What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3006.102.1 is now available for Wifi 7 devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Staff member
Asuswrt-Merlin 3006.102.1 is now available, for the RT-BE96U and GT-BE98_PRO.

This is the initial release of Asuswrt-Merlin based on
the 3006 codebase. Only a few specific models are
currently available, more will be added over time as
Asus progressively migrates devices to the new codebase.

3006 introduces a number of major features, these will not
be listed - please review Asus' own documentation on the
new features added in 3006 (AKA Asuswrt 5.0). The two most
notable ones are VLAN and Guest Network Pro (also called
Self-Defined Networks, or SDN), both of which are supported
in Asuswrt-Merlin.

This initial 3006.102.xx release also includes a number of
potentially breaking changes over 3004. The most relevant
ones will be listed below.

Note that while Asus uses VPNFusion, Asuswrt-Merlin still
uses VPNDirector. The integration with Guest Network Pro
had to be re-implemented to work with Asuswrt-Merlin,
which required a few backend changes.

Due to the VPN backend differences, it's strongly recommended
to do a factory default reset after coming from the original
Asus firmware if you used any VPN-related functionality.

Code:
3006.102.1 (28-Jun-2024)

- NEW: Added support for GT-BE98_PRO.
  - NEW: Added support for RT-BE96U.
  - NOTE: Wifi 7 devices don't support NFS (issue with new
          toolchain), QoS classification page (issue with
          TrendMicro BWDPI) or Wifi Radar (not updated by
          Broadcom).
  - NEW: Added dnsmasq-INDEX.conf.add and stubby-INDEX.yml.add,
         which are appended to SDN config files (INDEX = SDN
         index number)
  - NEW: Added dnsmasq-sdn.postconf and stubby-sdn.postconf.
         They take two arguments:
           - path to the config file for that SDN's instance
           - the SDN index number (1 for the first SDN instance)

- NEW: Rewrote VPN killswitch implementation.  The new method
         uses an always present routing rule to prohibit access to
         the main routing table, so it will be active even if the
         user manually stops a client.  Removing the prohibit rule
         requires disabling the killswitch on the webui.
         The rules are also created before WAN goes up, to reduce
         the risks of leaks between WAN going up and VPN connecting.
  - NEW: Added killswitch support for WireGuard clients.
  - UPDATED: Merged with GPL 3.0.0.6.102_34369.
  - UPDATED: Chart.js was upgraded from 2.x to 3.9, to share the
             same version used by Asus.  Any third party addon
             that used it will need to upgrade their charts to
             the new version.
  - UPDATED: wget to 1.24.5.
  - CHANGED: Switched to a different qrcode generation script, to
             share the same script used by Asus.
  - CHANGED: WireGuard and OpenVPN clients use different iproute2
             table IDs, to be in line with Asus's own table IDs.
             The names defined in rt_tables remain unchanged.
  - CHANGED: Implemented support for Wifi 7 and SDN on the
             Wireless Log page.
  - CHANGED: Implemented DNSDirector webui for SDN.
  - CHANGED: Removed stop/start and "Start with WAN" buttons from
             OpenVPN clients.  There is now just a single
             "Enable" option, which will immediately start the
             client when applying changes, and will also start it
             automatically when WAN comes up.  This is to reduce
             confusion, better integrate into SDN, and match how
             WireGuard clients already worked.
  - CHANGED: ipset is now compiled into the kernel rather than as
             modules (to match with Asus)
  - CHANGED: Removed led_disable nvram, we now share the same AllLED
             nvram as used by Asus for the LED button (and AiMesh sync)
  - FIXED: JS error on Wifi 6e/7 models when toggling DDNS.
  - REMOVED: Option dns_local_cache from Tools -> Tweak settings,
             to avoid issues with SDN that run their own
             dnsmasq instances.
  - REMOVED: Wifi Radar was removed (unsupported by Wifi 7 devices,
             and security issues cited by Asus in their own recent
             releases).

Please keep discussions in this thread on the topic of this specific release.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Known issues:
  • Missing various UPnP/IGD settings (Already fixed internally)
  • DNS Director page fails to load or is missing device icons (Already fixed internally)

Last edited:
Updated my GT-BE98 Pro successfully over MerlinAU.
So far everything appears functional with the firmware itself:

1719634664055.png

As for system logs, the only thing of interest so far is is some broadcom driver stuff:
Code:
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: pinctrl-bcmbca ff800554.pinctrl: pin PIN40 already requested by ff803000.led_ctrl:sw_parallel_led_14; cannot claim for ff810000.sdhci
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: pinctrl-bcmbca ff800554.pinctrl: pin-40 (ff810000.sdhci) status -22
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: pinctrl-bcmbca ff800554.pinctrl: could not request pin 40 (PIN40) from group BCMBCA_PINCTRL_GROUP_040  on device pinctrl-bcmbca
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: sdhci-bcm63xx ff810000.sdhci: Error applying setting, reverse things back
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: sdhci-bcm63xx: probe of ff810000.sdhci failed with error -22
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: hidraw: raw HID events driver (C) Jiri Kosina

Code:
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: Enforcer is ready
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: Broadcom BP3 Driver - Platform: TELCO, BPA: v0, BLOB: v1, License Folder: "/rom/etc/licenses", Chip Name: 4916, OUI: E89C25, Release Tag: 5.04L.04p2
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR bp3] traverse_dir_read_files_iteratively,159: Cannot open /etc/licenses directory^[[0m
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR bp3] BP3_SEC_LicenseLoad,626: Failed to load default development license^[[0m
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR bp3] traverse_dir_read_files_iteratively,159: Cannot open /rom/etc/licenses directory^[[0m
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR bp3] BP3_SEC_LicenseLoad,631: Failed to load licenses from storage^[[0m
Jun 28 23:44:15 kernel: BP3 status - provisioned

Upgraded for latest asus stock firmware. Did a full reset and reconfigured everything. Running smooth so far! Thanks!

Can this be supported for the non-pro, GT-BE98?
Note what RMerlin states up front in the first post:
Only a few specific models are currently available, more will be added over time as Asus progressively migrates devices to the new codebase.
Only time will tell which routers are subsequently supported once Asus themselves releases GPL's to RMerlin and if he decides to support those additional routers. Best you can do is patiently wait to see what new routers are eventually supported by RMerlin under the 3006.102.x code base.

Also note what is indicated in pinned/tacked read me first before asking a question post for this subforum.
Q: Will you add support for model XYZ?
A: The decision whether or not to support a new model depend on a long list of factors, which may evolve over time. Right now:

- It needs to be Broadcom-based
- It needs to be widely available (not just in two or three countries)
- It needs to have high-end hardware so I don't have to fight with lack of flash or RAM
- It needs to receive frequent enough GPLs so I won't have to regularly skip it due to the GPL being outdated
- I need to have one
- I need to have the time to try supporting it
- I need to have the motivation to try supporting it

Each new model requires its own dedicated support. That means every time I work on a new firmware release, I have to work on each separate model, and I need GPL releases from Asus for each individual model, and I need to merge each of them separately. So that means if I support 10 different routers, then I need to merge in the content of 10 different GPL releases, and these need to be close enough to one another to still be compatible. The more models I support, the harder this is to accomplish, therefore I am VERY conservative regarding adding any new model.

So don't ask if/when a new model will be supported. I cannot speculate about future model support, and until I have working support for a model, I cannot answer that question.

I installed the update from 3006.102.1_beta1 late last night. Everything seems to be working as it should. There was one small hiccup with BACKUPMON being unable to mount CIFS/SMB file shares as a backup destination, but that appears to be pinpointed to the need to add a modprobe cifs command within BACKUPMON. I'm sure that @Viktor Jaep will get to it soon. In the interim, I am forcing the command at boot time.

Thanks, @RMerlin, for another great build, allowing us to move on to Asus' latest WiFi7 implementation while benefiting from your enhanced firmware builds.

Is it possible to add support for the RT-AX88U Pro and RT-AX86U Pro in the next release? Asus migrated both of them to the new codebase.

Is it possible to add support for the RT-AX88U Pro and RT-AX86U Pro in the next release? Asus migrated both of them to the new codebase.
Note what was posted several posts up when someone else asked about other router support. From the very first post of the firmware discussion:
Only a few specific models are currently available, more will be added over time as Asus progressively migrates devices to the new codebase.
Edit to add: And note was was posted in the following thread:
Just to reiterate: don't ask for any ETA on availability, or for support for other models. 3006.102.1 will only support these three models, and we will re-evaluate things after that realease is finalized on any other potential device to support. These must be picked in collaboration with Asus as GPL code and device samples (in the case of new devices) are necessary for each individual model.

Last edited:
3006.102.1 will only support these three models, and we will re-evaluate things after that realease is finalized on any other potential device to support.
That’s exactly why I asked about the two AX models (which, by the way, are not completely new and are already supported by the older Merlin firmware). I mean, version 3006.102.1 has already been released, so it looks like the right time to ask this question.

Note what was posted several posts up when someone else asked about other router support. From the very first post of the firmware discussion:

Edit to add: And note was was posted in the following thread:

RELAX... This is a forum and it's meant for questions to be asked. Jumping on every post and quoting others posts is not your job. Let it go.. Let Merlin answer the question as it directed at him.

Why. It's open source correct. 102.33308 AX88U Pro, 102.34313 AX86U Pro, 102.34791 GT-AX6000. There is code available just saying.

RMerlin, cannot use the standard or officially released firmware provided by ASUS. Instead, he requires the GPL (General Public License) version of the firmware, which includes source code.
Each GPL is model specific as per this post by him: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...derway-for-3-wifi-7-routers.90126/post-908052

Which means he can't use the firmware for one model for another model, he must wait until ASUS provide the GPL for each model before he can start working on those routers. GPL contains precompiled components that are unique to that particular device and are not interchangeable with other models.
He may currently be working on obtaining those GPL's from ASUS. (That may be the better question to ask. if he has requested those GPLs) but until such a time that the GPLs are available to him, the current models are the only supported models which can be added.

TL;DR
Just because the official firmware is available for those models, does not mean he has his hands on the GPL yet for those models.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't get the meaning of your reply. Firmware file is useless. Open source portion only is useless. Asus has to provide GPL for RMerlin with all the proprietary components. Otherwise there is no Asuswrt-Merlin with AiMesh or Trend Micro. There is no Asuswrt-Merlin at all with no Asus support. What they release as support for different routers is unrelated. May only indicate that we are eventually getting something sooner or later.

I only just released 3006.102.1. I am not thinking or planning anything at this time for 102.2, my focus is currently on 386.14 and 388.8.