What's new

Newb in over his head! ASUS help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StinkyFeetMendoza

New Around Here
Hello Everyone:
Im a complete newb to the forum and I am completely inept when it comes to setting up networks. My only experience is from trying to trouble shoot my netgear N600 router. I got advanced enough to upgrade my firmware! :) I really tried to research this on my own but I dont really know where to start so I apologize if I am asking stuff that has already been covered. My netgear worked great when I first got it. I have a large house(4000+ sq ft) and my netgear worked everywhere, even out in the garage and out by the pool. It was strong enough to even work out in my pool house. Overtime the range has slowly been diminishing to the point that it barely works on the second floor of my house. I then started having connectivity issues. The wifi signal would just drop out and thats when I started trying to trouble shoot it. After several hours on the phone with netgear, we determined the router was defective. I decided I would read some reviews and buy the "best" router out there. Everything I read said that the Asus RT-AC66u was the way to go for speed and range. I have spent the better part of the afternoon setting it up, watching all the Asus youtube videos and trying to read on the forum. I have an iMac, a PS3, and a Samsung Verizon Network Booster that are all hardwired in. I also have one PS3 and 4 mobile devices that are using wifi.

My problem is that this router, out of the box, has much worse range than my N600 Netgear. I am sure this is due to me being a newb and not knowing how to setup the Asus RT-AC66u but I was somewhat shocked bc of all the great reviews I read. I am using firmware version 3.0.0.4_355. Please help. I dont even know enough to know where to start looking. If I cant get better performance out of this router I think I am just going to box it up and get another Netgear. When I run my ping test Im getting about 32ms and between 3-4ms jitter. My speed looks good as well with around 30mbps down and about 4mbps up. What is wrong here that Im getting barely any range(maybe 50 ft)? Also It seems like everyone is using second party firmware, is this something that might help my problem? I am open to any and all suggestions and help. Thank you all so much.

-StinkyFeetMendoza

EDIT: The ping and speedtest results I mentioned were from my iMac that was hardwired to the router. When I run a speedtest on my ipad in the far corner of the house on the second floor I get barely 1mbps download and I get 0 up.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!