What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 3006.102.1 Beta is now available for WIfi 7 devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MACs are the same in both the client list and the wireless log.

So, I'm confused now.
MLO/Wifi 7 is the difference there.

No MLO here.
WiFi 7 yes.

It looks like I'll have to bone up on this.
Not using it does not mean the phone doesn't change behaviour whenever a Wifi 7 is connected to.

Not using it does not mean the phone doesn't change behaviour whenever a Wifi 7 is connected to.

In simple terms, it looks like the behavior is to add one to the final octet when making a connection to a WiFi 7 host.
I'd ask why this was thought to be good, but then I'd really be confused.
Thanks to you and @dave14305

Because of this and that, I've taken the 2.4 band out of MLO (not active here anyway), smart connect, anything to do with the other bands. Also set the security to WPA2 Personal. That took care of all my IoT devices. Now everything is happy for the moment.

Added the trusty AX86U as an AIMesh node via Ethernet. Didn't take until I set Ethernet priority failed 3 times. Yes, it was reset before trying.

Just some notes on what was needed moving from the AX86 to the BE98 Pro

I'm still looking for feedback regarding VPN (especially tied to a Guest Network), and the new killswitch implementation.

I'm still looking for feedback regarding VPN (especially tied to a Guest Network), and the new killswitch implementation.
I've been testing VPN tied to Guest Network, Wireguard client for streaming services, for 3 devices, and it is working good, about killswitch implementation, haven't tested, do you need something specific? VPN Director is honoring devices, connected to this Guest Network VPN WG as expected.

do you need something specific?
See what happens if you stop the VPN client for instance, how are connect devices reacting? Note that if that device has IPv6 connectivity, then that would bypass the killswitch (just like IPv6 would bypass the VPN altogether). Nothing that can be done about that, as clients use ephemeral IPv6 addresses.

@RMerlin... with thanks to @ExtremeFiretop for purchasing a BE98_Pro to help with script testing... In testing BACKUPMON, it was found that the 3006 version is having issues with the "mount" command, as well as the 'cifs' folder and accompanying cifs.ko file seems to be missing. I knew you mentioned that you were looking at possibly phasing out NFS, but it would seem that CIFS is also a bit crippled at this point. Is this by design, or are you still planning on merging in this functionality down the road? If this is by design, what other network protocols/methods would you recommend for copying content to/from the router?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Screenshots to accompany the post:

Snag_22901b2c.png

Snag_22904cea.png

1718805162247.png

1718805197764.png

@RMerlin... with thanks to @ExtremeFiretop for purchasing a BE98_Pro to help with script testing... In testing BACKUPMON, it was found that the 3006 version is having issues with the "mount" command, as well as the 'cifs' folder and accompanying cifs.ko file seems to be missing. I knew you mentioned that you were looking at possibly phasing out NFS, but it would seem that CIFS is also a bit crippled at this point. Is this by design, or are you still planning on merging in this functionality down the road? If this is by design, what other network protocols/methods would you recommend for copying content to/from the router?

Thanks in advance!
I'll have to check. I reapplied my kernel changes to the new kernel, but it's possible that the default for the cifs module was different and would need to be manually enabled.

See what happens if you stop the VPN client for instance, how are connect devices reacting? Note that if that device has IPv6 connectivity, then that would bypass the killswitch (just like IPv6 would bypass the VPN altogether). Nothing that can be done about that, as clients use ephemeral IPv6 addresses.
Ok so enabled Killswitch on the vpn client, then disable vpn client, and check the three devices behavior... results in nothing happened, the 3 devices still continue streaming with no change, i have IPv6 disabled in the admin UI though, so seems like no effect in clients connected.

One issue i would like to report is that after some days / weeks, my 5G network (i dont have smart connect enabled) for some reason my devices tells me "wrong passsword" and never connect to it, as a workaround i need to acces admin UI update the 5GHz band password, and then switch it back to what it was previously and things goes back to normal, but strange issue to me.

This happened me twice, one with the stock firmware (latest one) and now with beta1, just as a heads up.

Ok so enabled Killswitch on the vpn client, then disable vpn client, and check the three devices behavior... results in nothing happened, the 3 devices still continue streaming with no change, i have IPv6 disabled in the admin UI though, so seems like no effect in clients connected.
Check with "ip rule show" over SSH, make sure there are "prohibit" rules in place for all clients configured through VPN Director.

One issue i would like to report is that after some days / weeks, my 5G network (i dont have smart connect enabled) for some reason my devices tells me "wrong passsword" and never connect to it, as a workaround i need to acces admin UI update the 5GHz band password, and then switch it back to what it was previously and things goes back to normal, but strange issue to me.
Everything related to wifi is outside of my control. If you have a very complex password containing various symbols, try to stick to alphanumeric, and with a max of 32 characters.

I'll have to check. I reapplied my kernel changes to the new kernel, but it's possible that the default for the cifs module was different and would need to be manually enabled.
All my kernel option customizations are currently missing on 5.04be, they probably got lost during my git branch rewrite last month. So, no CIFS or Cake.

I also noticed that CIFS wasn't working either on bcm4912 devices, probably due to CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD4 being disabled - it's required by the CIFS module. I will have to test with that module enabled.

All my kernel option customizations are currently missing on 5.04be, they probably got lost during my git branch rewrite last month. So, no CIFS or Cake.

I also noticed that CIFS wasn't working either on bcm4912 devices, probably due to CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD4 being disabled - it's required by the CIFS module. I will have to test with that module enabled.
LOL yeah, we were looking for md4.ko as well, and couldn't find it. But didn't know whether it was needed or not, since not all routers seem to need it. ;)

LOL yeah, we were looking for md4.ko as well, and couldn't find it. But didn't know whether it was needed or not, since not all routers seem to need it. ;)
I enable MD4 built-in rather than as a module.

To check availability on HND (kernel 4.1 or newer):

Code:
zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD4

Reading this thread has been educational. I've stepped away from Merlin for 4 years due to hardware constraints, but now I got a GT-BE98 (non-Pro), and an internet search for Merlin support brought me back to this forum.

Highlights, if I understand correctly:
  • Pro versions are Illegal in Europe and non-Pro versions are Illegal in North America.
  • They don't share the same firmware
  • Gnuton handles the European version
  • Which is not available yet
I'm looking forward to this, but it seems I can't beta test this one. I believe this continental frequency mismatch is new to me since last time I bought Asus hardware. Where can I track and follow Gnuton releases?
That would be because it's not available yet.

1) That device would be illegal in Canada, and most likely would be seized at the border. That is why Asus and I jointly decided that I would support the GT-BE98_PRO, while Gnuton would support the GT-BE98.
2) I cannot support every single model on my own. Gnuton has been supporting multiple models for many years by now.

Reactions: JDB
Is hardware acceleration intentionally disabled? I couldn't figure out why WAN speeds were so low — I was lucky to see 600 Mbps/30 Mbps on a 1 Gbps/35 Mbps connection. Speeds returned to normal after enabling hardware acceleration:
Code:
fc enable
runner enable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online