What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also, I just discovered that when I have DNS-based Filtering enabled and the Global Filter Mode set to "CleanBrowsing Family" (or any DNS service from the list), it ignores Diversion and no Ad-Blocking happens.
A5OIRbW.png
That is outside the control of the router scripts if you set it so.
This is closed source software and does it's thing, no way to interfere AFAIK.

Also, I just discovered that when I have DNS-based Filtering enabled and the Global Filter Mode set to "CleanBrowsing Family" (or any DNS service from the list), it ignores Diversion and no Ad-Blocking happens.
Yes, that is the entire purpose of that feature.
This is closed source software and does it's thing, no way to interfere AFAIK.
Merlin added this function. It's not closed source, it merely inserts a couple of iptables rules that intercept DNS requests.

Merlin added this function. It's not closed source, it merely inserts a couple of iptables rules that intercept DNS requests.
Right, I got that Trend Micro stuff and RMerlin's genius mixed up. Should shut my gob :oops: and think first.

BTW @ColinTaylor, with { env; set; } one gets the stored shell variables but not functions. Is there a way to print functions with /bin/sh?

Sorry, I don't know of any way to do that on the router. It lacks the declare and typeset commands.
Exactly what I found. Thanks for confirming.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Learning a lot here. Also, it seems I'm having difficulty using a host file on github. I created a repository and made it public. Then I view the file as "raw" and it appears as expected in the browser. However, when I add the url as shown below to the host file, the contents do not get added to the blockinglist after I run the command to update the blocking list.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Jadonr/Hosts/master/Ads.txt

Oddly, this does not happen when I use the same raw file on pastbin but there is a much smaller size limit to go that route. Just wondering if maybe I did something wrong.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Learning a lot here. Also, it seems I'm having difficulty using a host file on github. I created a repository and made it public. Then I view the file as "raw" and it appears as expected in the browser. However, when I add the url as shown below to the host file, the contents do not get added to the blockinglist after I run the command to update the blocking list.

Oddly, this does not happen when I use the same raw file on pastbin but there is a much smaller size limit to go that route. Just wondering if maybe I did something wrong.

Your file is not a hosts list, Diversion doesn't support IP mappings. The file should be either Doimains only list or in IP-Domain format.

This explains it:

https://diversion.ch/diversion/use/blocking-file-hosts-files.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use b, 4 to run the blocking list update verbose, it'll tell you why.
Check formatting of your file again. A proper hosts file must be formatted as <IP domain.com> pair only.
Code:
0.0.0.0 domain.com
Anything else gets discarded such as these examples in your file, containing an URL instead of a bare domain name:
Code:
0.0.0.0      cassadelgroup.com/s1/
0.0.0.0      cat.sv.us.criteo.com/delivery/
0.0.0.0      catiecatclicks.info/banners
0.0.0.0      caveidea.ru:8080/index.php
Also, the last line is invalid which is why Diversion refuses to use the file, for good reasons:
Code:
0.0.0.0      zywave.com

Trying to figure out why Skynet won't install with the help of @Adamm while Diversion install just fine, I saw a kind of a hint from Diversion installation process...

Let me explain and start from scratch.

First I show that I just formatted again USB key to ext2.
Code:
fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdc: 4009 MB, 4009754624 bytes
251 heads, 20 sectors/track, 1560 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 5020 * 512 = 2570240 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sdc1               1        1559     3910656  83 Linux
Code:
 df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                33408     33408         0 100% /
devtmpfs                127732         0    127732   0% /dev
tmpfs                   127836       948    126888   1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4           64256      1888     62368   3% /jffs
/dev/mtdblock4           64256      1888     62368   3% /www/Advanced_MultiSubnet_Content.asp
/dev/mtdblock4           64256      1888     62368   3% /www/require/modules/menuTree.js
/dev/mtdblock4           64256      1888     62368   3% /www/start_apply.htm
/dev/sdc1              3787123         5   3591586   0% /tmp/mnt/sdc1

I take it everything else other than sdc1 is from internal memory? Can't really tell if everything is fine here or not.

So with this fresh new USB key I launch Diversion installation and then I see this:

Code:
 preparing temporary whitelist
 preserving assembled hardcoded whitelist
 updated /jffs/shared-Diversion-whitelist

refreshing Skynet to whitelist domains in shared-Diversion-whitelist

Skynet lockfile detected
 Waiting for Skynet to finish task...
 Unable to refresh Skynet to whitelist domains in shared-Diversion-whitelist.
 Restart Skynet manually to immediately include the new whitelisted domains.

Why is that if Skynet is not installed? Does it have anything to do with JFFS? I'm a noob here just trying to figure out... Should I format JFFS partition at next boot?

Thanks to Diversion for this hint!

Last edited:
Trying to figure out why Skynet won't install with the help of @Adamm while Diversion install just fine, I saw a kind of a hint from Diversion installation process...

Let me explain and start from scratch.

First I show that I just formatted again USB key to ext2.
Code:
fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdc: 4009 MB, 4009754624 bytes
251 heads, 20 sectors/track, 1560 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 5020 * 512 = 2570240 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sdc1               1        1559     3910656  83 Linux
Code:
 df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                33408     33408         0 100% /
devtmpfs                127732         0    127732   0% /dev
tmpfs                   127836       948    126888   1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4           64256      1888     62368   3% /jffs
/dev/mtdblock4           64256      1888     62368   3% /www/Advanced_MultiSubnet_Content.asp
/dev/mtdblock4           64256      1888     62368   3% /www/require/modules/menuTree.js
/dev/mtdblock4           64256      1888     62368   3% /www/start_apply.htm
/dev/sdc1              3787123         5   3591586   0% /tmp/mnt/sdc1

I take it everything else other than sdc1 is from internal memory? Can't really tell if everything is fine here or not.

So with this fresh new USB key I launch Diversion installation and then I see this:

Code:
 preparing temporary whitelist
 preserving assembled hardcoded whitelist
 updated /jffs/shared-Diversion-whitelist

refreshing Skynet to whitelist domains in shared-Diversion-whitelist

Skynet lockfile detected
 Unable to refresh Skynet to whitelist domains in shared-Diversion-whitelist.
 Restart Skynet manually to immediately include the new whitelisted domains.

Why is that if Skynet is not installed? Does it have anything to do with JFFS? I'm a noob here just trying to figure out... Should I format JFFS partition at next boot?

Thanks to Diversion for this hint!
Skynet is there, otherwise Diversion would not see it. Obviously it hangs, there's a lock file.
Reboot the router and try to install Skynet again.

diversion menu will not load only black screen? any advice?
Could you give any background or history? For example, have you had Diversion working in the past without problem and it suddenly happened? Did it coincide with anything (eg update of any sort)? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Have you tried a different USB drive?

what troubleshooting steps have you already tried? Any other problems on the router? Did you try accessing Diversion using a different device, though I presume the Skynet menu (assuming you use Skynet) is fine?

Which router and firmware version?

Could you give any background or history? For example, have you had Diversion working in the past without problem and it suddenly happened? Did it coincide with anything (eg update of any sort)? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Have you tried a different USB drive?

what troubleshooting steps have you already tried? Any other problems on the router? Did you try accessing Diversion using a different device, though I presume the Skynet menu (assuming you use Skynet) is fine?

Which router and firmware version?
Woke up, No internet, rebooted router, internet came back up, could not load into diversion menu, did not notice any abnormal logs

Skynet is there, otherwise Diversion would not see it. Obviously it hangs, there's a lock file.
Reboot the router and try to install Skynet again.
I did reboot, it's always the same. This is how Skynet installs...

4UUAFRu.gif

It's shorter than before, usually it asks to create a swap file and a few more questions IIRC. Adamm told me it won't ask for swap if there is one but USB drive was just formatted!

Now I don't want to bring Skynet debugging over here but I'm curious how Diversion see there is a locked file. Can I browse to that file manually? I'm not a linux expert so I don't know how to list files, is there something like dir /s in linux that will list all files?

The USB drive was freshly ext2 formatted prior to installing Diversion and Diversion hint me about Skynet so I'm lost.

Also, the USB drive was again freshly formatted before the above Skynet installation.

Woke up, No internet, rebooted router, internet came back up, could not load into diversion menu, did not notice any abnormal logs
- Check the routers Syslog for errors.
- Use amtm to check the disk.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!