What's new

VPN Fusion: Select by target IP, not client device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TomHil

New Around Here
VPN Fusion lets me activate one of the configured VPN destinations based on the client device. For example, if enabled, all clients (streaming apps) on my AppleTV go through the VPN (in my case NordVPN). This is indeed what I want for certain streaming apps going to geo-limited international streaming TV stations. But not all, please. When trying to stream from a domestic site (e.g. Netflix) I don't want to go through that same VPN (because Netflix now thinks I'm somewhere in Timbuktu and stops streaming). I have to go back and forth between VPN on and VPN off for every TV show.
So my question is: Can I somehow configure VPN Fusion that from a certain device (my AppleTV), certain content from/to station XYZ (identified by its IP address) goes through the VPN, whereas all others go straight to WAN (or another VPN) ? I don''t mind digging deep below the ASUS-WRT GUI if that's what it takes.

This may be easier to do in ASUS-Merlin, but unfortunately my ASUS RT-BE88U doesn't support Merlin.

Any help and/or pointers are appreciated.

No. VPN Fusion redirects all traffic for a specific device.

Your router will be supported from the next Asuswrt-Merlin release.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Would something like this be possible in ASUS-Merlin if I had a Merlin-compatible router?
If the destion is a specific IP address (and not one hidden behind a CDN) then yes, Asuswrt-Merlin's VPN Director can handle that.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online