What's new

[Alpha] Pre-release test builds available (both 380 and 382 branches)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see Asus came out with their 382 binary for the ac3200 (19466). I was hoping they hadn't dead ended it [emoji4] phew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With my AC3100, one thing I’ve noticed with both 382.2 alpha 1 & 2 is that after roughly 24 hours of uptime the CPU usage of one core goes to 100% and stays there until a reboot is done. I use Ab-Solution and Transmission though I’ve attempted to disable both without any luck at getting CPU back to normal.

Is there AI Mesh in these prereleases? I installed it on one of my AC68 but couldnt find it so figuring it isn't included.

Is there AI Mesh in these prereleases? I installed it on one of my AC68 but couldnt find it so figuring it isn't included.

No. The features are the same as in 382_18881/382_18991.

Is there any chance that the new alpah builds are causing a draing on a nest thermostat? I'm asuming that is unlikely, but since installing the last alpha 2 (a day ago), it has gone into low battery mode. This can sometimes be caused by routers that don't deal well with low energy devices.

Is there any chance that the new alpah builds are causing a draing on a nest thermostat? I'm asuming that is unlikely, but since installing the last alpha 2 (a day ago), it has gone into low battery mode. This can sometimes be caused by routers that don't deal well with low energy devices.
If the thermostat is constantly dropping and scanning for connection then that might be the reason your nest is going to low batt, otherwise, the router has no influence. If it's not already, use the 2.4GHz band for the connection for a better stability, nest use single stream anyway even for the 5GHz band.

If the thermostat is constantly dropping and scanning for connection then that might be the reason your nest is going to low batt, otherwise, the router has no influence. If it's not already, use the 2.4GHz band for the connection for a better stability, nest use single stream anyway even for the 5GHz band.

Thanks. I actually rolled back to the last stable non alpha merlin version, and all seem seems to be well again. This is not definitive, because I'm in Mass, and its getting bloody cold, but I suspect that the version 2 of the alpha software (prior to the version that was just dropped last night, whcih is also alpha version 2) was causing issues with the next thermostat. I've never, ever, had an issue with the battery before, and diagnosis showed it was getting charge, but not fast enough to replace.

Now that I'm back to the non-alpha firmware, all seems well. I think there is an issue with some firmware and low energy using devices (such as thermostats). At any rate, I'll wait until Merlin gets further along with this build (at least beta) before I try again.

On this latest alpha for the AC88u I am unable to disable b/g protection for 2.5Ghz wireless, the button is greyed out.

Update: This appears to be a Chrome 63 issue as I'm able to disable it in alternate browsers.

Last edited:
Hey @RMerlin I just updated to 380.69_beta1 on my AC5300 and I noticed this bug. I have attached it. I don't think anyone else mentioned it so I figured I'd let you know! Again, thanks for your hard work and dedication! :)

w5ZiGrQ.png
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...0-69-beta-is-now-available.42660/#post-363382

anybody been trying the alpa for their ac68u? if its been stable for some i'll probably test it out. i do gaming a lot so as long as it's stable for that i'll check it out.

Now that I'm back to the non-alpha firmware, all seems well. I think there is an issue with some firmware and low energy using devices (such as thermostats). At any rate, I'll wait until Merlin gets further along with this build (at least beta) before I try again.
It's possible, however, my nest thermostat is just fine with 68P 382.2 alpha 2.

Thanks. I actually rolled back to the last stable non alpha merlin version, and all seem seems to be well again. This is not definitive, because I'm in Mass, and its getting bloody cold, but I suspect that the version 2 of the alpha software (prior to the version that was just dropped last night, whcih is also alpha version 2) was causing issues with the next thermostat. I've never, ever, had an issue with the battery before, and diagnosis showed it was getting charge, but not fast enough to replace.

I had huge problems with the g30 68u alpha2 firmware and was ready to rollback but saw the new g50 version which seems to solve my problems. On the older one, a reboot could cause it to go into a reboot loop with the only option being to factory reset it (I almost know my vpn password by heart now...). Was a huge pain just to get the new firmware on it. Now it seems to better behave itself.
Fingers crossed.

Does the latest build include this for the 88u?

Bug Fixed
- Fixed IPTV related issue
- Fixed IGMP snooping related issue.

Does the latest build include this for the 88u?

Bug Fixed
- Fixed IPTV related issue
- Fixed IGMP snooping related issue.

I don't know, which Asus GPL included these fixes?

Which version of alpha 2. There was an earlier and a more recent version (don't know why no increment in the number when that happens).

Because they are just test builds, they are not official release. I don't increase the release version every time I do a new compile, you have to rely on the hash tag to determine which build is which.

Which version of alpha 2. There was an earlier and a more recent version (don't know why no increment in the number when that happens).
Both alpha 2's works with nest. Like what Merlin said, hash tags differ plus the dates.
alpha 2.jpg

Last edited:
382.2 Alpha2 for AC68U installed to my RT-AC66U_B1 successfully. Have all the features of the official Asus release plus the Merlin extras! Added a USB for swap as well as a 1TB EXT3 USB drive. Running the SMB2 protocol with successful file transfers. About the only thing that I've tried that doesn't work is Smart Sync and that does not work on the official Asus firmware either. Still testing the Adaptive QOS and have not come to a conclusion, yet, if default sfq, codel, or fq_codel works better. Seem to have more buffer bloat with the 382.2 alpha than the official.

Status
Not open for further replies.