1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi Viktor,

There's been a couple of folks who did not quite get a seamless install but eventually got it started. I have occasion to be at my remote Router for a while, an RT-AX86U-Pro, which was previously serviced by a RPi3 Subnet Router, but this evening I tried to put Tailmon on the Router.

A couple of things cropped up, which differed from my multiple RT-AX86U (non-Pro) Test installs, which is a bit of a concern.

These included:
  • I thought the Express Install checked for and downloaded the correct Entware Package for the architecture automatically on a first install?
  • If yes, then it seemed to have skipped the automatic install entirely.
  • I checked the Entware packages that were downloaded from an independent (and fresh) Entware package (ep) install prior to installing TAILMON.
  • The Tailscale package was not there, so TAILMON can't have throught it was there and so it should have downloaded it? See picture.

• Instead I was presented with the TAILMON Main Setup and Configuration Menu, where it showed that Tailscale Entware Package was not installed. Putting yourself in the shoes of a newbie at this point there is no direction what to do next (maybe because you are not actually supposed to get to this screen until after it all "Express Installs" correctly?

• I did two Trials, removing both TAILMON and the supporting Entware package between the trials, same result, no express install. The only thing I did not do was reboot the Router between trials.

• The sequence (from NO TAILMON entry in amtm) was tm, yes (1), [presented with the TAILMON Main Setup and Configuration Menu], (1) install TS Entware Package, (y) to Install tailscale, press any key to continue, [presented with the TAILMON Main Setup and Configuration Menu again, with STOPPED AND DISCONNECTED], ran (S) Start TS Service [It started], then (u) Connect Service (it connected and gave me a link (this was also normally automatic), I posted the link and got a TS connection, then updated (P) TS from 1.58.2-1 to 1.68.1, threw an error but worked. i.e. currently fully functional but ugly way to get there.

• TRIAL ONE:
  • TRIAL TWO:
  • [EDIT]:
    TRIAL THREE with a UNINSTALL AND REBOOT, NEARLY SAME RESULT, NO EXPRESS INSTALL; 'Nearly the same' as it starts the Service, but does NOT connect. UP does not connect. HOWEVER, if I change the operating mode to Kernel, it goes down, says dead (in red text), but then comes up and offers me the Tailnet LINK, which after I post it into a browser, works again and the connection shows as Connected.

• Also saw error after a --reset (TAILMON C, I)
  • Also had the issue accessing local WAN IP. This issue has been seen by others. In userspace Mode, it seems UNLESS Tailscale is installed and running on this client (i.e. through tailscale?), you cannot access local IPs. Switching to Kernel Mode seems to fix this, I can access local IPs whether the client is connected or not.
What can I do to try to test (happy to remove/uninstall as much as necessary, reboot when the Router is not in use and test procedures in a specific order, provide contents of Dirs or Files via WinSCP etc.

I don't think the 3 Entware repositories ColIn was referring to of aarch64-k3.10, armv7sf-k3.2 and armv7sf-k2.6 would make it different between your AX6000 and my RT-AX86U and my RT-AX86U Pro, so I am stumped why it is not running the express install?

Asus Router Kernels (do not quote this but I believe it is correct) FYI

• RT-AC3100: 2.6.36.4brcmarm armv7l
  • RT-AC5300: 2.6.36.4brcmarm armv7l
  • RT-AC58U: 2.6.36.4brcmarm armv7l
  • RT-AC68U: 2.6.36.4brcmarm armv7l
  • RT-AC88U: 2.6.36.4brcmarm armv7l
  • GT-AC2900: 4.1.27 aarch64 [similar to RT-AC86U]
  • RT-AC86U: 4.1.27 aarch64
  • RT-AX68U: 4.1.52 aarch64
  • RT-AX86U: 4.1.52 aarch64
  • RT-AX88U: 4.1.52 aarch64
  • RT-AX86U_Pro: 4.19.183 aarch64
  • GT-AX6000: 4.19.183 aarch64
  • GT-AXE16000: 4.19.183 aarch64
Thanks for the info, @jksmurf ... I'll have to run through a complete uninstall/reinstall to see if I can duplicate this issue.

Thanks for the info, @jksmurf ... I'll have to run through a complete uninstall/reinstall to see if I can duplicate this issue.
Sure, thanks. If you want to send a test version that traps errors or makes a log I’d be happy to run it.

[EDIT] In my trials I had installed the 64 Bit Version of Entware as recommended.
I am not sure if this has any significance wrt the issues I am seeing?

Select Entware version

This router can run 32-bit or 64-bit Entware.

1. install 64-bit Entware (recommended)
2. install 32-bit Entware

Enter your selection [1-2]

Last edited:
I wonder if it's possible to make Merlin's sshd to accept connections on tailnet0.

I don't want to constantly accept routes from my out-of-home clients unless I need to. I just want to be able to ssh to the router's Tailnet IP. Does anyone know if this is possible without setting the sshd setting to accept connection from all of WAN?

(Thanks for the info, @jksmurf ... I'll have to run through a complete uninstall/reinstall to see if I can duplicate this issue.
Hi Viktor,

No need! I couldn't let it go, thinking about it overnight, so I decided to (in order):
  1. Completely uninstall TAILMON (which automatically removes the Tailscale entware dependencies); then
  2. Do an entware UNINSTALL. I used amtm's entware removal option 3 i.e. ep, 5, option 3.
  3. I then tested the "tm" (TAILMON) install WITHOUT entware and of course got the (correct) message that TAILMON needs entware as a prerequisite.
  4. I then reinstalled entware (ep, 64bit version).
  5. I then did the "tm" (TAILMON) install and hey Presto, it installed the two entware Tailscale dependencies then went onto the Express Install screen. Brilliant, I am a happy chappy!
So, the lesson for me here is if it gives error messages or does not behave during the install, strip back your amtm by removing TAILMON and especially your entware (ep) and then after the mandatory reboot), reinstall it,

Apologies if you have spent abortive time looking at it!

k.

Attachments

• entware.jpg
    entware.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Removed using ep 5 Option 3.jpg
    Removed using ep 5 Option 3.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi Viktor,

No need! I couldn't let it go, thinking about it overnight, so I decided to (in order):
  1. Completely uninstall TAILMON (which automatically removes the Tailscale entware dependencies); then
  2. Do an entware UNINSTALL. I used amtm's entware removal option 3 i.e. ep, 5, option 3.
  3. I then tested the "tm" (TAILMON) install WITHOUT entware and of course got the (correct) message that TAILMON needs entware as a prerequisite.
  4. I then reinstalled entware (ep, 64bit version).
  5. I then did the "tm" (TAILMON) install and hey Presto, it installed the two entware Tailscale dependencies then went onto the Express Install screen. Brilliant, I am a happy chappy!
So, the lesson for me here is if it gives error messages or does not behave duringthe install, strip back your amtm by removing TAILMON and especially your entware (ep) and then after the mandatory reboot), reinstall it,

Apologies if you have spent abortive time looking at it!

k.
You should not have to uninstall entware in order to cleanly reinstall tailmon. Let me see what else might be throwing us for a loop here...

@jksmurf ... please give this a try. I was explicitly looking for entware dependencies before launching the express install... changed up some of that logic for cases where those dependencies are already installed.

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/TAILMON/develop/tailmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh"

So basically, just uninstall TAILMON completely (don't uninstall/reinstall entware)... then install this version, and run it.

@jksmurf ... please give this a try. I was explicitly looking for entware dependencies before launching the express install... changed up some of that logic for cases where those dependencies are already installed.

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/TAILMON/develop/tailmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh"

So basically, just uninstall TAILMON completely (don't uninstall/reinstall entware)... then install this version, and run it.
Hi Viktor

Thank you! OK I used option 10 and said yes to uninstalling the Tailscale dependencies as the second part of that option. I then used your curl option for my reinstall; 1.0.19.

It all works fine, as expected, for two reasons (a) you're sooooo goooood and (b) my previous entware removal/reinstall that ultimately fixed my issue.

The thing here is that because I now have a successful entware install, I cannot really tell you with any certainty whether this version 'would have' fixed the old issue. All I can say is "it works as expected!". How do I know it's not just a placebo with an extra version number :) .

I have no idea why the previous one gave me so many issues, even after reinstalling via amtm. It was the more nuclear option of removing then reinstalling entware which is what ultimately fixed it for me, as above.

Thanks again !

k.

Last edited:
Hi Viktor

Thank you! OK I used option 10 and said yes to uninstalling the Tailscale dependencies as the second part of that option. I then used your curl option for my reinstall; 1.0.19.

It all works fine, as expected, for two reasons (a) you're sooooo goooood and (b) my previous entware removal/reinstall that ultimately fixed my issue.

The thing here is that because I now have a successful entware install, I cannot really tell you with any certainty whether this version 'would have' fixed the old issue. All I can say is "it works as expected!".

I have no idea why the previous one gave me so many issues, even after reinstalling via amtm. It was the more nuclear option of removing then reinstalling entware which is what ultimately fixed it for me, as above.

Thanks again !

k.
While I can't say exactly what the reasoning is for some of the issues you encountered, you do have to sometimes clear out entware and start over, especially when things seem to fail in a cascading way. Even formatting your EXT USB drive is a good way to go before reinstalling. But I do think this fix had something to do with it, because it wasn't getting to the express install when some prerequisites were already in place. I've gone through several uninstalls/reinstalls, and I'm getting good results like you reported... Thanks for your eyes on this!! :)

Small patch to fix some install/uninstall issues as it relates to entware prerequisites already being in place... thanks to @jksmurf for the heads-up and testing on his end! :)

What's new?
v1.0.19 - (June 19, 2024)
- PATCH:
Thanks to @jksmurf for the detailed writeup on the issues he encountered while trying to uninstall/reinstall TAILMON, along with issues with Entware he was dealing with. After going through the code, it seemed that TAILMON was bypassing the ability to use the express-install method if certain entware prerequisites were already installed. This has been tested and fixed!

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/TAILMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/TAILMON/master/tailmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh"

I wonder if it's possible to make Merlin's sshd to accept connections on tailnet0.

I don't want to constantly accept routes from my out-of-home clients unless I need to. I just want to be able to ssh to the router's Tailnet IP. Does anyone know if this is possible without setting the sshd setting to accept connection from all of WAN?
SSH works out of the box for me using userspace mode... I can access the router using the router's LAN IP from anywhere safely and securely... and yes, exposing SSH over the WAN is a big no-no.

since 1.0.12 where I installed Tailmon manually through

curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/TAILMON/master/tailmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/tailmon.sh"

I’m only able to update it manually by running the command again

On update Menu it seems it only see 1.0.12 as the current update and suggest me to downgrade to it. Please see pictures. I have held back from updating just in case you needed more info from me to squish this bug.

Attachments

• 72D3F860-0364-4B57-BC08-734766B5B994.jpeg
    72D3F860-0364-4B57-BC08-734766B5B994.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 9
  • 736403AE-1923-49B5-9481-BD7BD77478B5.jpeg
    736403AE-1923-49B5-9481-BD7BD77478B5.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 63895D7C-4ACB-49A7-A5C9-CDC702307C1E.jpeg
    63895D7C-4ACB-49A7-A5C9-CDC702307C1E.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
since 1.0.12 where I installed Tailmon manually through

I’m only able to update it manually by running the command again

On update Menu it seems it only see 1.0.12 as the current update and suggest me to downgrade to it. Please see pictures. I have held back from updating just in case you needed more info from me to squish this bug.
It seems the versioning file is stuck, or read-only or something... how about try to delete this file:

Code:
rm /jffs/addons/tailmon.d/version.txt

Then go back into the update menu item, and check again? It should recreate the file using the latest available version visible on github.

Last edited:
I’ve deleted the file which’s contents were 1.0.12

Update showed empty updated version. I went through with the update but it turned out that it just reinstalled the same version 1.0.18 and returned again to suggest 1.0.12 as the update version. If I would click yes to update it would now install 1.0.12

Attachments

• 86C27BC1-4739-4C0F-8749-600DB025C243.jpeg
    86C27BC1-4739-4C0F-8749-600DB025C243.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 13
I’ve deleted the file which’s contents were 1.0.12

Update showed empty updated version. I went through with the update but it turned out that it just reinstalled the same version 1.0.18 and returned again to suggest 1.0.12 as the update version. If I would click yes to update it would now install 1.0.12
There must be something seriously wrong with your permissions... can you please verify that your permissions look like this?

1719011903641.png

And after running that update, what version are you on now?

Can you also run this?

Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/TAILMON/main/version.txt"

Last edited:
Hoping you're in a different timezone, @Dr.Rom ... but curious what your findings are?

I ran update twice and after both times I’m still in 1.0.18. Updated version showing empty like last picture

I ran the command in the picture attached. It looks normal.

I would like to add that I’m connected to the device remotely through Tailscale and during the update processes and tailmon restart I was not kicked out of terminal/connection.

Attachments

• F65370C4-F934-4BF8-AD4C-8E7CEABC410F.jpeg
    F65370C4-F934-4BF8-AD4C-8E7CEABC410F.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: