What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Actually, you should be able to move 'up' from the fork to either the 380 or 384 code via the gui (just make sure to do a factory reset after the firmware upgrade). Moving 'back' to the fork will always require use of the firmware restoration tool (also followed by a factory reset).

Having said that, a warning to everyone about moving to Merlin 384.5 or ASUS 384.20624 or later. Merlin has indicated that there may be changes after loading these levels on the AC68 that prevents going back to earlier code, even when using the firmware restoration tool.

Thank you for the information.

The Journey
From 380.69_2 to 32E4

374.43_32E4j9527 is live & rt-n66u doing what it does. Installation went as smooth as a techy can make it. I've never had the need to use the "ASUS firmware restoration tool" before so while I searched for the tool itself I also searched for a guide on how to use it. I found one from ASUS but for another router but this one had some missteps. I got around it.

After a successful installation & bypassed the first boot setup & went to the admin tab & did a factory reset. After reboot I went ahead & changed all password etc.

This is when the "too smooth to be true" came to be. After changing the default router IP to 192.168.44.1 . Right after applying the settings the router rebooted but it showed a "broadcom miniweb etc" interface. I gave me the option to upload a firmware. I just went ahead an entered rescue mode again & re-flashed 374.43_32E4j9527. I went over the whole thing again & this time I was able to successfully change the router's default IP.

I don't know if it had to do with the subnet mask. I left it at 255.255.255.0.

-It fixed an issue I was having with ipv6 & some devices.
-Happy to see on UI DNScrypt support.

I noticed that when the router reboots & a connection has been established, the page does not reload for a long time. It is easier to manually reload the page to get the login prompt.

What I Miss
Native TOR integration.

Question:

Is this right?
NVRAM 41317 / 65536 bytes (63% utilized)

Fresh install

Last edited:
Reactions: il2
This is when the "too smooth to be true" came to be. After changing the default router IP to 192.168.44.1 . Right after applying the settings the router rebooted but it showed a "broadcom miniweb etc" interface.
That was likely some caching going on on your browser....

I noticed that when the router reboots & a connection has been established, the page does not reload for a long time. It is easier to manually reload the page to get the login prompt.
That's just a countdown timer that set in the browser, and is set to try and provide a happy medium against features that may be active. If you aren't using any advanced features, it's a bit too long. If you run QoS, VPN Server, VPN Client, DNSCrypt like I do, the gui can actually return before the router is finished booting.
Expending the effort to try and adjust the timer based on features seemed like too much work for little benefit.

Is this right?
NVRAM 41317 / 65536 bytes (63% utilized)
Yep...that's about right for a new install.

Wouldn't you also have raise the transmitter power of the
clients, since they have to transmit through those same walls back to the router?
dlandiss,
If you like to have an answer on that yes you can :p.
The question was if it is still possible with john fork or not.
Seems like john knows the answer but don't want to answer in the past asus locked down the router to comply with FCC rules before that i had all the channels available and the ability of changing the txp in other words they cripple down the router. Its pure marketing
its hardcoded just want to know if john did make an exception

it sounds like the "normal" firmware update contains not only the firmware code but the TMobile firmware

It doesn't. The firmware gets downloaded from Asus' update servers, just like any regular live update.

FYI
Channels [36 - 36] @ 17 dBm
Channels [40 - 40] @ 17 dBm
Channels [44 - 44] @ 17 dBm
Channels [48 - 48] @ 17 dBm
Channels [52 - 52] @ 24 dBm
Channels [56 - 56] @ 24 dBm
Channels [60 - 60] @ 24 dBm
Channels [64 - 64] @ 24 dBm
Channels [100 - 100] @ 24 dBm
Channels [104 - 104] @ 24 dBm
Channels [108 - 108] @ 24 dBm
Channels [112 - 112] @ 24 dBm
Channels [116 - 116] @ 24 dBm
Channels [132 - 132] @ 24 dBm
Channels [136 - 136] @ 24 dBm
Channels [140 - 140] @ 24 dBm
Channels [144 - 144] @ 24 dBm
Channels [149 - 149] @ 30 dBm
Channels [153 - 153] @ 30 dBm
Channels [157 - 157] @ 30 dBm
Channels [161 - 161] @ 30 dBm
ountry: EU Environment: Indoor/Outdoor locked down
Channels [36 - 36] @ 13 dBm
Channels [40 - 40] @ 13 dBm
Channels [44 - 44] @ 13 dBm
Channels [48 - 48] @ 13 dBm
Channels [52 - 52] @ 13 dBm
Channels [56 - 56] @ 13 dBm
Channels [60 - 60] @ 13 dBm
Channels [64 - 64] @ 13 dBm
Channels [100 - 100] @ 13 dBm
Channels [104 - 104] @ 13 dBm
Channels [108 - 108] @ 13 dBm
Channels [112 - 112] @ 13 dBm
all the rest of the channels are not avail in eu even if i have only one channel above 112 i don't need to bother anyone

all the rest of the channels are not avail in eu
Yes they are. It's just that you've chosen a bandwidth of 80MHz and there isn't an free 80MHz block that high. If you select 20MHz bandwidth you will see that the channels go from 36 to 140.

It doesn't. The firmware gets downloaded from Asus' update servers, just like any regular live update.
ok thx that was the answer i needed its in the wifidrv back to the old days :) with interference :(
everyone is on the same channel 100 =>112 logic isn't + every corner free wifi nice
Thanks mate for your answer

Yes they are. It's just that you've chosen a bandwidth of 80MHz and there isn't an free 80MHz block that high. If you select 20MHz bandwidth you will see that the channels go from 36 to 140.
yeah i know i know we dont talk about the transer speed then i've got my answer the rest i know

dlandiss,
If you like to have an answer on that yes you can :p.
The question was if it is still possible with john fork or not.
Seems like john knows the answer but don't want to answer in the past asus locked down the router to comply with FCC rules before that i had all the channels available and the ability of changing the txp in other words they cripple down the router. Its pure marketing
its hardcoded just want to know if john did make an exception
I'm very conflicted on this one as I've read some papers that say it's not 'just pure marketing'.
Bottom line, you were able to do it in the original firmware on which this fork is based, and I haven't disabled it. But I won't help to do it either.

That was likely some caching going on on your browser....

That's just a countdown timer that set in the browser, and is set to try and provide a happy medium against features that may be active. If you aren't using any advanced features, it's a bit too long. If you run QoS, VPN Server, VPN Client, DNSCrypt like I do, the gui can actually return before the router is finished booting.
Expending the effort to try and adjust the timer based on features seemed like too much work for little benefit.

Yep...that's about right for a new install.

So far everything is working smoothly. Again, DNScrypt, very nice. There is a nice selection of servers & DNSSEC capable servers too. Perhaps for a feature update Cloudfares' DNS IPS can be added to the list. They have for both ipv4 & ipv6
https://1.1.1.1/

I use them on my laptop by way of Simple DNScrypt.

Nice work.

So far everything is working smoothly. Again, DNScrypt, very nice. There is a nice selection of servers & DNSSEC capable servers too. Perhaps for a feature update Cloudfares' DNS IPS can be added to the list. They have for both ipv4 & ipv6
https://1.1.1.1/

I use them on my laptop by way of Simple DNScrypt.

Nice work.
In order to support Cloudfare, I need to migrate from DNSCrypt v1 to the v2 release. It's on my todo list :)

Hi John, I searched the thread but couldn't find too much information about flash your custom FW on the Tmobile AC1900.... I recently got the router, flashed it to AC68P initially, and mysteriously got reverted back to latest Tmobile FW after attempting to flash Merlin. It seems Asus has also locked mini CFE for the TM version. I couldn't even downgrade the router to original 1703 anymore. Some other member of forum suggested I could use your fw. I could not find any instructions. Would you please shed some light about it?

Have you tried the methods in this thread
https://slickdeals.net/f/9330575-as...dual-band-gigabit-router-59-free-shipping?v=1

I have 1 TM-AC1900 running John's fork for more than a year

FYI
Channels [36 - 36] @ 17 dBm
Channels [40 - 40] @ 17 dBm
Channels [44 - 44] @ 17 dBm
Channels [48 - 48] @ 17 dBm
Channels [52 - 52] @ 24 dBm
Channels [56 - 56] @ 24 dBm
Channels [60 - 60] @ 24 dBm
Channels [64 - 64] @ 24 dBm
Channels [100 - 100] @ 24 dBm
Channels [104 - 104] @ 24 dBm
Channels [108 - 108] @ 24 dBm
Channels [112 - 112] @ 24 dBm
Channels [116 - 116] @ 24 dBm
Channels [132 - 132] @ 24 dBm
Channels [136 - 136] @ 24 dBm
Channels [140 - 140] @ 24 dBm
Channels [144 - 144] @ 24 dBm
Channels [149 - 149] @ 30 dBm
Channels [153 - 153] @ 30 dBm
Channels [157 - 157] @ 30 dBm
Channels [161 - 161] @ 30 dBm

Where did you get the dBm numbers from?

I am running RMerlins, but if what you post is true then seems that I should be on the upper channels of 5ghz instead of the lower channels as the have more power.

Been running John's fork on TM-AC1900 too. Does this mean we can't upgrade to the new builds of John's fork or Merlin anymore? Still on the old modified CFE which I flashed into the device
New builds of my fork are OK. I don't pick up any CFE updates (or some other related code).

Merlin....time to be careful since he merges pretty much the entirety of new ASUS releases.

And as I warned in a previous post, even 'real' AC68 users need to be careful about the latest ASUS/Merlin releases. You may not be able to go back to earlier releases if you try them.

I am running RMerlins, but if what you post is true then seems that I should be on the upper channels of 5ghz instead of the lower channels as the have more power.
The FCC raised the power limits on the lower channels which 'should' be reflected in the latest releases.

Now a comment on my fork.....this will be a difference between my 'L' legacy builds and newer 'E' builds. The 'L' builds will continue to use the regulations in effect at the time of original release (2014), and not reflect any changes made since then.

The FCC raised the power limits on the lower channels which 'should' be reflected in the latest releases.

Is there anywhere to check this besides observing signal strength?

In nvram I only found wl0/1_txpower=100. I am assuming that just references the percent of the slider in the WebUI

Hello John!

Very minor issue. Every time I update firmware on RT-AC68U - the Stealth Mode remains as "Yes", yet router turns on one of the LEDs (USB). But no such issue after updating RT-N66U.
This is interesting. I can't recreate the problem on my AC68P. So I'm wondering if Asus did a design change somewhere along the line.

What rev AC68U do you have (A1,A2,B1,C1,E1) and when was it purchased?
Also please log into the router and run the following commands.
nvram get odmpid
nvram get cpurev
nvram get PA

Last edited:
I'm very conflicted on this one as I've read some papers that say it's not 'just pure marketing'.
Bottom line, you were able to do it in the original firmware on which this fork is based, and I haven't disabled it. But I won't help to do it either.
Sorry for the conflict you have :)) But that's your idea about it.
Everyone has an opinion no matter what articles write... and another endless debate.

Thx FYI