What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't think my pixelserv is working - all the ads now say or some other error message. I think it is because my pixelserv version is 2.2.1? I tried upgrading without success - so I resorted to formatting the USB with entware/diversion. I reformatted back to ext4, and ran the diversion installer - but it still installed 2.2.1. So I manually was able to upgrade to Leo's 2.3.0 - not 2.3.1, but still have the same error where it doesn't make ads a single pixel. Any advice? Thanks.
I manually installed 2.3.1 because kvic's webpage warns of a memory leak in 2.3.0. https://kazoo.ga/pixelserv-tls
I manually performed the followup steps https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...server-for-adblock.26114/page-164#post-535849
However, you are posting in the Diversion thread. Diversion 4.1.8 can do the followup steps for you under "ep" options 1 and 2.

Having trouble with the diversion/pixelserv + skynet blocking lists. I expanded the setup to use Custom + and then whitelisted maybe 6 additional domains. However, when I whitelisted a root domain such as "123.com" diversion still seems to be blocking subdomains like www.123.com, testme2.123.com. When whitelists are enabled, when I added in "123.com" shouldn't that also handle the 30+ other subdomains I see on the hosts.oisd.nl inclusion with Custom +? I would think that a hit on the whitelist should stop the search and cover everything else or do I have to list the 30+ sub-domains? A bit confusing and I apologize if this has been answered before. My goal is to get these false-positives off host.oisd.nl but IDK yet how to exactly do that. I assume hosts.oisd.nl is the culprit b/c when I did the search inside the blocking lists, that's the listing amtm/search flagged.

Having trouble with the diversion/pixelserv + skynet blocking lists. I expanded the setup to use Custom + and then whitelisted maybe 6 additional domains. However, when I whitelisted a root domain such as "123.com" diversion still seems to be blocking subdomains like www.123.com, testme2.123.com. When whitelists are enabled, when I added in "123.com" shouldn't that also handle the 30+ other subdomains I see on the hosts.oisd.nl inclusion with Custom +? I would think that a hit on the whitelist should stop the search and cover everything else or do I have to list the 30+ sub-domains? A bit confusing and I apologize if this has been answered before. My goal is to get these false-positives off host.oisd.nl but IDK yet how to exactly do that. I assume hosts.oisd.nl is the culprit b/c when I did the search inside the blocking lists, that's the listing amtm/search flagged.
Diversion's whitelist isn't a real-time comparison against incoming DNS queries; rather, it's used to filter out the whitelisted domains from the blocklists when updating them. It's based on an exact match only, as you've found.

^^^ Ah.. ok so at a bare minimum I need to add "www.123.com" and "123.com" to get past the blocking of those mains. I'll test and report more tonight. I guess it is WAD by NOT filtering out all the "123.com" domains (today).

^^^ Ah.. ok so at a bare minimum I need to add "www.123.com" and "123.com" to get past the blocking of those mains. I'll test and report more tonight. I guess it is WAD by NOT filtering out all the "123.com" domains (today).
Don't forget the auto-add option for www (option 5 when editing lists). It'll automate at least that, but not other subdomains.

upload_2020-1-7_11-7-9.png

Diversion whitelists and blacklists exact domains, that includes www and non-www versions.
To block with a wildcard name such as *domain.com use the wildcard-blacklist.

Don't forget the auto-add option for www (option 5 when editing lists). It'll automate at least that, but not other subdomains.

View attachment 20763
That auto-www/non-www duplication only works for the local whitelist. The hosted whitelist does not have that option.

Is it acceptable to remove the backup files in the /opt/share/diversion/backup location? When using the option in diversion to check if a domain is present, it's showing host files that no longer exist because it checks the backup location and some of these are not longer being used in my custom host files.

Is there a way use Diversion as DNS server for cellphone (aka from outside network device)?

Is there a way use Diversion as DNS server for cellphone (aka from outside network device)?
By setting up a vpn server (openvpn) in the router and making sure that "Advertise DNS to clients" setting is set to yes on the vpn server page then setup ovpn on phone and connect to server.

By setting up a vpn server in the router then connecting to it and making sure that "Advertise DNS to clients" setting is set to yes on the vpn server page.
Wouldn't this method also use router's internet, aka the download speed for outside client will be limited to upload speed of the ISP the router is connected to?

Android phones have "Private DNS" setting, where DNS server's hostname can be specified.

Correct, you would be limited to the ISP speeds that the router is connected to. Diversion is running on your LAN so the only way to use it is to VPN to your LAN.

Off the top of my head another method that you could use to block ad's on your Android device would be to specify one of the ad blocking DNS providers such as AdGuard in the settings on your phone.

Edit: Nevermind. Per the AdGuard website "it is impossible to set custom DNS for mobile connection"

Wouldn't this method also use router's internet, aka the download speed for outside client will be limited to upload speed of the ISP the router is connected to?

Android phones have "Private DNS" setting, where DNS server's hostname can be specified.

yes you would be limited by your isp speeds.
To use android Private dns the way you want you would have to set up a Dns Server on your network that can accept external queries , Diversion can't do that im afraid.

Hi guys , i need some help with the following issue please:
Code:
632    DS918PLUS.RT-AC86U                        blocked

diversion reports that my synology (DS918PLUS.RT-AC86U ) nas witch is in my local network was blocked 632 time in the last 3 days.
I have no problems accessing services on the nas so far.
I have also added the domain to the white list with no effect.
Does anyone has an idea of what's causing it ?
Thanks.

yes you would be limited by your isp speeds.
To use android Private dns the way you want you would have to set up a Dns Server on your network that can accept external queries , Diversion can't do that im afraid.
I was hoping that since diversion is a server and operating on it's own IP, I could forward external port to it...

https://blokada.org/

Don’t know if this might help?
No Android here, so no personal experience. :)

I was hoping that since diversion is a server and operating on it's own IP, I could forward external port to it...
You can mimic the popular adblock lists using NextDNS apps on your phone while away from your home network.

You can mimic the popular adblock lists using NextDNS apps on your phone while away from your home network.
user can simply benefit from diversion on their openvpn server while away from home. NextDNS works well too, but i would only recommend it if router resources are limited, or you want to block more than is adequate to use diversion to do as diversions only limitations are the routers available resources.

Another benefit of this is my work blocks ports to access the VPN on my home router, yet I can use the NextDNS app fine on my Pixel3.

However whenever I can I connect to my home OVPN and let Diversion do the work.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!