What's new

Asus AX86u 2.4GHz WiFi Interference Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

h3nry8888

New Around Here
I have 2 Asus AX86u (1 main + 1 ai mesh wired)

For the last couple of months, my 2.4GHz devices have been experiencing some issues with interference.

I noticed the issue when my Ring cameras were intermittently dropping off the WiFi and reconnecting. When streaming, the video quality is very pixelated. My Wyze v3 cameras have also started to show pixelated videos when streaming.

I also have a Eufy Homebase 3 with 3 E330 Pro cameras which record 24/7 to the homebase directly on its own WiFi network. I have tried eliminating a lot of my 2.4GHz devices but still continue to experience this issue.

What I have tried so far:

• Change WiFi Channel 1,6, 11
  • Ensure the Eufy Homebase 3 is on a separate WiFi channel
  • Eufy sent me a new Homebase 3 as I initially thought the issue was from their Homebase WiFi network
I have tried factory resetting the AX86u routers and setting up from scratch. I also went as far as downloading the Merlin firmware version 3004.388.7.

The weird thing is that the WiFi interference seems to be worse in the day than at night. I initially thought that someone was using a WiFi jammer but I doubt that is the case.

When I look at the Channel Statistics, I can see the graph spiking up and down for both (available capacity vs non-WiFi traffic. (pictures attached)

Is this a sign of the WiFi on the Router failing or something else? What else can I try?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-15 150409.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-15 150409.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Professional Settings.png
    Professional Settings.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 33
  • WiFi - Good.png
    WiFi - Good.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 31
  • WiFi - Bad.png
    WiFi - Bad.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 32
I will add,
Very intermittent but when I have the interference issues, my bluetooth mouse becomes laggy and my bluetooth speaker sound starts getting choppy.
I have a Smartthings hub v2 in which I tried changing the zigbee channel + tried to disconnect this to see if this was causing the issue in which it made no difference.

Appreciate any feedback and tips!

Change the channel to a fixed channel at 20mhz. 2.4GHz is very problematic with interference and will likely never work great unless your living in the woods.

Change the channel to a fixed channel at 20mhz. 2.4GHz is very problematic with interference and will likely never work great unless your living in the woods.
Do you have any USB device plugged into the router?
Are there any un configured "smart" devices trying to connect to your WIFI?

Both active USB device in USB 3.x mode as well as WPA2/WPA3 with PMF required may cause issues with IoT devices.

I had your issue initially, and moved IoT clients to 2.4Ghz Guest Network. Use 2 or 3, not 1. Rolling along great now.

If you change the Authentication Method to WPA2-Personal option Disable will appear as well. WPA3 requires PMF.

Do you have any USB device plugged into the router?
Are there any un configured "smart" devices trying to connect to your WIFI?
No USB device plugged in.
The only other devices I have that use 2.4GHz WiFi that are somewhat data hungry with transmission are:
-3 Ring Cameras
-3 Wyze Cams
-3 Eufy E330 cameras to HomeBase 3 which has its own wifi network. I also tried switching the Eufy homebase to Channel 1 so its not the same as Channel 6 (Asus Router)

I also have a Samsung Smartthings v2 Hub which is connected to a handful of zigbee sensors (door/window sensors, 2 Weiser door locks, 1 smart bulb)

If you change the Authentication Method to WPA2-Personal option Disabled will appear as well.
Thanks! Do you see value in downgrading it to WPA2 only? I curently have it on WPA2/WPA3. I am going to guess most of my 2.4GHz devices are old anyways and don't support WPA3.

Do you see value in downgrading it to WPA2 only?

I don't see any of your 2.4GHz clients capable of WPA3 anyway. They are perhaps 802.11n devices and there is no WPA3 there. Look at the Asus FAQ and my example settings. I cut off anything not needed, not used or used for marketing purposes only for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

I had your issue initially, and moved IoT clients to 2.4Ghz Guest Network. Use 2 or 3, not 1. Rolling along great now.
This is very interesting. I thought about this too but since the AX-86u is Dual Band and now Tri-band, I am curious how this made a difference. Assume its just broadcasting 2 separate SSIDs but its the same 2.4GHz hardware (antenna/card) that is being used on the router.

I will try this out and report back in a couple days and hope this works for me too.
Appreciate you sharing your feedback!

This is very interesting. I thought about this too but since the AX-86u is Dual Band and now Tri-band, I am curious how this made a difference. Assume its just broadcasting 2 separate SSIDs but its the same 2.4GHz hardware (antenna/card) that is being used on the router.

I will try this out and report back in a couple days and hope this works for me too.
Appreciate you sharing your feedback!
This is what I wanted to do as well, but a few of my IoT (Shelly) devices are much closer to my AIMesh Nodes than my main Router. AIMesh on most current Routers (i.e. running 3.0.0.4 386/388 firmware) only propogates guest network 1 (i.e. GN1) to the nodes, but not the GN2 or GN3 networks.

I wanted to utilise the Nodes for the GN2 and GN3 Guest Networks (my IoT Wifi SSID) but as @Tech9 has pointed out on multiple occasions, it won't be before you get not only a Router FW version (3.0.0.6 102) that supports it, but also updated nodes, with the same updated firmware, that support it. Great way to sell more Routers I guess....

Last edited: