What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 Beta is now available for Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop taking snippets of someone's input and putting your downward spin on things as you always do.

The release we get is always above the release Asus gives us. Otherwise, RMerlin wouldn't be doing this.

See how this works now?

This is amazing feedback!

JUST flashed it and ALL working good?

I'm playing with 388_22525 and 388.2 beta for few days and found bugs that needed factory reset... but okay.

The "testing" you guys do reflects the quality of what you are going to get as a release. Go ahead. Sorry to interrupt.
I thought I flashed 388.2 beta on my "facehugger edition" AX-6000, and thought it was working good, but then I realized it was just a dream. :p Carry on with all your testings! I have 0 input to contribute here!

I'm playing with 388_22525 and 388.2 beta for few days and found bugs that needed factory reset... but okay.

The "testing" you guys do reflects the quality of what you are going to get as a release. Go ahead. Sorry to interrupt.

Just RELAX. If you read my post i did factory reset (clean install) 2nd. I am working 12 plus hours a day and don't have time to test anything other then it works. Maybe i should have not posted at all. You need to really relax and chill. Your attitude is not needed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't have time to test anything

No problem. I was collecting a list of not working right things and some of them unrecoverable without factory reset including in Asuswrt base (because I investigate wrere it is coming from as well), but you guys are going to find the issues later, I guess. I'm going to relax and chill - easier for me.

Last edited:
facehugger edition" AX-6000

I may actually get one (or RT-AX86U Pro) and start comparing because this older RT-AX86U is the one with most reported issues lately. What I found happening in 388_22525 today may be model specific, but I couldn't recover with no factory reset and it happens every single time. I'm going to wait for about a week to see if someone notices the same thing in the new 388.2 beta. Reported to Asus already via Feedback Form. Going to watch a TV show now, 2 seasons. Relax and chill.

In reality, we all use our routers differently so a simple setup might report "All working good" which is nothing wrong with that. Those who run a more complicated setup might report otherwise. I'm glad his setup is working flawlessly!!!!

In reality, we all use our routers differently so a simple setup might report "All working good" which is nothing wrong with that. Those who run a more complicated setup might report otherwise. I'm glad his setup is working flawlessly!!!!
Perhaps a solution would be a regression testing checklist and @RMerlin can differentiate which features and settings were tested giving a better picture on what was tested.

This is hilarious! Some relative newbie reports enthusiastically on his (I know, I'm assuming gender here) successful upgrade, and gets his butt kicked straight out of the gate 🤣🤣

Perhaps a solution would be a regression testing checklist and @RMerlin can differentiate which features and settings were tested giving a better picture on what was tested.
All feedback is awesome...but it's still a one man show. Whatever makes this firmware better I'm all for it!

All feedback is awesome...but it's still a one man show. Whatever makes this firmware better I'm all for it!
Out of all the firmwares, this firmware rocks. I think! :p

~~ I was collecting a list of not working right things and some of them unrecoverable without factory reset including in Asuswrt base ~~
~~ this older RT-AX86U is the one with most reported issues lately. What I found happening in 388_22525 today may be model specific, but I couldn't recover with no factory reset and it happens every single time. I'm going to wait for about a week to see if someone notices the same thing in the new 388.2 beta ~~
Your approach is usually different than other's, but that doesn't mean to say it's wrong. In terms of sharing info within this forum, do you plan to post details in due course? e.g. "...list of not working right things..." and/or issues listed by device e.g. RT-AX86U / RT-AX86U Pro etc etc? That could / should / would be helpful to all.

Whatever makes this firmware better I'm all for it!

In my understanding alpha/beta firmware is intended for testing purposes only and if someone has no time to test anything a post like this 5 minutes after flashing only indicates the router came alive. Nothing else. If we don't help RMerlin with actual testing he has no way to know what isn't working.

do you plan to post details in due course?

Yes, but seeing feedback like this is discouraging. All I can say so far - RT-AX86U came back alive with current beta firmware. I'm thinking of getting another popular model and compare the results because I start to believe RT-AX86U has more issues than other models. GT-AX6000 perhaps, it's popular.

Last edited:
All my AX58U's are running great so far on B2.
Thank You :)

388.2 Beta 2 is now available for all supported models (except for the XT12, still no GPL for it). Changes since beta 1:

Code:
639ff8e903 (HEAD -> master) Reformated recent changelog entries
2fb708f4c1 (origin/master) Updated documentation
7320eba6c1 curl: updated to 8.0.1
f92baff728 webui: replace method of renewing cert on DDNS page with Asus' new method used on the System page
ae1ce59754 rc: only refresh DDNS on bound6()/deconfig6() events if IPv6 DDNS updates are enabled
413799a1aa openvpn: updated to 2.6.2
1253272632 webui: 5 GHz-2 Wireless Settings couldn't be saved on some models (issue introduced with 22525)
ed51604f41 Add missing 386.9 and 386.10 changelogs
567a64f84c aaews: move to model-specific
82cb84e911 Bumped revision to beta 2
Should I still insmod md4 on startup?

Other than cifs, working quite well on an AX88U Pro with 2 AX58U's as Mesh nodes.

Should I still insmod md4 on startup?
Yes. Broadcom decided to only include the module as an external module rather than built-in the kernel in the 5.04 SDK (and it's not enabled by default either, the build system enables the module during setup).

I've seen a number of Linux distro also require manually loading the module, so it may be related to a kernel level change too.

Testing beta 2. AXE16000 as OpenVPN server now passes traffic. Extremely slow though and can only open external sites, not internal. Don't care enough to fine tune but it is an improvement from beta 1.

Most exciting though is that my 6Ghz clients now use the 6E radio. I was only able to connect to it when standing next to the AiMesh master but the satellites would completely ignore it. Now, as long as I am close to any AP they associate to the 6ghz radio. Love that since it is why I bought these in the first place. Also stock Asus fw does NOT let my clients associate at 6ghz. Asus should be ashamed a 1 person project is more reliable and stable than their army of engineers. They are a joke.

@RMerlin
Hi, as a user of AX3000-V1 (=AX58U-V1), and a modest contributor to your wiki, I regret very much that you plan to end its support.

Back when I bought my AX3000, and a couple of other ones for friends and family, Asuswrt-Merlin was the reason I chose it, and also because it was a decent and affordable router with basic WiFi6 capabilities.

I understand the confusion with V2 and I know it's a lot of work for you to support every models so I appreciate very much all the effort you've done, thanks a lot. But anyway, I hope you will reconsider...

After updating from beta1 to beta2 node and router everything is up again and working as expected.
All IOT devices @ 2.4GHz guestnet are up and online, bridge is reconnectedt @ 5GHz.
OVPN @ IPv6 is connecting very fast.
Uptime is counting again...

Many THANKS to you @RMerlin!!!

Also stock Asus fw does NOT let my clients associate at 6ghz. Asus should be ashamed a 1 person project is more reliable and stable than their army of engineers. They are a joke.
Wireless code is 100% Asus'. Closed source, I made no change to it.

I hope you will reconsider...
There's nothing for me to reconsider since I haven't made any decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.