What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not familiar with the Amaze but I assume it has similar options to other Andriod phones. I'd backup contacts and do a factory restore.

No more Chinese weather!!!

I'm not familiar with the Amaze but I assume it has similar options to other Andriod phones. I'd backup contacts and do a factory restore.

Correction - Not-SOLVED: After spending hours on the phone with ASUS, T-Mobile, and HTC (the latter of which recommended that I wipe my phone!), I decided to pair my phone to another router and then re-pair my phone back to my Black Night.

So I drove to my nearest McDonalds and took a drag off of their free Wi-Fi. I didn't even give them the common courtesy of ordering a 2 for 2 cheeseburger combo!

On the way home, I "forgot" my home network settings on my Wi-Fi settings, as well as selected "Clear Data" for anything that looked like a clock or weather service/ap on my Droid's Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All tab.

Upon arriving home, I re-connected to my home network, typed in the password again, and walla - no more Suzhou weather or time!!!

I guess that by pairing to another router it forced out the bad cache from my initial pairing with my new Black Knight? Who knows, but all I can say is that it worked!

Now if I can only get the last 8 hours of my life back... : (

Thank you for all of your help!!!

UPDATE: This didn't work afterall! See final resolution 8 posts below, #710...

Last edited:
Ah. Didn't even think about suggesting "forget the network". Doh. Glad you got it fixed. For what it's worth, it was originally your IP that caused the problem. LoL

SOLVED:
Upon arriving home, I re-connected to my home network, typed in the password again, and walla - no more Chinese weather or time!!!

I guess that by pairing to another router it forced out the bad cache from my initial pairing with my new router? Who knows, but all I can say is that it worked!

Now if I can only get the last 8 hours of my life back... : (

Thank you for all of your help!!!

So, after all this, have you become a Chinese weather fan? You've gotten me interested *smile*.

68 and Mostly Cloudy in Suzhou!

Ahhhhh!!!! After enjoying the Costa Mesa forecast for the last 30 minutes, the Suzhou forecast came back just now. I had turned off WiFi, then re-enabled it. That seemed all that need be done to anger the Chinese weather gods!

I don't know what else to do. I may have to wipe this phone tonight. My wife's HTC, paired with the same router, has never seen a hint of Chinese weather / timezone.

What did I do to deserve such a horrible plague?

Ahhhhh!!!! After enjoying the Costa Mesa forecast for the last 30 minutes, the Suzhou forecast came back just now. I had turned off WiFi, then re-enabled it. That seemed all that need be done to anger the Chinese weather gods!

I don't know what else to do. I may have to wipe this phone tonight. My wife's HTC, paired with the same router, has never seen a hint of Chinese weather / timezone.

What did I do to deserve such a horrible plague?

RMA'd first unit, second unit has same issues. Spent another couple of hours on the phone with ASUS tech support. Tried .108 firmware also, changed NTP server, etc...

I think it's time to try Tomato.

no , everything plays well here from 60feet through 3 walls on both bands . . what settings you using wmm applied ? Did you clear settings (hard reset ) from 108 and set yp 112 fresh or ise old settings ?

Yes. I did erase nvram and reentered all my settings. Also I noticed that one of my TV that was using dlink wifi game adapter for streaming netflix via guest2 was also having issues connecting. After fiddling with it for awhile with no success I reverted back to 108 firmware and everything is fine. I think there are some issues with 112 firmware.

So, after all this, have you become a Chinese weather fan? You've gotten me interested *smile*.

FINAL(?) SOLUTION: After returning two units, I apparently finally found one that was not hardwired with a Chinese "locale setting." The firmware version is the same, so I'm not sure what happened over there in Suzhou, but apparently someone has been playing with the secret sauce.

Things that I did differently on the 3rd unit worth noting however:

- Performed hard reset right out of the box.
- I did NOT change the timezone setting (didn't seem to do anything anyway).
- Rebooted after entering all of the dashboard settings.
- Waited a while before pairing my phone.

I have no idea which, if any of these items fixed the Chinese weather/time issue but it has been running for the last couple of hours now without a hiccup. I've even tempted fate by toggling the Wi-Fi on and off and refreshing the weather ap. Maybe the Chinese weather gods feel that I've made my ammends, or maybe this third unit just has the special sauce...?

Regardless, I'm calling this case closed (until further notice? I hope not).

Thank you all for your help!!!

Last edited:
Asus rt-n66u

Just found this sweet dashboard simulator for the RT-N66U. It's good for users that are on the fence about buying the device. The firmware version is a little dated, but it's close to what you see.

Check it out: http://service.asus.com/demoui/RT-N66U/RT-N66U/RT-N66U/192.168.1.1/index.html

By the way, even though I do wish that I had the last day of my life back (with the Suzhou timezone BS problem), I LOVE this router. It runs so well, it (almost) makes it all worth it!

Actually, 64GB microSDXC cards are currently the largest available, with 128GB cards announced for the near future. But I don't know if microSDXC is supported, or microSDHC (32GB max), or only microSD (4GB max). Has anyone tried a larger capacity card with this router?

Well, here's the official response from ASUS Wireless Support:

Thank you for contacting ASUS wireless support. The MicroSD slot has been tested with 32GB class 4 and 10 cards. Please note that, with our firmware, the only application for the SD card slot is extra storage.

Opening up the unit will void the warranty. :eek:

Hello everyone, first post here :)

Just wanted to check whether the "Enable Manual Assignment?" works for everyone? It can be found under Advanced--->LAN--->DHCP Server in the normal Asus firmware. Tried it on .112 and now .116 and neither of them let me select that option and then add some of my devices and then manually assign them an IP Address. I click on yes and when I press Apply nothing seems to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.