What's new

Wireguard and fw 3.0.0.4.388.20000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

javo

Occasional Visitor
Just a couple of days ago, Asus published support faqs for Wireguard https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1048281/

But in the documentation says that wg support will be on fw 3.0.0.4.388.20000 or later, but right now most of the fw versions are .386

Are there in this moment some routers that carry a fw version .388?

I think if Asus published those new wg support pages, means new fw will be release soon.

I think if Asus published those new wg support pages, means new fw will be release soon.
Or not.
Who knows?
Fact is they are working on Wireguard support.
The rest is pure (and pointless) speculation.

RMerlin just confirmed that one of the first Asus routers with 388.xx firmware will be on the RT-AX86U Pro, with updated SDK and expected in August/September 2022.

Migration to 388 for the other models will follow over the course of multiple months after the initial launch of the RT-AX86U Pro and RT-AXE7800 that will both debut with 388.

No info on whether they would backport WG support early on to 386, but personally that would surprise me. Their WG support comes with other VPN-related enhancements that will debut with 388 as well.

No info on whether they would backport WG support early on to 386, but personally that would surprise me.

Agree.

I don't think Asus will enhance 386 with WG support, especially with the new routers that will have 388 installed coming soon.

Migration to 388 for the other models will follow over the course of multiple months after the initial launch of the RT-AX86U Pro and RT-AXE7800 that will both debut with 388.

No info on whether they would backport WG support early on to 386, but personally that would surprise me. Their WG support comes with other VPN-related enhancements that will debut with 388 as well.

Will you be offering a Merlin version of 388 as soon as the routers hit the street?

Lol...

Information from asus developers regarding firmware for older AX models "... our release official firmware in next stage, ETA would be at Q3 this year."

ASUS Router app is already officially released with support for new firmware

[new feature]
***Supports router firmware later than 388.xxxxx.

Wow Asus is being stubborn with having just one 2.5 GBe port on both those routers. I have to be stubborn with my wallet as well then.

I need a budget Wifi 6E with two 2.5 gbe ports ($300 range). Guess these companies are going to nickel and dime customers under the garb of chip shortage.

Have you considered the GT-AX6000? Seems to be in your price range.

I need a budget Wifi 6E with two 2.5 gbe ports ($300 range). Guess these companies are going to nickel and dime customers under the garb of chip shortage.
You can`t have high-end features at a middle range price. There are products with the specs that you want, just not in the price range you are willing to pay.

I need a budget Wifi 6E with two 2.5 gbe ports ($300 range)

Not sure why you 'need' 6E?

Today, the above-quoted terms are mutually exclusive (Budget, WiFi 6E, Two 2.5GbE Ports, $300 range). :)

I'm well aware of the general price inflation we are all experiencing, but this also seems like a general trend toward "price creep": a mid-range "consumer/home user" AIO router for several years was in the $200-$250 range, now the expectation starts closer to $300, with many models well into the $400 to $500+ range. A bit hard to justify, IMO.

Sorry, off topic for the thread, but relevant to recent discussions.

I'm well aware of the general price inflation we are all experiencing, but this also seems like a general trend toward "price creep": a mid-range "consumer/home user" AIO router for several years was in the $200-$250 range, now the expectation starts closer to $300, with many models well into the $400 to $500+ range. A bit hard to justify, IMO.

Sorry, off topic for the thread, but relevant to recent discussions.
Wifi 6E means you need three radios. That`s not something you`ll find in a middle range product, that extra radio + extra amps + extra antennas add to the cost.