What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

-em

OK, I did some tests with my RT-N66U.
I come from 374.36_beta1-sdk5 and tested 374.38_1-em and 374.38_1

The .38_1 seems to give close to the same 2.4GHz signal strength compared to my previous sdk5 firmware.
However the .38_1-em gives a better signal strength compared to the other two.
Signal strength with -em seems also more stable, I mean less fluctuation.

My "problem PC" must pass two concrete floors to get to the router.
Using inSSIDer 2.1 on 2.4GHz om my "problem PC":
- sdk5: -67 RSSI
- .38_1: -69 RSSI
- .38_1-em: -65 RSSI

Most important, throughput went up with the -em version!
speedtest.net tests on the same WAN server close to me:

- .38_1: 2 Mbps up, 3 Mbps down (Forgot to test with sdk5, but I remember it to be similar.)
- .38_1-em: 13 Mbps up, 8 Mbps down

Needless to say I'm very happy with the -em version and don't need the sdk5 anymore.
I stick with the -em for now and see if the family comes up with problems or not.
(I didn't test 5GHz WiFi.)

One other thing I noticed is the missing "Start with WAN" Yes - No option on my "Basic Config" section for the OpenVPN server.
Is that intentional?

Last edited:
First, thanks RMerlin for your work on custom firmwares!

I have the same problem here, with RT-AC66U on 38_1. the 5ghz band seems to be broken when you hardreboot the router. Everything is fine when you use the reboot on the webinterface, after rebooting you can connect to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

I've tried resetting to factory defaults and fully reconfigure with no chance, but changing any settings on the 5ghz band and applying make it work again. Not a big problem if you don't have any blackouts. :)

Flashing back to 35_4 resolve the issue for now...

I was able to connect to the 5ghz band from two devices. I haven't tested a third yet as that device is tied up doing something. My macbook air has had issues for a long time with the 5ghz band, likely due to the channel as it never even sees the 5ghz AP. this is the first time the issue has shown up on my phone which had no issue up until this firmware. The odd thing about it is that my phone can see the AP.

Merlin, any advice?

374.38 is working really well , gained 1-3 MBPS on transfer rate using 5 ghz band , this with AC-66 . Have not had any disconnects from modem like on previous builds 374.35.4 . . So far 48 hours with no drops , previous would drop every 3 - 6 hours .

Merlin, I know you can't fix the DLNA server issue. But I dunno if Asus actively read's the forums here. So do you think next time you have a chat with one of them, you can mention people are reporting issue's with the DLNA Server in recent firmware build's?

That's all I can ask from you, and for now people with this issue I recommend using a older firmware build if this is a needed thing on your network. Today, I plan to run the .38_1em build again connecting my WDTV threw the Network Share option, and see if this work's good for a work around for me.

Merlin, I know you can't fix the DLNA server issue. But I dunno if Asus actively read's the forums here. So do you think next time you have a chat with one of them, you can mention people are reporting issue's with the DLNA Server in recent firmware build's?
+1 to that

One other thing I noticed is the missing "Start with WAN" Yes - No option on my "Basic Config" section for the OpenVPN server.
Is that intentional?

Yes. That functionality was moved to the VPN Server page, to better integrate with Asus's own changes. If you enable a server instance on that page, it will make it start automatically with WAN.

BTW, I finally got a 7260 for my laptop last week. I had been delaying getting one because the local sellers were either charging over 10$ shipping for a 30$ card, or were too clueless to confirm whether they actually had the N or the AC variant for sale. :rolleyes: I grabbed one at the same time as other gears during the Holidays, so it saved me on the shipping cost. Seems to work pretty well so far with the latest drivers from Intel's site. Throughput is about identical to what I was getting from the USB-AC56 I was previously using for 802.11ac tests.

I still got drops in connection with the intel 16.6.0.8 driver in combination with the 38_1 but today i noticed an update of my WLAN driver from MS. it is now on 16.6.2.1. This one is not to be found on the intel site.
Searching the internet iám more convinced that Windows 8.1 and the AC7260 driver are the problem and not the ASUS AC68U or AC66U (FYI)

Yes. That functionality was moved to the VPN Server page, to better integrate with Asus's own changes. If you enable a server instance on that page, it will make it start automatically with WAN.

Thx, no radio button on that page, but I understand it's integrated with the on/off slider.

On more question, on the VPN details pane I see a "Respond to DNS" Yes/No option.
I don't recall that from a previous version.
Is that to force VPN clients to use DNS settings from the RT-N66U?

-em is good!!

I am seeing good results on my RT-N66U. I came from 374.36_beta1-sdk5 to 374.38_1-em. Signal strength is equivalent to the -sdk5 firmwares. Throughput has improved with the -em version. I am getting near wired speeds on most of my wireless devices (laptop, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, and EA-N66). It is best firmware released to date for the RT-N66U. I did try version 374.38_1. Overall signal strength was better with the -em firmware. Good job, Merlin.

Thx, no radio button on that page, but I understand it's integrated with the on/off slider.

On more question, on the VPN details pane I see a "Respond to DNS" Yes/No option.
I don't recall that from a previous version.
Is that to force VPN clients to use DNS settings from the RT-N66U?

No, that option has always been there. It tells dnsmasq to listen to DNS queries sent over the OpenVPN interface.

No, that option has always been there. It tells dnsmasq to listen to DNS queries sent over the OpenVPN interface.

Thx, I guess I always have that off.
When I switched it on the extra line "Advertise DNS to clients" Yes/No pops up.
Probably make me think, hey is that new?!

I leave it off for now, seems to work for me.

Edit: No it's different, I have "Respond to DNS" Yes but the line "Advertise DNS to clients" didn't show.
Then I switched "Respond to DNS" Yes to No and to Yes again without apply.
Then you see the extra line "Advertise DNS to clients" pop up.
Hmmm...

Edit2: Yes, if you hit Apply the line "Advertise DNS to clients" disappears, that doesn't look OK to me.

Last edited:
First, thanks RMerlin for your work on custom firmwares!

I have the same problem here, with RT-AC66U on 38_1. the 5ghz band seems to be broken when you hardreboot the router. Everything is fine when you use the reboot on the webinterface, after rebooting you can connect to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

I've tried resetting to factory defaults and fully reconfigure with no chance, but changing any settings on the 5ghz band and applying make it work again. Not a big problem if you don't have any blackouts. :)

Flashing back to 35_4 resolve the issue for now...

I tried to reproduce this with my Ac66u and 38_1. Hard rebooted three times and successfully connected to 5GHz everytime. I suggest you update the drivers on your wireless adaptor.

I'm not getting IPV6.

Could you elaborate a little more....

Asus did make a lot of changes related to IPv6 in their recent releases. Mostly it seems they are attempting to better handle DNS server delegation from the ISP. It's possible they messed something up.

IPv6 is working just fine for me on Comcast using Native with DHCP-PD.

ipv6 is broken for certain configurations with 38_1, Merlin addressed this earlier in this thread. A fix is due shortly.

Flash from 374.36_beta1-sdk5 to 374.38_1-em, now my 2.4GHz will not go above 144Mbps. Anyone one else have a similar issue?

Flash from 374.36_beta1-sdk5 to 374.38_1-em, now my 2.4GHz will not go above 144Mbps. Anyone one else have a similar issue?

not that this is recommended, but is the channel width set to auto or 40mhz?

Could you elaborate a little more....

Asus did make a lot of changes related to IPv6 in their recent releases. Mostly it seems they are attempting to better handle DNS server delegation from the ISP. It's possible they messed something up.

IPv6 is working just fine for me on Comcast using Native with DHCP-PD.

Same here ipv6 works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk