What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS issues with 388.4 HND5.04 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No, I only had an AC86U before. I ordered an AX86U Pro on Amazon last night and it arrived at 8AM this morning. Yes, this problem intrigues me.
Hopefully it's not something that's closed-source!

Hopefully it's not something that's closed-source!
Of course it will be. Isn't it always? :)

So far, I see reference to the unexpected marks in cat /proc/fcache/nflist

There is a lot of new netfilter customization going on in 388 HND5.04, as evidenced by (what I think are) new fields in /proc/net/nf_conntrack, such as the iqprio, swaccel, hwaccel fields.

A useful command is "FcStats.sh" on the HND5.04 models. Not sure what it all means, but it's verbose.

Let me know if you need any outputs from an older router (GT-AX11000) to compared too...

Of course it will be. Isn't it always? :)

So far, I see reference to the unexpected marks in cat /proc/fcache/nflist

There is a lot of new netfilter customization going on in 388 HND5.04, as evidenced by (what I think are) new fields in /proc/net/nf_conntrack, such as the iqprio, swaccel, hwaccel fields.

A useful command is "FcStats.sh" on the HND5.04 models. Not sure what it all means, but it's verbose.
Yea I just took a peak at cat /proc/fcache/nflist on the RTAX88U-PRO. Definitely very interesting.

I am observing a Facetime call in progress in my house and it's showing up in the Others category for Untracked. Normally this would have been caught by a custom iptables rule to go into Work-From-Home. It's definitely being accelerated by flowcache because there are no packets from that connection passing through the mangle table whatsoever, but it seems even the first packet didn't make it through for the initial marking.

Hmm...

I also noticed, when viewing the FlexQoS statistics in the GUI, that they were changing the labeling of packages, suddenly something from work from home was transferred to web transfer.

No, I only had an AC86U before. I ordered an AX86U Pro on Amazon last night and it arrived at 8AM this morning. Yes, this problem intrigues me.
Sorry to publicly demonstrate my own fickleness yet again, but the AX86U Pro is heading back to Amazon’s shelves as we speak. After a couple days of trying to understand what was going on, I just decided life is too short to live as a servant to Trend Micro / Broadcom.

At worst, FlexQoS should continue to work fine for AppDB redirections. iptables rules appear ineffective in at least some scenarios.

I would just recommend running plain Adaptive QoS for most people with faster connections, or CAKE if you have “slower” connections (but I was seeing 600-700 Mbit download with CAKE through the built-in speedtest).

At worst, FlexQoS should continue to work fine for AppDB redirections. iptables rules appear ineffective in at least some scenarios.
I'm assuming this applies to the newer HND routers only or overall asus routers?

Also can you share which scenarios the iptables would be ineffective? Thanks!

on the flexqos it still shows min update after i already updated in the develop version

Hello! I've been forced to upgrade my trusty RT-AC88U and am looking at the RT-AX86U Pro. From reading this thread, the stability issues have been fixed but there are still packets going through unmarked. I will be relying on FlexQoS to be able to get Gaming or Device priority during prime-time saturation on a 100/40 link. Are these unmarked packets consistent and large enough to cause issues for me? This would be a deal breaker as trying Adaptive QoS in the past on my old device, it could not handle a saturated link at all, but FlexQoS worked perfectly.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Hello! I've been forced to upgrade my trusty RT-AC88U and am looking at the RT-AX86U Pro. From reading this thread, the stability issues have been fixed but there are still packets going through unmarked. I will be relying on FlexQoS to be able to get Gaming or Device priority during prime-time saturation on a 100/40 link. Are these unmarked packets consistent and large enough to cause issues for me? This would be a deal breaker as trying Adaptive QoS in the past on my old device, it could not handle a saturated link at all, but FlexQoS worked perfectly.

Thanks for all your hard work!
You might try CakeQoS

I wouldn’t rely on any iptables rules to deliver expected results.
Completely understandable. I've had great success with FlexQoS in my previous household with usage way beyond what I would expect from my new place. This is why I would like to stick with it. The best thing for me to do is try it out and hope for further development for HND devices! Thanks for the response.

You might try CakeQoS
I have heard that CakeQoS still causes issues with online gaming - though there is not much information regarding it, the thing I'd like to avoid most is for ~2-3 users that game to experience ping spikes during gameplay. Do you have much experience with a saturated link + CakeQoS + gaming and / or livestreaming? Thanks!

Completely understandable. I've had great success with FlexQoS in my previous household with usage way beyond what I would expect from my new place. This is why I would like to stick with it. The best thing for me to do is try it out and hope for further development for HND devices! Thanks for the response.

I have heard that CakeQoS still causes issues with online gaming - though there is not much information regarding it, the thing I'd like to avoid most is for ~2-3 users that game to experience ping spikes during gameplay. Do you have much experience with a saturated link + CakeQoS + gaming and / or livestreaming? Thanks!
I've always used FlexQoS as well without issues, however I'm testing out CAKEQoS with the CAKEQoS-MERLIN add-on and I changed upload to run on "besteffort" (vs default) and use 90 to 95% of the tested result of your download as the download value. I had no issues while gaming on different consoles simultaneously so far.

Last edited:
I've always used FlexQoS as well without issues, however I'm testing out CAKEQoS with the CAKEQoS-MERLIN add-on and I changed upload to run on "besteffort" (vs default) and use 90 to 95% of the tested result of your download as the download value. I had no issues while gaming on different consoles simultaneously so far.

That sounds like an experience that I'm after. Looks like I'll give CAKEQoS a shot! Since my internet speed is quite slow anyway it shouldn't have much of an issue. I just need to make sure the header parameters are set right..

Final question: Would disabling hardware acceleration cause any other issues in relation to the router's performance? Or will it be neglible / non existent due to my low sync speeds of 100 max? Thanks!

That sounds like an experience that I'm after. Looks like I'll give CAKEQoS a shot! Since my internet speed is quite slow anyway it shouldn't have much of an issue. I just need to make sure the header parameters are set right..

Final question: Would disabling hardware acceleration cause any other issues in relation to the router's performance? Or will it be neglible / non existent due to my low sync speeds of 100 max? Thanks!
You should not run into any issues with it disabled. Try running CAKE with default settings for a few hours/days. However, if CAKE doesn't work out for you ( if u noticed any lag/latency while gaming), you can try enabling FlexQoS again and setup to your needs. It seems I always end up using Flex in my environment and my comcast speeds can reach up to 120/22Mbps (on a 100/20Mbps plan).

Try starting with 90% of your bandwidth when setting up i.e. 90/36Mbps and adjust as necessary!

Thread 'Hw Acceleration Queation' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/hw-acceleration-queation.26315/

Last edited:
Initially I thought everything was working as intended because I see connections divided up into categories in the FlexQoS tab but I see barely kb/s in the graphs after some time which seems wrong ... is it possible to have Flex working out of the box with VPN Director'd traffic or it is unsupported? Have I got the options set wrong?

I imagine the interfaces shouldn't be set as eth4 in this kind of set up?

Debug date : 2023-10-14 17:56:35+0100
Router Model : RT-AX58U
Firmware Ver : 388.4_0
DPI/Sig Ver : 2.0.1 / 2.372
WAN iface : eth4
tc WAN iface : eth4
IPv6 : disabled
Undf Prio : 2
Down Band : 110592
Up Band : 18432

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!