What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.24 BETA 4 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to delay the release of a new beta for a few days. I want to port a more recent version of Miniupnpd rather than just patch that specific bug (the recv issue), and it might take me a few days as my time will be more limited over the next few days.

In the mean time, I'm interested in feedback on the wireless drivers of Beta 3, since this is a newer version than 246/260 (and that the 220 version I was using). What little feedback I got so far was positive. However, I've experienced a few stalls under 5G on my AC66U personally (my ssh session would stall for 3-5 seconds), so I might revert the AC66U driver to an older version but keep the newer N66U one if I get no negative feedback on it.

And for those who haven't been keeping an eye on Github, the "big" thing that will appear in the next release (after 270.24) will be NFS support. I already have it working here on a development branch, and a quick timed read test allowed me to push it at 17 MB/s over NFS UDP - a bit faster than SMB :)

In the mean time, I'm interested in feedback on the wireless drivers of Beta 3, since this is a newer version than 246/260 (and that the 220 version I was using). What little feedback I got so far was positive. However, I've experienced a few stalls under 5G on my AC66U personally (my ssh session would stall for 3-5 seconds), so I might revert the AC66U driver to an older version but keep the newer N66U one if I get no negative feedback on it.

I have a RT-N66U. (all N-connections)
Using 5G streaming media from usb hdd to my TV. No issues so far.
Using 2.4G streaming video at same time to my laptop has some issues; stalling and bad quality (but this issue I had before as well), so no difference, but also no improvement.

Using 2.4G, I use Cisco VPN client and Cisco VOIP having long conference calls > 1 hour for my work. Previous versions when I was talking it could stall for 3-4 seconds, where I still could hear the others talking, but they did not hear me. With QoS on I could reduce the problems, but seems with this version problem has been solved.
At least in last 3 days (total 8-10 hours of calls), no issues ... so please do not revert back to older version :D

miniupnpd broken pipe error

Using RT-AC66U with beta 3. After an uptime of 2 days, I'm seeing the following error.

Feb 8 02:56:36 miniupnpd[1029]: send(res_buf): Broken pipe

no space left on device

After the broken pipe error, I now have this one again.

Feb 8 03:20:12 dnsmasq-dhcp[667]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)

And for those who haven't been ke feedback eping an eye on Github, the "big" thing that will appear in the next release (after 270.24) will be NFS support. I already have it working here on a development branch, and a quick timed read test allowed me to push it at 17 MB/s over NFS UDP - a bit faster than SMB :)

... using which nfs version?

GH

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-I717D avec Tapatalk

NFS a bit more info?

Thanks again for all your hard work Merlin.

Have a question about this:

"....will be NFS support."

I'm sorry but I get a bit lost when trying to connect the dots to how stuff impacts the way my network works. Also I may not use exactly the right term.

I currently have an PIVOS AIOS media server. 2 2TB NAS "servers" but really just NAS Storage. The AIOS is an NFS server and uses NFS to create shares and in doing so is how it builds the video juke box, etc.

Do you know what "support" actually means in terms of the implementation?

How does it work in a system when the router supports NFS and devices in the network support NFS?

As it is I've turned off pert near everything in the NAS's. Not only do I just want the NAS storage to just be dumb simple storage devices, if I turn on their media servers services the AIOS media server is impacted negatively. If I understand correctly too many devices trying to do the same thing creates problems for them all. The AIOS does all the sorting and heavy lifting. All other devices are act as storage.

If you can is it possible to explain what this will look like? How it will work in a system like mine?

Does it impact all devices on the network, any storage devices hung off the USB port, etc.?

There is nothing unique about my setup as lots of folks have very similar network systems in their homes.

Wifi Drivers on AC66U

Aparently I have no problems with beta 3 on wireless, they appear to be fast, no drops, using both frequencies.

... using which nfs version?

GH

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-I717D avec Tapatalk

Either v3 or v4, I didn't specify it when I ran the test from my Ubuntu HTPC.

Thanks again for all your hard work Merlin.

Have a question about this:

"....will be NFS support."

I'm sorry but I get a bit lost when trying to connect the dots to how stuff impacts the way my network works. Also I may not use exactly the right term.

I currently have an PIVOS AIOS media server. 2 2TB NAS "servers" but really just NAS Storage. The AIOS is an NFS server and uses NFS to create shares and in doing so is how it builds the video juke box, etc.

Do you know what "support" actually means in terms of the implementation?

NFS is a protocol that lets you share files from a remote server. In it similar to Windows File Sharing AKA SMB aka CIFS AKA Samba: you export a directory on the server, and you mount it on the client.

Personally I mostly use it between Linux servers for my customers. For example, I have a customer with a QNAP NAS for their files, and a Linux server for Email. The Linux server will access a share called Backup on the NAS through an NFS mount (as this is more efficient than SMB), so it can put nightly backups of the Email databases into the NAS, where it's being backed up to an external eSata HDD.

It will mostly be of use if someone runs Linux on his PC, and he wants a faster access to files stored on a USB disk connected to the router. It won't have any real use for people who have a NAS, unless for some reason they wanted their NAS to be able to access a USB disk plugged on their router. So in your case, NFS support on the router won't make any difference at all.

Beta 3 2.4g and 5ghz on ac router major improvement... My 9 db antennas should be here today;-)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

... It won't have any real use for people who have a NAS, unless for some reason they wanted their NAS to be able to access a USB disk plugged on their router. So in your case, NFS support on the router won't make any difference at all.

Could it be usefull to make direct copies between NAS and a USB disk plugged on the router ?

GH

I use network share between my desktop, my laptop and my HTPC on a daily basis without any problem. I haven't had any other report of that problem either, so there isn't much else that I can investigate - all my tests come up as negative here. Without any further information, I have to conclude that something must be configured differently on your environment.

- Are you able to ping the server?
- Are you accessing the server through its name or its IP? Try both.
- If you configure a share open to everyone, is it accessible?
- What is the actual error message that you get? Which steps are you taking to reproduce the problem?
- Do you have any special firewall rules on the router? Any special script modifying either the iptables or ebtables?
- Is the issue still there when accessing from a wired computer to the wired NAS?

Hello Merlin,
here are some answers:
- Yes I can ping the server
- I am accessing the server via the IP (192.168.1.111)
- not sure about the question. I think yes.
- The actual error is: "Network Error: Windows cannot access \\DISKSTATION. Check the spelling of the name. To try to identify and resolve network problems click Diagnose"
- if I click Diagnose, Windows 7 says: "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DISKSTATION) is not responding."
- The steps are quite simple: I open the resource browser, click over "Map Network Drive", and when I click onto the DISKSTATION I have the error pop-up mentioned above.
- I do not have special rules onto the firewall
- I am using no scripts
- I have the problem with WiFi and cabled connection.

Router: ASUS RT-N66U
NAS: Synology DS213+

I will continue with the tests ... hope these information will help you.

Hello Merlin,
here are some answers:
- Yes I can ping the server
- I am accessing the server via the IP (192.168.1.111)
- not sure about the question. I think yes.
- The actual error is: "Network Error: Windows cannot access \\DISKSTATION. Check the spelling of the name. To try to identify and resolve network problems click Diagnose"
- if I click Diagnose, Windows 7 says: "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DISKSTATION) is not responding."
- The steps are quite simple: I open the resource browser, click over "Map Network Drive", and when I click onto the DISKSTATION I have the error pop-up mentioned above.
- I do not have special rules onto the firewall
- I am using no scripts
- I have the problem with WiFi and cabled connection.

Router: ASUS RT-N66U
NAS: Synology DS213+

I will continue with the tests ... hope these information will help you.

UPDATE: looks like that after a "Factory Defaults" reset everything is working fine.

Last edited:
Hello there!

I'm using Asuswrt Merlin Build, and it's awesome! :D

I don't know if this is the place to make suggestions to RMerlin, if not, please just let me know.

I'm wondering if it's possible to show the name of the devices, when you go to "Network Map" and click on the "Clients" and it shows the connected devices.

I mean... The iPhones, iPads and some other devices already shows corretly, but other devices (like routers, ps3, xbox 360, printers) are showed with the mac address.

In my case, most of the IP addresses are fixed with the Mac, and there's a name in the rule.

Perhaps showing the rule name of the DHCP list?

Thanks a lot!

Hello there!
I'm wondering if it's possible to show the name of the devices, when you go to "Network Map" and click on the "Clients" and it shows the connected devices.

I mean... The iPhones, iPads and some other devices already shows corretly, but other devices (like routers, ps3, xbox 360, printers) are showed with the mac address.
Thanks a lot!

You can do it by manually Assigning IP around the DHCP list(list limit:32).
Please see the attached. After doing that, you should see what you expect in the MAP list.

GH

Attachments

• dhcpNames.jpg
    dhcpNames.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 330
While trying to work out why my internet is running slowly I just found my General Log full of the following messages:

Feb 8 18:47:07 bcrelay[589]: ignored ENOBUFS from sendto(), temporary shortage of buffer memory

There was a very large backup running to my hard disk (attached to the router) of maybe 200Gb and my memory stats show the following:

Memory
Total 234.25 MB
Free 63.41 MB
Buffers 0.27 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support Us - Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!