What's new

VirtualBox behind a wireless bridge -- require a static route?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheBobs

New Around Here
Hi All,

I have a virtualbox running on a windows 7 host that is on the other side of a wireless bridged LAN (LAN B). Everything on that side of the bridge can see the virtualbox but nothing on (LAN A) can see it. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-J

P.S. I've attached a diagram to depict the dilemma.

Attachments

• VirtualBox issue.jpg
    VirtualBox issue.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 573
Hi All,

I have a virtualbox running on a windows 7 host that is on the other side of a wireless bridged LAN (LAN B). Everything on that side of the bridge can see the virtualbox but nothing on (LAN A) can see it. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-J

P.S. I've attached a diagram to depict the dilemma.

yes - you probably want one - and this has little to do with the WLAN forums...

My apologies -- I've assumed the issue probably a networking issue with the WLAN bridge. Where should this have been posted instead?

I probably do want a route somewhere, the reason I am asking.

Solved

I can't even pretend to understand why this works, but adding a static route on LAN A's netgear (192.168.10.1) to Lab B's netgear (192.168.10.16) with a metric of 2 resolved this. I can now see the VM on Lan B from Lan A. :)

Attachments

• VirtualBox issue - fix.jpg
    VirtualBox issue - fix.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 270
My apologies -- I've assumed the issue probably a networking issue with the WLAN bridge. Where should this have been posted instead?

I probably do want a route somewhere, the reason I am asking.

It's a LAN/WAN/Routing question - the static route should work... been a long time since I've tinkered with VBox (I'm a VMWare user <grin>).

I can't even pretend to understand why this works, but adding a static route on LAN A's netgear (192.168.10.1) to Lab B's netgear (192.168.10.16) with a metric of 2 resolved this. I can now see the VM on Lan B from Lan A. :)

Glad that you solved your problem. You might try here in the future:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!