What's new

Wireless/Wired Router Configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mcintire2

New Around Here
I want to make sure my planned configuration will work. Cable modem > wireless/wired router > 24-port switch > various PC's, printers, etc. Everything in the house is wired, just need a combo router for when the kids come back home with their wireless devices. Does anyone see any issue with this configuration?

Thanks

Last edited:
looks fine.
Standard config.
24 port switch is costly!
Compare to 3 or so 8 port 10/100/1000 switches.
Consumer routers (low cost) stop at 8 ports. Price jumps at 24 ports.

Thanks

looks fine.
Standard config.
24 port switch is costly!
Compare to 3 or so 8 port 10/100/1000 switches.
Consumer routers (low cost) stop at 8 ports. Price jumps at 24 ports.

Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure of the config, but wanted a 2nd opinion. I already had the 24-port gigabit switch from a failed business, a Dell Power Connect. As I've wired every room in the house with at least 2 ports, I'm using just about all the switch ports.

Last edited:
was all the cat5 wiring done before drywall was up?
If not, curious how you did the runs without a big hassle.

Wiring

No. My home was built in 1886, with what they called a 'high basement.' Therefore, I have full access to all of the living area floors from the basement. I bored up into the center of the walls and installed the plug-ins in the 12" tall baseboard. I used only Cat5e for everything, but am thinking about pulling new Cat6a in its place, since all my PC's have gigabit capability on the LAN side. Also, the new router I'm looking at has a USB port where I can hook up my 4TB NAS unit. (I have hundreds of blueprints, some of which are upwards of 100MB each) No music or videos, just data that I need to keep (for my client's sake) for at least 5 years.

Last edited:
cat6 won't affect your gigabit ethernet performance.
Some say that, at 100m or so, with 1000BT, you need cat6. But others say that high quality cat5e (low capacitance) even at 100m is good enough.
For sure, there is some poor quality cat5 out there.

the router's USB port is for disks in a USB enclosure. I can't see how a NAS would mate with a router- as a NAS's USB port is, like a PC, intended to accept simple USB drives and flash memory thumb drives.

Of course, the NAS normally uses Ethernet to share files.

(PS, WIFi routers' USB ports for USB disks do work, but they are quite slow. OK if you have no big files).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!