What's new

Why are MLO-enabled networks usually guest networks?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

portets

Occasional Visitor
I've noticed multiple companies' new Wi-Fi 7 routers create an alternate MLO-enabled "guest" or virtual SSID when you turn on MLO. Non-Wi-Fi 7 devices all seem to be able to connect to this MLO SSID with no detriment. Why isn't the main SSID MLO-enabled? Why the need for a separate virtual SSID?

Last edited:
From the Asus FAQ:
[Wi-Fi 7 Wireless Router] What is MLO (multi-link Operation) and how it works?
Wi-Fi 7 introduces two advanced modes of operation for Multi-Link Operation (MLO): STR (Simultaneous Transmit and Receive) and EMLSR (enhanced Multi-Link-Single-Radio).
I belive they use a separate physical CPU (that controls a 2.4GHz radio and a 5GHz radio) to be used for MLO, so it is probably not just a virtual SSID. But it just what i belive, i just started to read about it a few days ago...

I've noticed multiple companies' new Wi-Fi 7 routers create an alternate MLO-enabled "guest" or virtual SSID when you turn on MLO. Non-Wi-Fi 7 devices all seem to be able to connect to this MLO SSID with no detriment. Why isn't the main SSID MLO-enabled? Why the need for a separate virtual SSID?

Perhaps so one can "kick the tires" and experiment without affecting the primary client stations, many of which may not be MLO aware, along with legacy ERP/HT/VHT/HE clients...

Perhaps so one can "kick the tires" and experiment without affecting the primary client stations
I had a feeling it may be this. Probably safe to assume this is the answer for now. I wonder if eventually the main SSID will have an MLO toggle instead of this virtual SSID setup

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!