What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R2 v2.0 -Jul 10, 2022- Monitor your VPN connection's Health (Thread locked/closed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

* CHANGED: No longer requires you (or forces you) to use the CoreUtils-Timeout package, nor does it require you to have Entware installed in order to run VPNMON-R2

Just for the heck of it I did an "-uninstall" of 1.6 and then started from scratch with1.7b5 and "-install". Was able to say "No" to CoreUtils option and it seemed happy enough with that and is all up and running again as before. Thanks again @Viktor Jaep.

Just for the heck of it I did an "-uninstall" of 1.6 and then started from scratch with1.7b5 and "-install". Was able to say "No" to CoreUtils option and it seemed happy enough with that and is all up and running again as before. Thanks again @Viktor Jaep.
Excellent! Well, get ready for v1.7... coming shortly! Thanks for testing this and making sure everything continues to work as normal! :)

Thanks to everyone for all your help testing this new functionality! v1.7 is available for download! :)

v1.7 - (June 4, 2022)
* SIGNIFICANT:
Added capabilities for Perfect Privacy VPN services on VPNMON-R2. As with the Surfshark integration, you get to enjoy all the same features that both Surfshark and NordVPN users get to have. You can randomly pick to randomly reconnect one of your VPN slots at a scheduled time, use Perfect Privacy SuperRandom functionality to pick one random server within your country, or from multiple countries to connect to, and optionally updates Skynet to ensure that your connection experience stays whitelisted at all times. Thanks for the suggestion, @Swistheater!
* SIGNIFICANT: Added the option to leverage your Entware installation in order to utilize the CoreUtils-Timeout utility. It is recommended to allow VPNMON-R2 to use this utility in order to cut down on (what I'm guessing is) random hardware-level hangups when calling for nvram values specifically on RT-AC86U routers. When running VPNMON-R2, it will detect whether or not you have CoreUtils-Timeout installed, and will use the utility if it's present. If it's not installed, VPNMON-R2 will just operate as normal. You can install this optional utility using the -install switch, and step through option 1.
* ADDED: Created a new Install menu that you can access by running 'vpnmon-r2.sh -install'. This option will guide the user through installing the optional Entware CoreUtils-Timeout utility, and prompt the user to go through the config menu. You also have the option to force re-install the Entware Timeout utility, or go through the vpnmon-r2 uninstall process.
* FIXED: There was an issue with the Load calculation for Perfect Privacy. Added corrective measures, and should be showing the correct values now!
* CHANGED: Some code cleanup and other housekeeping items

Download link (or check via: vpnmon-r2.sh -update):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.7.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Last edited:
v1.7 is available for download!
Have installed production release and this time said "yes" to the CoreUtils install, running fine on my RT-AX86U.

See this?? How am I supposed to work under these conditions, @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow @Stephen Harrington!!! :p

damncat.jpg

How am I supposed to work under these conditions
See that's where you have it all wrong - you should be grateful you are occasionally allowed to use "her" Heated Sleeping Pad AKA Laptop.
(And yes, in case you can't tell, still missing my near 17 year-old cat who passed in February)

I guess the testing is done for this cycle then? :p

Unknown.jpeg

Minor fix release today... sorry for any inconvenience if you noticed your logs complaining that server load was being exceeded, but it wasn't getting reset. ;)

v1.71 - (June 9, 2022)
* FIXED: Minor fix on the code that handled resets when VPN server loads exceeded a certain amount. The code was preventing a reset, unless you were a Perfect Privacy VPN user. Fixed!

Minor fix release today... sorry for any inconvenience if you noticed your logs complaining that server load was being exceeded, but it wasn't getting reset. ;)

v1.71 - (June 9, 2022)
* FIXED: Minor fix on the code that handled resets when VPN server loads exceeded a certain amount. The code was preventing a reset, unless you were a Perfect Privacy VPN user. Fixed!
That is one way to keep perfect privacy users private!

In celebration of Merlin's firmware 386.7 release, here's a new version of vpnmon-r2 to go along with it! Enjoy! :)

v1.8 - (June 23, 2022)
* ADDED: A new row of VPN stats have been added to include current protocol, port, cryptography, and authentication digest, just to give you more detailed info pertaining to your current VPN connection.
* CHANGED: Made some minor changes to the look/feel and layout of the UI, and gave it more of an old skool DOS folders kind of feel. Please note, I will never be satisfied with the look, and will continue to enhance it when I find something else that's pleasing to the eye. Also, the progress bar will change from green to yellow to red as it gets closer to its interval time.

vpnmon-r2-1.8.JPG

Excellent work. Thanks again!

I have a suggestion for the next update that could make the update process faster for people. What if you looked for an existing config file and read the contents to use those as the default if the values exist? If they don't, then the defaults you hardcoded are provided. None of this would change the behavior of the script permitting the user to change the defaults.

For example:
  • New user, no config file: Nothing changes. The -config command provides the defaults you currently use.
  • Existing user with a config file, but you have new variables: Read the config files, for those variables that already exist, use that as the default instead of your defaults.
    • If a user previously set 9.9.9.9 to test connectivity, then you would display that as the default instead of 8.8.8.8.
    • If the variable is new to this release, then you use the default you hardcoded.
  • Existing user with config file and no new variables: They can just hit Enter almost the entire way through to keep their original settings.

Excellent work. Thanks again!

I have a suggestion for the next update that could make the update process faster for people. What if you looked for an existing config file and read the contents to use those as the default if the values exist? If they don't, then the defaults you hardcoded are provided. None of this would change the behavior of the script permitting the user to change the defaults.

For example:
  • New user, no config file: Nothing changes. The -config command provides the defaults you currently use.
  • Existing user with a config file, but you have new variables: Read the config files, for those variables that already exist, use that as the default instead of your defaults.
    • If a user previously set 9.9.9.9 to test connectivity, then you would display that as the default instead of 8.8.8.8.
    • If the variable is new to this release, then you use the default you hardcoded.
  • Existing user with config file and no new variables: They can just hit Enter almost the entire way through to keep their original settings.
I like it, @iTyPsIDg!!

First of all great work , really love this script
would it be possible to select vpn based on ping aswell

First of all great work , really love this script
would it be possible to select vpn based on ping aswell
Would you mind expanding on what you're looking for it to do? Also, which VPN provider are you using?

Would you mind expanding on what you're looking for it to do? Also, which VPN provider are you using?
i basically use nord for streaming and nvpn for private stuff , when it comes to streaming and downloading stuff better the ping , better the speed as far as i have noticed .
I basically rely on Singapore based servers, some times they get clogged and i have to switch to South Korea or Japan

So what i was thinking is if SG load is over 50% select between Sk or japan based on ping .

i basically use nord for streaming and nvpn for private stuff , when it comes to streaming and downloading stuff better the ping , better the speed as far as i have noticed .
I basically rely on Singapore based servers, some times they get clogged and i have to switch to South Korea or Japan

So what i was thinking is if SG load is over 50% select between Sk or japan based on ping .
I would have to make a wild guess that if the load increases, so does the ping. So what if you tried this... pick your local Nord servers that would normally provide you with the best speeds, and populate those in your 5 VPN slots. Then, decrease your load parameter from 50, to say... 25? If your SG server exceeds that load, then it will continue to randomly pick a server with a lower ping/load below 25. Thoughts?

Please know... I'm just guessing that a higher load would yield a higher ping... I'll have to see if this correlates. But this might be workable?

EDIT: In the end, this is a great idea, @JAX1337 ... I could use the ping value going across the tunnel as another parameter I could measure against in order to force a reset in search of something that's lower than the set criteria.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!