What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.49 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just upgraded my RT-N66U to 49_4 with the factory-default-->upgrade-->factory-default-->Configure manually workflow.

IPv4 and IPv6 working normally and at comparable speeds. Two hitches:
1) Under the new firmware the modem configures another IPv6 IP for itself; the first address (xxx::1) in the network mask. This address was already taken by my NAS, since the modem cannot be configured manually, I gave the NAS a different address. My ISP is xs4all (Netherlands), the old IPv6 stack was working without problems as well.

2) I expected my Huawei E160G 3G stick not to work and it didn't at first (PADO timeout), but when I rebooted the modem with only the 3G connected, it failed first and then it suddenly succeeded. I have to investigate this further, I think this might be related to signal reception and not the firmware.

Does anyone know how to check 3G signal strength? (the gcom tool is not part of the firmware anymore)

Hello, everyone. This is my first post but have been lurking for quite a while. I have an Asus RT-AC66U router and yesterday I upgraded the firmware from 49_2 to 49_4, right after doing so, both my and my wife's Samsung Galaxy Note 4s will no longer connect to the WiFi. Our laptops and Amazon Fire TV stick connect wirelessly without issues. I tried to reboot the router and forget the wifi connection profile on the phone and reconnect, no joy. The phones see the router and can authenticate but it stalls on "obtaining IP" and goes no further. The wifi on the router is set up for N only and both the 2.4 Ghz and Ghz radios are enabled, set to the same password, and use WPA2. Something in the latest update borked our ability to connect our phones. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Update 1: Reverted the firmware version back to 49_2 and the issue is resolved. Both devices now connect without issue.

Last edited:
Hello, everyone. This is my first post but have been lurking for quite a while. I have an Asus RT-AC66U router and yesterday I upgraded the firmware from 49_2 to 49_4, right after doing so, both my and my wife's Samsung Galaxy Note 4s will no longer connect to the WiFi. Our laptops and Amazon Fire TV stick connect wirelessly without issues. I tried to reboot the router and forget the wifi connection profile on the phone and reconnect, no joy. The phones see the router and can authenticate but it stalls on "obtaining IP" and goes no further. The wifi on the router is set up for N only and both the 2.4 Ghz and Ghz radios are enabled, set to the same password, and use WPA2. Something in the latest update borked our ability to connect our phones. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Update 1: Reverted the firmware version back to 49_2 and the issue is resolved. Both devices now connect without issue.

The only changes between _2 and _4 are in the webui, and one single check in the code to prevent the RT-AC87U from bootlooping, so there's no way anything in 376.49_4 might have been responsible for any wireless issue.

Just updated RT-N66U to 3.0.0.4.376.49_4
picture.php

Just want to verify if it is my router issue that Traffic Manager shows nothing.
picture.php

Thanks in advance!

My Traffic Manager is working normally, also on N66

Any other Traffic manager related settings? I have configured a flash disk for Traffic manager history.

One would have to modify an RT-AC68U CFE with their TM-AC1900's MAC addresses and flash the CFE over the TM-AC1900's. I did it a month ago and it worked perfectly. Not sure, but if someone flashed to merlin on a TM-AC1900 without CFE flashing, then they are still locked on the 667mhz DDR3 (which would be reason to flash to an 800mhz "unlocked" CFE if a person wanted it).

Not true. Flashed it with TM-1900 CFE on it. Runs at 800.

Update 2: I was mistaken, reverting back to the previous firmware did not resolve the issue. Our phones will still not obtain an IP address from the router. I have no idea what could be causing this. I tried different channel and mode settings on 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz and still nothing. As I stated previously, the Fire TV and laptop seems to be connecting without a problem, just not our phones. The only difference between our phones and the other WiFi devices is that our phones are 802.11ac, the others are not. So it must be something with the 5Ghz piece. I'm going to do a factory reset on the router and re-add my static mappings and forwarding settings manually and see what happens.

Update 2: I was mistaken, reverting back to the previous firmware did not resolve the issue. Our phones will still not obtain an IP address from the router. I have no idea what could be causing this. I tried different channel and mode settings on 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz and still nothing. As I stated previously, the Fire TV and laptop seems to be connecting without a problem, just not our phones. The only difference between our phones and the other WiFi devices is that our phones are 802.11ac, the others are not. So it must be something with the 5Ghz piece. I'm going to do a factory reset on the router and re-add my static mappings and forwarding settings manually and see what happens.

iPhones? On the Wireless/Professional tab, try setting the regulation mode to either 802.11d or 802.11d+h

Found another bug nothing to big.

IF you disable wifi mac filters then renable them all the names for each mac address are missing till you reboot the router

Could you clarify what you mean by this? My understanding is Google DNS also provides IPv6 DNS servers:
  • 2001:4860:4860::8888
  • 2001:4860:4860::8844

The filtering services supported by DNSFilter are YandexDNS, OpenDNS, Norton Connect Safe and Comodo Secure DNS. Of these, Yandex is the only one with IPv6 servers. Google's public DNS are just standard resolvers, with no filtering capability, so they aren't relevant.

I'm quite intrigued. I've a port forwarding enable to access my DVR (Video Surveillance) and of course, make's no sense having a profile for an internal IP and another one for external... We've NAT Loopback in place...
The problem is: After some time and still able to open the port. telnet external_ip 37777 but can't get a response.
If I just open it from the outside it works, so it's something related to NAT Loopback.

I had the same behaviour on OFW and latest RMerlin. (AC87U)

If a change something in the Port Forward config and apply, it just work again.

Don't know if this fact changes something but i'm using NAT Acceleration with PPPOE.

Thanks!

After flashing 376.49_4 from 49_2 (ac66u)- all port forwarding rules was lost for some reason, not a serious problem because I have a backup of vts_rulelist. But maybe this info will be useful for someone.
dhcp_staticlist and wollist wasn't lost

Final update: Got home from work (I was troubleshooting the router remotely from work), and noticed my wife's phone did connect...but she had her wifi off, so when I didn't see her phone automatically reconnect to the router, I had assumed her phone was affected as well. I rebooted my phone and I was able to connect to the router again. Strange...and also slightly embarrassing, my apologies for wasting your guys' time.

The filtering services supported by DNSFilter are YandexDNS, OpenDNS, Norton Connect Safe and Comodo Secure DNS. Of these, Yandex is the only one with IPv6 servers. Google's public DNS are just standard resolvers, with no filtering capability, so they aren't relevant.

I'm not sure if this is a router/firmware issue, Comcast (my ISP) issue, or something else...but I tried to set up my RT-AC66U to use Google DNS for IPv4 and IPv6. I was unable to get anything to resolve when I plugged in the Google IPv6 DNS entries into the router. The router is getting an IPv4 and IPv6 address from my ISP as are all the connected computers and I pass the IPv6 test online...however...when I configure the IPv4 DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and the IPv6 DNS servers to 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844, I am then no longer able to resolve any websites. I tried ipconfig /flushdns, rebooting the router and PC, and it still doesn't work. When I go into my computer and disable IPv6 in the network adapter so that I only get an IPv4 address, it fixes the problem...I'm able to resolve websites. When I change the IPv6 DNS setting to automatically retrieve those from the ISP, everything works fine again.

I noticed that after I add the Google IPv6 DNS entries into IPv6 DNS setting in the router, the IPv6 LAN Setting information showing my IPv6 info is missing and the PCs connected to the router no longer show "Internet" next to IPv6 Connectivity in Ethernet Status.

Any ideas?

Final update: Got home from work (I was troubleshooting the router remotely from work), and noticed my wife's phone did connect...but she had her wifi off, so when I didn't see her phone automatically reconnect to the router, I had assumed her phone was affected as well. I rebooted my phone and I was able to connect to the router again. Strange...and also slightly embarrassing, my apologies for wasting your guys' time.

Hi, this is my first post on the forum and I seem to be having a similar problem.
I have an RT-AC68U running 376.49_4. I noticed that some devices, although appearing to connect, actually don't, even though the WAN connection is good (wired access remained okay throughout). The only way I tried to resolve this was to reboot. This allowed devices access again.

Enabling dhcp logging, I've noticed that in the wireless log, under the 5Mhz section, devices are still showing, even though the wireless is switched off on the devices.
In the general log, you will notice that DavesIpad has not got a DHCPRELEASE entry (last entry on the yellow arrow)
Mac addresses ending in :9b and :f3 have the DHCPRELEASE entry, but are still in the wireless log.
These appear to be going eventually - :9b's last entry was at 12:54:02, with the DHCPRELEASE happening at 14:22:16 - about an hour and a half later

I don't know if this has any bearing on the issue of devices appearing to connect but not able to get onto the WAN, but something isn't right. The same happened when I tried to roll back to _2 firmware. I went back to _4 and noticed this.

wireless_log.jpg

generallog.jpg

9b.jpg

Hi, this is my first post on the forum and I seem to be having a similar problem.
I have an RT-AC68U running 376.49_4. I noticed that some devices, although appearing to connect, actually don't, even though the WAN connection is good (wired access remained okay throughout). The only way I tried to resolve this was to reboot. This allowed devices access again.

Enabling dhcp logging, I've noticed that in the wireless log, under the 5Mhz section, devices are still showing, even though the wireless is switched off on the devices.
In the general log, you will notice that DavesIpad has not got a DHCPRELEASE entry (last entry on the yellow arrow)
Mac addresses ending in :9b and :f3 have the DHCPRELEASE entry, but are still in the wireless log.
These appear to be going eventually - :9b's last entry was at 12:54:02, with the DHCPRELEASE happening at 14:22:16 - about an hour and a half later

I don't know if this has any bearing on the issue of devices appearing to connect but not able to get onto the WAN, but something isn't right. The same happened when I tried to roll back to _2 firmware. I went back to _4 and noticed this.

Exactly the problem i am having, along with this:

Dec 31 13:33:58 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

I really hope one of the coding gurus can get to the bottom of this, i only wish i could help!

Regards

I'm quite intrigued. I've a port forwarding enable to access my DVR (Video Surveillance) and of course, make's no sense having a profile for an internal IP and another one for external... We've NAT Loopback in place...
The problem is: After some time and still able to open the port. telnet external_ip 37777 but can't get a response.
If I just open it from the outside it works, so it's something related to NAT Loopback.

I had the same behaviour on OFW and latest RMerlin. (AC87U)

If a change something in the Port Forward config and apply, it just work again.

Don't know if this fact changes something but i'm using NAT Acceleration with PPPOE.

Thanks!

Did more troubleshooting here, back to OFW and them back again to rmerlin. Same problem...

After some time, port forwarding (when accessing from inside - NAT Loopback) stops. Applying again forwarding rules, fixes for some time... and stops again.

This is a bug for me! Anyone else having the same problem?!

Did more troubleshooting here, back to OFW and them back again to rmerlin. Same problem...

After some time, port forwarding (when accessing from inside - NAT Loopback) stops. Applying again forwarding rules, fixes for some time... and stops again.

This is a bug for me! Anyone else having the same problem?!

Try disabling everything related to AiProtection and AiQoS, as the issue could be related to the TrendMicro DPI engine.

Also try by disabling NAT acceleration.

Both are closed source, and beyond my control.