What's new

Wireless network with directional antenna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Microdot

New Around Here
I would like some help with setting up my wireless network.

I live in a country that charges insane amounts for fibre optic internet (€50 pm). The plan is to share my parent’s internet as they barely use it.

Problem is I live around 200 meters down the road through several thick concrete walls. I have drawn a diagram which is my proposed solution. (please see below)

The set up is fairly simple. Wireless Router A conects to the fiber optic normally, and also broascasts a wifi signal for all items in house A. Router B is located at the edge of house A conected to Router A a via cat5 (Router A cable from LAN port, cable into internet port of router B). Router B with directional antenna directs wifi up the road to my house (house B).

This whole set up will cost around $400-500 in my estimation including cabling.

My question is:

Does anyone foresee any problems with my proposed setup?

Is there and easier and/or cheaper option?

Any suggests would be very much welcomed.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Network.jpg
    Network.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 634
you'll need to have antenna positions such that there is line of sight between the two locations.
If you can achieve that, it will cost about US$150 for two outdoor weatherproof WiFi bridges. See products from Enginous and Cisco/Linksys, among others. These have integral antennas - the cable is cat5. At 2.4GHz, a lengthy antenna coax and an indoor unit won't work.

Last edited:
Howdy,

What your trying to do will work. Do you have clear line-of-sight or close to that between locations?
The naming of what you are doing is called a client bridge (cb)

Like what stevech said, engenius products have equipment which will work.

The only change I would suggest is;
from your main router, running cat5 cable out to where you would mount the outside access point (this unit would be a POE outside access point) which would send the signal to the second location, where you would have another POE access point set as a client bridge. Cat5 wire back to where you would have this attached to a switch to give the second location internet. That is hardwired access/or You could add a simple wifi access point again to give the second location local wifi access as well. (could even be a router in access point mode, which in itself has usually 4 ports)

Other things come into play as well, secure seperation? internet only? file sharing? or complete isolation. This will make the decision on how and what settings the AP and CB are configured.

if you use a pair of outdoor bridges, there are no system access / security issues. A bridge pair is just a replacement for wire from point A to B.

The bridge link wireless should be encrypted of course.

Thank you for your help.

So what your suggesting is I connect a wireless access point to the router in House A through a cat5 (30 meters). Which with the clear line of sight to house B transmit to a second AP in Client bridge mode. This will then connect to a wireless router in AP mode through a cat5. (There is only a clear line of sight from both houses from the edge of the property, hence the long cable to get there.)

If thats correct do you think there will be less signal degredation compared with my version or more?
Also is 150 meters between the two AP's enought to affect the signal strenght?

Thank you for your help.

So what your suggesting is I connect a wireless access point to the router in House A through a cat5 (30 meters). Which with the clear line of sight to house B transmit to a second AP in Client bridge mode. This will then connect to a wireless router in AP mode through a cat5. (There is only a clear line of sight from both houses from the edge of the property, hence the long cable to get there.)

If thats correct do you think there will be less signal degredation compared with my version or more?
Also is 150 meters between the two AP's enought to affect the signal strenght?

Howdy,
I used a fellow member here Jeff Keenen of Keenen Systems.
I used the engenius eoc2611p unit with an omni directional antennae attached as AP mode with 3 other eoc 2611p units pointed to it operating as client bridges. Each of those then have a simple sapido router set as AP mode to then have simple local wifi at that location, as well as having the ports for other hardwired items. AP with omni with 3 multi-point sites 1st location 506ft, 2nd location 1205ft, 3rd location 3768ft, all work great.

If you have a lot of 2.4Ghz traffic in the area, then you might be better off with the eoc5611p since its the same thing but works in the 5Ghz band range.
POE = power over ethernet, will let you place the unit up to 100 meters away from the power source. So 30 meters is not a problem. Cat5 outdoor rated cable and your good to go....
The engenius eoc5611p and eoc2611p both are outdoor poe units with built in antenna's

Last edited:
I have ordered two engenius eoc2611p and 50 meters of outdoor cat5 cable.

Will let you know how things work out.

Big Thanks :)

It worked!!!

Through 300 meters of overgrown trees, hedges and less than perfect visibility, the signal made it to my house with a very good signal quality.

The only minor problem is my AP router at my end providing a local wireless network. It seems to splutter when a wirelessly connected windows pc comes out of sleep mode and tries to reconnect to the network through the AP router. But usually corrects itself after 5 mins or so.

Thanks again Daybreak and stevech.

It worked!!!

Through 300 meters of overgrown trees, hedges and less than perfect visibility, the signal made it to my house with a very good signal quality.

The only minor problem is my AP router at my end providing a local wireless network. It seems to splutter when a wirelessly connected windows pc comes out of sleep mode and tries to reconnect to the network through the AP router. But usually corrects itself after 5 mins or so.

Thanks again Daybreak and stevech.

If you disable the nic adapter for power saving feature in the driver settings.

Still having a little trouble with this:

Disabling the nic didn’t work.

I think the problem is with one of the engenius eoc2611p or the main router, the network still goes down for a few mins when a PC wakes from sleep connect, also my android phone and wifi printer cause the connection to go down briefly too.

There is no access to the main router and engenius products but the network on the local AP wifi functions fine (ie I can still print through the wifi, access other computers and drives on the local AP) but do not have access the main router and engenius eco's.

Can anyone answer as to why the system needs to reset every time a device is added to the local AP?

Many Thanks

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!