What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3006.102.1 is now available for Wifi 7 devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You are not alone, many of us are struggling with AiMesh, give ASUS some time to workout the bugs.
I may as well add my expierence here. I'm using a similar setup with AiMesh with a GT-BE98 Pro as the primary running Merlin 3006.102.1

Secondary is a GT-AXE11000 running Merlin 300.4.388.8_beta1 and it only ever connects using 5GHz with the wireless backhaul when I'm not using Ethernet. No matter how close the devices are to each other, and even if I select "6GHz First" from the AiMesh screen. It never respects or even attempts to connect to 6GHz.
Looking at the menu, it never even broadcasts the 6GHz radio on the AXE11000.

View attachment 60124View attachment 60125

Doing the little nvram trick to load the WebUI on the node to checkout the settings manually, I see this setup as the 6Ghz Network SSID:

View attachment 60127

Why is the 6GHz network on the node using the network SSID of the 5GHz network on the primary? it should it not be matching the 6GHz radio? And not the 5GHz radio?
Also noticed the _dwb at the end of the SSID for the wireless backhaul, even though it's set to use WAN currently as seen in the above photos. Trying to save gives me errors about the SSID being too long, even though AiMesh worked with the same SSID previously.

The nvram values on the node show no 6GHz SSID:

View attachment 60128

I tried using WL commands to manually enable the radio and set the SSID which worked, but devices still wont connect to the 6GHz radio.
I have MLO disabled and even tried disabling WiFi 7 on one of the 6GHz radios of the BE98 Pro to "match" the AXE11000's 6GHz radio, still the same issues of the radio not broadcasting and even enabling it with WL commands results in no devices connecting to it.

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 radio on

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 up

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 ssid "My6GHzNetwork"

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 status

Seems to be general issues around AiMesh so far with the 6Ghz radios of AXE models especially.
I've seen lots of reports on the forums of issues as well such as here:

It's early days, I'm hoping with future firmware updates to the older AX/AXE routers AiMesh will stabilize. (Even on the 3004 codebase)
Edit: Funny enough, in comparison, my Gnuton AX92U so far seems to be working fine with it's dual AX 5GHz radios.

Just a friendly FYI to swing back around to this report above.
I managed to get my 6GHz online and some devices connecting and working between the primary router and secondary over AiMesh using the following steps *ON THE NODE*:

Step 1: Run the following command:
Code:
nvram show | grep closed

Step 2. The below nvram values will be set to 1, change to 0 as seen below:

Code:
nvram set wl2.1_closed=0
nvram set wlc2_closed=0

Step 3. Run the following command:

Code:
nvram show | grep _dwb

Step 4. Set the following values as seen below:

(Replace PRIMARYNETWORKSSID with the actual primary network name/SSID)

Code:
nvram set dwb_wlc2_ssid="PRIMARYNETWORKSSID_dwb"
nvram set wsbh_ssid="PRIMARYNETWORKSSID_dwb"
nvram set wl2.1_ssid="PRIMARYNETWORKSSID"

Step 5. save changes to nvram:

Code:
nvram commit

Step 6. Restart Wireless Service:

Code:
service restart_wireless

Step 7. Set the 6GHz SSID

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 ssid "PRIMARYNETWORKSSID"

Step 8. Confirm the Wireless status shows online:

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 status

Step 9. Wait a few minutes... Profit?

1723041003961.png

Last edited:
Corrections made:

Also need to run: wl -i wl2.1 ssid "PRIMARYNETWORKSSID" in my case for some reason.

Doing the little nvram trick to load the WebUI on the node to checkout the settings manually
Can you elaborate on this 'little nvram trick' please and presumably it also works on the Wifi6/6E and not just Wifi7 Routers :) ?

Just a friendly FYI to swing back around to this report above.
I managed to get my 6GHz online and some devices connecting and working between the primary router and secondary over AiMesh using the following steps *ON THE NODE*:

Step 1: Run the following command:
Code:
nvram show | grep closed

Step 2. The below nvram values will be set to 1, change to 0 as seen below:

Code:
nvram set wl2.1_closed=0
nvram set wlc2_closed=0

Step 3. Run the following command:

Code:
nvram show | grep _dwb

Step 4. Set the following values as seen below:

(Replace PRIMARYNETWORKSSID with the actual primary network name/SSID)

Code:

Step 5. save changes to nvram:

Code:
nvram commit

Step 6. Restart Wireless Service:

Code:
service restart_wireless

Step 7. Set the 6GHz SSID

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 ssid "PRIMARYNETWORKSSID"

Step 8. Confirm the Wireless status shows online:

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 status

Step 9. Wait a few minutes... Profit?

View attachment 60798
This concept worked for me as well in order to enable 6 GHz WiFI client connections to my GT-AXE16000 AiMesh node — i use 10 Gbps wired backhaul from my GT-BE98 Pro. Commands were slightly different than above, based on interface name differences:
Code:
   nvram set wl2.1_closed=0
   nvram set wlc3_closed=0

nvram commit

service restart_wireless
Thanks for following through on this, @ExtremeFiretop!

This concept worked for me as well in order to enable 6 GHz WiFI client connections to my GT-AXE16000 AiMesh node — i use 10 Gbps wired backhaul from my GT-BE98 Pro. Commands were slightly different than above, based on interface name differences:
Code:
   nvram set wl2.1_closed=0
   nvram set wlc3_closed=0

nvram commit

service restart_wireless
Thanks for following through on this, @ExtremeFiretop!
Happy to be of assistance! I figured the interfaces might be a bit different depending on the setups.
So good note; make sure to use the commands mentioned get a reference on how it's setup before tinkering with the node.

Can you elaborate on this 'little nvram trick' please and presumably it also works on the Wifi6/6E and not just Wifi7 Routers :) ?

SSH into the node and change this NVRAM variable. No need to commit and be sure to set it back to 1 when you are done as your node will show offline if you leave it set to 0

Code:
nvram set re_mode=0

SSH into the node and change this NVRAM variable. No need to commit and be sure to set it back to 1 when you are done as your node will show offline if you leave it set to 0

Code:
nvram set re_mode=0
Thanks; it’s funny, it appears as a repeater in the WebGUI when you go in after setting that, but finally I can change the name of the node to what I want it to be.

Originally it was RT-AX3000-FA0D or something and I changed it to just RT-AX3000. Hitting Apply made me lose AIMesh but the router still came up at my IP address and I changed the setting back to 1 and mesh came back. Thanks again.

[EDIT] Summarised it all here, including setting a Manual IP of your node to what you want rather than what AIMesh assigns, for future reference.

Last edited: