What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.8_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what the log file you posted showed.

Do you have 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode enabled for the 2.4GHz band? If so disable that (assuming none of your 2.4GHz clients use ax) and see if the messages disappear.

Post the new log file that shows that.
At the moment everything is OK, whatever. I'll be watching this for 24 hours to see if it comes back.

Just updated thank you.

Just updated. LAN DNS seems to have stopped functioning. If I SSH to the router using its IP, I can run conmon, spdMerlin, etc. without an issue. I can even nslookup DNS names and everything works fine. For some reason, the LAN doesn't seem to be handling DNS anymore. I'm not sure where to begin looking into this issue.

Of note, the upgrade was strange. I used Firefox and the normal progress bar did not appear, but the router rebooted as if it had been updated. That's when the DNS issues began. After that, I tried again by going to the router WebUI via its IP, but still on Firefox. Same thing happened. In both instances, the WebUI indicated it still hadn't applied the update. Finally, I tried Chrome and got the router to actually update, but the DNS issues persist.

The update loaded as usual, via a dirty update.
So far, all is well...

Look in the system log or Diversion log for dnsmasq entries.
I attempted the tried and true method of "turning it off and on again" but this time I left it off for a few minutes while I made this post and searched the forums. When I turned it back on it started working. No idea why, but at least it is working. I will check those if it happens again. Thank you.

No idea why, but at least it is working. I will check those if it happens again
The logs should still be there.
Code:
grep -B10 "FAILED to start up" /jffs/syslog.log* /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log*

Yeah, I'm also experiencing the DNS issues in this release, browsing is it a snails pace too.

Previous release was spot on so I'll downgrade back to that till this release is fixed.

The logs should still be there.
Code:
grep -B10 "FAILED to start up" /jffs/syslog.log* /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log*
Is there another command?
1722527124320.png

Yeah, I'm also experiencing the DNS issues in this release, browsing is it a snails pace too.

Previous release was spot on so I'll downgrade back to that till this release is fixed.
I found that I had to shutdown, wait a few minutes, power on, and then wait a few more minutes for it to start working. I couldn't even ping the router for well over a minute after turning it on and letting the WiFi settle.

Nothing to fix. 388.2 is final. Merlin i am guessing will wait for new GPL code before even bothering with more 388.x builds.

I found that I had to shutdown, wait a few minutes, power on, and then wait a few more minutes for it to start working. I couldn't even ping the router for well over a minute after turning it on and letting the WiFi settle.
I've just stuck 388.8 back on. Should just work and not have to jump through hoops.

Clearly an issue if people are reporting the same issue.. 🤷‍♂️

If folks insist on dirty upgrades (and I know many of you do), you takes your chances.

I suspect a goodly portion of the wonkiness can be attributed to this bad habit. I get that ppl want it to work given the convenience, but fact is, dirty upgrades are always a roll of the dice.

When all else fails, do a factory reset and manually reconfigure. Is it a PITA? You bet. But whenever you do a dirty upgrade, you're working from an UNKNOWN state, making it incredibly difficult to diagnose problems. Esp.. if you're also running numerous add-ons. It's a minor miracle things work as well as they do!

JMTC

Last edited:
Oh, you run scribe. No idea where you should look then, sorry. Doesn’t scribe make log management easier?
I didn't see any "FAILED to start" in the messages log I downloaded from Scribe. Here is everything with FAILED:
1722528803795.png

If folks insist on dirty upgrades (and I know many of you do), you takes your chances.

I suspect a goodly portion of the wonkiness can be attributed to this bad habit. I get that ppl want it to work give the convenience, but fact is, dirty upgrades are always a roll of the dice.

When all else fails, do a factory reset and manually reconfigure. Is it a PITA? You bet. But whenever you do a dirty upgrade, you're working from an UNKNOWN state, making it incredibly difficult to diagnose problems. Esp.. if you're also running numerous add-ons. It's a minor miracle things work as well as they do!

JMTC
I plan to do a clean upgrade in a few weeks. It's been far too long since my last one.

Are you sure ?

2.4ghz and guest network have absolutely different names.

Secondly: when I turn both off it was still there so I think it must be a 5ghz
Possibly a smartwatch switching between 2.4 & 5Ghz due to weak signal...

Dirty upgrade performed more than 2 hours ago on my GT-AX6000 from 3004-388-8_0. No issues observed so far.

Thanks Éric.

Reactions: MDM
Zero changes related to DNS in this release. It's almost entirely related to VPN.

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~/dev/amng$ git log --oneline 3004.388.8..3004.388.8_2
d85c64f682 (HEAD -> 3004.388, tag: 3004.388.8_2, origin/3004.388) Bumped revision to 3004.388.8_2
69bcb235af Updated documentation
d63ddde8ca Merge branch 'master' into 3004.388
b6ba0d87f1 (origin/master, origin/HEAD, master) shared: skip \r while importing a DOS-formatted Wireguard config file
4b1ec7e937 shared: support importing multiple AllowedIPs, DNS or Address instances from wireguard config file
d7cf720260 httpd: use correct FQDN for certificate SAN when using Namecheap DDNS
2ba89afe70 openvpn: updated to 2.6.12
8b49d97756 Updated documentation
beb86adc0e rc: add missing FW update support flag for RT-AX58U
908dbf3334 libovpn: don't specify the interface when creating a rule for All or None routing policies (like c16e25979a085d71627baeb1971096fc75a4733d from the 3006 branch)
f5d511aa7e Bumped revision to 3004.388.8_1

Troubleshoot your setup by starting with the syslog.

Status
Not open for further replies.