What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.14 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@jgarrigan Maybe remove the mention of "iTunes" from your post at that has nothing to do with your problem as you said you're not using it.

Try removing your custom modifications to minidlna and see if it works then.

@jgarrigan Maybe remove the mention of "iTunes" from your post at that has nothing to do with your problem as you said you're not using it.

Try removing your custom modifications to minidlna and see if it works then.
Thank you for the suggestions.

I changed the title of the post.

It should be noted that for testing, I did enable iTunes.​
The iTunes player in my Windows-based computer could not see it. Both devices are part of the same LAN.​
I reverted the iTunes setting to its previously disabled state.​

Regarding the second suggestion:

I will need to ponder it because experience has proven that putting the database ... on the USB thumb drive, the drive which has entware on it, will significantly reduce the life of the thumb drive.​
The media drive is also a less than desirable option for the database and the log files.​
The current location for the database and the log files is an NFS mounted SSD drive connected to another device.​
I can confirm the "media server" is able to write to the NFS mounted SSD drive. I verified that a few hours ago.​

Last edited:
Dirty upgrade RT-AC1900/AC68U - No issues. THANK YOU!

I will need to ponder it because experience has proven that putting the database ... on the USB thumb drive, the drive which has entware on it, will significantly reduce the life of the thumb drive.

I'm running a media server on RT-AC68U with 386.14 - no issues. If I recall correctly, the 386 branch is still on version 1.2 of minidlna, which has been unchanged for some time.

As others have said, suggest removing minidlna.postconf temporarily and see if it builds a db based only on the items specified in the GUI.

One thing I noticed is that your media_dir line does not define the content type.

I'm running a media server on RT-AC68U with 386.14 - no issues. If I recall correctly, the 386 branch is still on version 1.2 of minidlna, which has been unchanged for some time.

As others have said, suggest removing minidlna.postconf temporarily and see if it builds a db based only on the items specified in the GUI.

One thing I noticed is that your media_dir line does not define the content type.
Thank you for the suggestions. Regarding "removing minidlna.postconf", I am pondering a method that won't stress the USB thumb drive. The thumb drive contains the entware installation.

I forgot an important point, it's in AP mode. To try to solve it i was going back to router mode, renew certificate, and go back to AP mode. (seems no more ssh access problem, only the navigator always warn me of no security, but never possible to not have this)
But strangely anything of this particular folder has been touched. (always the same old files). I don't really know if this folder is (still) used.
No more ssl problem in the admin log with the solution done. (only the warning navigator window)

That indicates most likely an AiMesh node that`s having difficulties connecting. Reset that node and repair it.
strange cause i've no aimesh connexion.
Only still this problem that i don't understand because aimesh is not active (not needed because i've only one ac88u)

after upgrading ac3100 printer would lose connection to wifi multiple times a day. Downgraded back to 386.13. Printer is connected over AES wpa2.

1722376636114.png

Seems stable after 10 days. Couple of wifi drops on 5ghz over mesh units. Note: recent wifi drivers.

I upgraded our personal RT-AC86 and GT-AC2900 from 386.13.2 to 386.14, it's the first time in years an upgrade on these units has gone a bit sideways; the result for the RT-AC86 wins the prize for wonkiest upgrade I've ever experienced, at least in the past 10 years. Both of these routers never have had an issue, all past upgrades were flawless, I don't run any extras, no scripts, no VPN server. After the release of this version, I monitored the forum before decided to install. I checked the file hash, restarted the AC86 then defaulted most of the settings, turned the wifi and VPN off before loading the upgrade and rebooting. Afterwards, it took 5 minutes before it tried but failed to restart. The router won't boot to GUI and won't respond to multiple rescue/recovery attempts with ample time between attempts. I haven't had to resort to this for quite a while, but L&LD's explicit nuclear reset sequence will be the next step.

Several years ago I ordered two RT-AC86s from Amazon during a sale, one for a customer and the other as a spare. There were multiple reports of faulty routers at the time and I return both of those as bad out of the box as they would not reboot or recover, though the replacements Amazon sent were fine. This particular '86 is not one from that time, and until now it has run without any issues, 12-15 hours per day for the past 3 years, powered from an APC UPS battery backup.

The GT-AC2900 is two years old and has only been in service for a year. It's run flawlessly on Merlin as all our routers run for many years. At least this unit has survived this upgrade, so far. There's no logic of reason for both of these units to offer a problem with the upgrade, as I applied the particular FW for each model listing. Not counting the 'Aura' lighting effects. they're AC86s since there's no ROG file in this FW build. This router also ran long during the update, but at least it restarted to the GUI. Since then unlike the '86, It's been running for over a day. The GUI response is sluggish, but the main issue is that it doesn't display data in areas where it should. As always, I reentered all data from scratch, this time it took 2-3 times before it would save properly. Wi-fi and VPN are now running normally but no data shows in the system log nor for the clients on the main/WAN network map area of the first page. By clicking on the 'View List' tab, the 'view all' list is empty; nothing is displayed in the 'Status' area. Clicking on the 'System Status' heading shows a left and right arrow under Status, then by clicking on the arrow then shows an 'Online, Wired and Wireless' heading. Clicking on the left arrow tab displays devices which are connected. Surprisingly, when I turned on all of the Trend Micro options, thought it took some time for the data to display, all of the functions seem to be working as they did prior to the upgrade. This gives me hope that I may be able to save this router, though I'm worried about the '86. I know they don't last forever but these have been babied by comparison to others.

If anyone has noticed any similar wonky behavior, for either the RT-AC86 or RT-AC2900 after this upgrade, and has been able to recover from it, it would be great to hear your experience and if/how you've recovered, as I'm stumped. Many thanks.

just now, my devices of 2.4G could not connect the WIFI. checked on RT-AC86U/386.14, the signal of 2.4g was there and just could not be connected. restarted the router and the devices works well.

This was the first time i met on ASUS routers. I could not tell if it is a bug on firmware, just do the feedback.

I did a factory reset with an initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History. Then, manually setup all of my settings.

The Traffic Analyzer - Statistic page is apparently broken in this release.

Confirming traffic analyzer no longer working after update from 386.13 to 386.14. Only ever shows the last two hours of data usage (update period set to 1 hour) and only a subset of the total data actually used.

Tried resetting traffic data files and changing the traffic file storage location on the USB but, no joy.

Downgraded to 386.13 and everything working perfectly again.

Seems like an issue upstream and not limited to 386 series firmware.

In my opinion the best setting for Trend Micro related features is Disabled. Not because of data sharing, but because of constant issues.

Seems like an issue upstream and not limited to 386 series firmware.

In my opinion the best setting for Trend Micro related features is Disabled. Not because of data sharing, but because of constant issues.
i use it for the traffic analyzer only [its handy the way my network is configured.. ] and the revoke and re-agree seems to have sorted it.... i now see the last 3 hours of data [and counting]

No more ssl problem in the admin log with the solution done. (only the warning navigator window)

Only still this problem that i don't understand because aimesh is not active (not needed because i've only one ac88u)

A restart seems to have resolved this problem.

i use it for the traffic analyzer only [its handy the way my network is configured.. ] and the revoke and re-agree seems to have sorted it.... i now see the last 3 hours of data [and counting]
Belay that ...new morning issue returned. Cmon trend get your crap together

Look at your system log and you can see it happening. For some reason BWDPI removes traffic analyzer data periodically, not exactly every hour. I played with one RT-AC1900P yesterday, left it running - it happened twice in few hours time. Changed the firmware to current Asuswrt, checked in the morning - shows some data for the last 6-7h, seems okay. Must be something buggy in the GPL used for this Asuswrt-Merlin release.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!