What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been learning how to host a Hosts file online. I wanted to create one that only blocks Facebook, everything of Facebooks. Here is my StevenBlack modified Facebook Hosts list for anyone here to use.

Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mrtargaryen/hostsfile/master/facebook_blacklist

Last edited:
I've been learning how to host a Hosts file online. I wanted to create one that only blocks Facebook, everything of Facebooks. Here is my StevenBlack modified Facebook Hosts list for anyone here to use.

Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mrtargaryen/hostsfile/master/Facebook%20Blacklist

Once you add it in B 1,2,1 it may look like this ...

Code:
6: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mrtargaryen/hostsfile/master/Facebookprintf: %20Blacklist\n: invalid format

But don't worry it will process properly.
have you checked out
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anudeepND/blacklist/master/facebook.txt

Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mrtargaryen/hostsfile/master/Facebook%20Blacklist

Once you add it in B 1,2,1 it may look like this ...

Code:
6: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mrtargaryen/hostsfile/master/Facebookprintf: %20Blacklist\n: invalid format

But don't worry it will process properly.
Remove the space in the filename, use a dash or underscore. Some clients don't like spaces in web hosted files.

Yeah, that has Instagram, and I think WhatsApp. I just wanted to block everything from the Facebook website and related services but not the other sites.
Gonna use your link as I use that total Facebook block file posted elsewhere and it interferes with WhatsApp which I use privately and professionally.

Gonna use your link as I use that total Facebook block file posted elsewhere and it interferes with WhatsApp which I use privately and professionally.

I'll keep it updated. If I have anything it's lots of time so won't be a problem for me :)

I found that with some lists as well, I just wanted Facebook blocked but have WhatsApp working fully without issues. I don't have an Instagram account but there is often news that includes Instagram posts I want to view.

Also, I looked at Steven Black's Social list but that just blanket blocks everything social media, and I use Twitter for news every day, and I use Reddit as well.

Last edited:
I found that with some lists as well, I just wanted Facebook blocked but have WhatsApp working fully without issues. I don't have an Instagram account but there is often news that includes Instagram posts I want to view.

Also, I looked at Steven Black's Social list but that just blank blocks everything social media, and I use Twitter for news every day, and I use Reddit as well.
Exact same here, thanks for keeping that list up to date. Will see if it works with the next WhatsApp message coming in with a pic or video.
Since I was lazy in whitelisting things for the old FB block file, I resorted to disable WiFi to get that content. Hopefully no more :D

The following keeps popping up, anyone know what it means?

Jan 27 09:46:14 pixelserv-tls[24710]: create_child_sslctx: cannot find or use /opt/var/cache/pixelserv/_.doubleclick.net
Jan 27 09:46:14 pixelserv-tls[24710]: tls_clienthello_cb: fail to create sslctx or cache _.doubleclick.net
Jan 27 09:46:25 pixelserv-tls[24710]: create_child_sslctx: cannot find or use /opt/var/cache/pixelserv/_.doubleclick.net
Jan 27 09:46:25 pixelserv-tls[24710]: tls_clienthello_cb: fail to create sslctx or cache _.doubleclick.net
Jan 27 13:45:24 pixelserv-tls[24710]: create_child_sslctx: cannot find or use /opt/var/cache/pixelserv/_.doubleclick.net
Jan 27 13:45:24 pixelserv-tls[24710]: tls_clienthello_cb: fail to create sslctx or cache _.doubleclick.net

For some reason pixelserv-tls can't find the generated domain certificates for blocked domains.

From Diversion menu choose 'ep' , 3 'manage pixelsrv-tls certificates', 1 'Purge pixelserv-tls domain certificates' & 1 to purge. See if that stops the messages

I've installed amtm and diversion on two identical devices:
on second one number of domains is always doubled
Code:
Diversion Statistics Tue Jan 28 19:36:48 2020
 --------------------------------------------------------
 Compiled by Diversion 4.1.8

Ad-Blocking stats:
 1,520,205   domains in total are blocked
 1,520,205   blocked by blocking list
 0           blocked by blacklist
 0           blocked by wildcard blacklist

3,292       ads in total blocked
 3,292       ads this week, since last Saturday, Tuesday
 1           new ads, since Jan 28 19:23
vs
Code:
 Diversion Statistics Tue Jan 28 19:50:47 2020

Ad-Blocking stats:
 3,040,410   domains in total are blocked
 3,040,410   blocked by blocking list

476         ads in total blocked
 476         ads this week, since last Saturday, Tuesday
 0           new ads, since Jan 28 19:45
tested on different lists, number is always doubled

second thing I've noticed is
amtm command is listed when I press tab on router no 1 and it isn't on router no 2 but both launch script while typing full command
both run on 384.14_2 rt-ac86u

I've installed amtm and diversion on two identical devices:
on second one number of domains is always doubled
Code:
Diversion Statistics Tue Jan 28 19:36:48 2020

Ad-Blocking stats:
 1,520,205   domains in total are blocked
 1,520,205   blocked by blocking list

3,292       ads in total blocked
 3,292       ads this week, since last Saturday, Tuesday
 1           new ads, since Jan 28 19:23
vs
Code:
 Diversion Statistics Tue Jan 28 19:50:47 2020

Ad-Blocking stats:
 3,040,410   domains in total are blocked
 3,040,410   blocked by blocking list

476         ads in total blocked
 476         ads this week, since last Saturday, Tuesday
 0           new ads, since Jan 28 19:45
tested on different lists, number is always doubled

second thing I've noticed is
amtm command is listed when I press tab on router no 1 and it isn't on router no 2 but both launch script while typing full command
both run on 384.14_2 rt-ac86u
Does the one with double have IPv6 enabled?

I thought Telegram was where it’s at.
Personally, I prefer Signal to remove the “social media” noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signal is my preferred as well, but unfortunately almost everyone wants to use WhatsApp.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!