What's new

Dual-band, Torrent, NAS ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

obarthelemy

New Around Here
Hi.

I'm trying to cut down on energy consumption and clutter. I currently have an x86 single-drive (3 TB) NAS, also running Bittorent. It seems to be a huge waste of space, CPU cycles, and power. Since I need a new dual-band router because the G band is very busy where I live, I figured I should try to get everything in a single gizmo and get rid of the extra PC. I'm not looking for fancy features in any of those areas, just basic, reliable stuff. So...

Is there any router that combines:
- dual band
- an integrated Torrent client
- at least one, if possible 2 USB ports for attached storage ? I'm not doing anything fancy with this, just a single stream of HD video. It does not need to be blazingly fast, as long as it goes fast enough to stream HD. Backup from one port to the other would be nice. Needs to support a 3 TB HD (GPT) HD.

It seems the Belkin Play Max should be the router for me if it worked as advertised, which it didn't when tested. Were the issues fixed since then (they seem to be mostly software) ? Are there any alternatives ? Even hacked firmwares don't seem to support Bittorrent, nor, really, NAS ?

Thanks for any help,

Olivier

Last edited:
Router sharing features are pretty basic with some throwing in UPnP/DLNA serving, but most supporting just basic SMB drive sharing. Performance is around 10 MB/s, which should serve a single 1080P HD stream, provided that the server is implemented well.

BitTorrent support isn't common. But check the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H.