What's new

R6700 LAN-LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New Around Here
Hello,

Have (2) Netgear R6700 v3.

Want to cascade to the second router in the basement to expand coverage but also would like the guest network access at this router.

I have read this is not possible with LAN-LAN only with LAN-WAN.

However, with LAN-WAN there is not a seamless transition throughout the floors in my home.

All SSIDs and passwords are the same on both routers, ie Netgear, Netgear5, Netgear-guest, Netgear5-guest.

Setting it up as an AP, I have read significantly decreases speed.

Am I missing something?

Thank you for your assistance.

Welcome to the forums @7474.

Yes, what is missing is modern firmware/hardware and possibly an SDK with AiMesh (or similar) capabilities.

Unless you're willing to upgrade your hardware (or possibly use third-party firmware on your existing setup), I don't think it's possible with stock NG firmware.

Setting it up as a wired AP doesn't decrease speeds. A wireless backhaul would though.

I don't see how LAN-WAN would allow for the Guest network to be available to an AP though (if the firmware doesn't specifically have that feature).

Am I missing something?

You can expand Wi-Fi coverage with Router + Access Point, but you can't have Guest Network separation on the Access Point. Clients connected to the Access Point, to any SSID it broadcasts, will have access to your devices on the main network. You have to offer Guest Network on the Router only.

Welcome to the forums @7474.

Yes, what is missing is modern firmware/hardware and possibly an SDK with AiMesh (or similar) capabilities.

Unless you're willing to upgrade your hardware (or possibly use third-party firmware on your existing setup), I don't think it's possible with stock NG firmware.

Setting it up as a wired AP doesn't decrease speeds. A wireless backhaul would though.

I don't see how LAN-WAN would allow for the Guest network to be available to an AP though (if the firmware doesn't specifically have that feature).
Thanks for the reply.

I had read here with a link to SNB that using as an AP would decrease speed.

Thanks again for the reply.

FYI. You could support both the private *and* guest networks at the second router (running as an AP only) provided the second router was running FT (FreshTomato).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!