What's new

[Release 380] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.69 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Merlin, thanks for great work with modding firmware (AC88U).

I have question, could you include wireless-tools (iwconfig etc) in next release? Or it is already exists but renamed :)

It would ungate the aircrack-ng toolchain on those devices since it is required to start monitorin device and one thin I really hate is rebooting together with 'burining' live usb sticks ...

Those tools wouldn't work with Broadcom's proprietary stack. You have to use the tools provided by Broadcom themselves, such as wl and dhd.

I reported an error in the code reference ethernet port status report. This is the original commit with the error:

eea7c61

RMelin fixed the issue with this commit:

f90fc25

The 380.69 version you just installed doesn't include the fix. You will need to wait until RMelin releases his next version. I'm not sure if this has also caused the issues that users are reporting reference the webui being slow or non responsive. We will have to see.
Gheez. How'd I make that mistake. Using release version and all is good. Many thanks.

Upgrade is not possible on my 87U. After upgrade the console still shows 380.68_4.

Did not see any suspicous syslog entries...

Please help.

I had the same issue upgrading from alpha and got me a few tries to upgrade. Just try till you succeed, eventually you'll get there.

Upgrade is not possible on my 87U. After upgrade the console still shows 380.68_4.

Did not see any suspicous syslog entries...

Please help.

I have the same model 87U, Sometimes you have to power cycle (restart) the router, then after that is done you can upgrade.

Upgrade never works for me if the router has not been power cycled within a week or so from upgrade.

I will however say that I did power cycle my 87U, and as a result I was able to upgrade with no issues.

If a simple power cycle is not enough, try unpligging the power completely for 10 minutes, turn it back on and then try again.

If a simple power cycle is not enough, try unpligging the power completely for 10 minutes, turn it back on and then try again.
...and: remove all USB devices before power cycle!
This kind of issue is related to memory shortage due to too many processes/tools/applications running and eating up all the (small) 256 MegaBytes of RAM. :rolleyes:

Since upgrading to 380.69, after each reboot all of my port forwarding rules are gone and I have to put them in again. Is anyone else seeing this problem? This is on an RT-AC3200.

Since upgrading to 380.69, after each reboot all of my port forwarding rules are gone and I have to put them in again. Is anyone else seeing this problem? This is on an RT-AC3200.
Check your nvram utilization on the Tools>Sysinfo page. If it's greater than about 61-62K, you are going to need to slim down some options. Start with a factory reset then reconfigure and check the utilization along the way.

Probably because by default Merlin disables airtime fairness which has been an issue for some time on the factory firmware.
Ah...after reading up on "airtime fairness"...makes a lot sense. Epson printer like eight years old. Also wryly noting my early vintage ethernet attached Slingbox now working totally reliably with the Merlin code in the Ac87U after 12-18months of repeated weekly hangs/lockups.

• Router: RT-68U Rev C1
  • Factory reset then upgraded to latest ASUS FW: Version 3.0.0.4.382.18881, Released: 2017/11/30
  • Factory reset then upgraded to latest Merlin FW: 380.69 (11-Dec-2017)
PROBLEM:
Could login & use GUI with Firefox 57.0.2 64 bit AND IE 11.xx until I Generated a new certificate on the RT-AC68U.
(Did this as I changed its IP so was trying to avoid Firefox's warnings about the original certificate which has the default IP of 192.168.1.1 in it).

After generating this cert I can no longer login with Firefox as it just shows "Performing TLS handshake to 192.168.9.1" on bottom left corner of tab. I CAN still login with IE, at first GUI response seemed much slower compared to prior generating the new cert but now has seemed to have improved. Any idea why?

Also how can I download (I know you can UP load via GUI) the new selfsigned certificate so I can add it to my certificate store?

Last edited:
  • Factory reset then upgraded to latest ASUS FW: Version 3.0.0.4.382.18881, Released: 2017/11/30
PROBLEM:
Could login & use GUI with Firefox 57.0.2 64 bit AND IE 11.xx until I Generated a new certificate on the RT-AC68U.
(Did this as I changed its IP so was trying to avoid Firefox's warnings about the original certificate which has the default IP of 192.168.1.1 in it).

After generating this cert I can no longer login with Firefox as it just shows "Performing TLS handshake to 192.168.9.1" on bottom left corner of tab. I CAN still login with IE, at first GUI response seemed much slower compared to prior generating the new cert but now has seemed to have improved. Any idea why?

Also how can I download (I know you can UP load via GUI) the new selfsigned certificate so I can add it to my certificate store?

Why are you using a certificate? Cause if you don't have WAN access enabled and don't use you router in a public LAN, you can' just leave out the certificate and access the webUI over http. Unless you are worried of your wife and kids trying to sniff your password :D

RE Why using httpS to login to router:
Just good security practice... always done it that way.
Still would like to know why Firefox worked ok before I generated a new certificate.

Hi,
I have an RT-AC68U with 300MB simestric FTTH. In System log appear this message:
Dec 20 12:21:07 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!

How can i fix it?

Regards

Check your nvram utilization on the Tools>Sysinfo page. If it's greater than about 61-62K, you are going to need to slim down some options. Start with a factory reset then reconfigure and check the utilization along the way.

That seems to be the problem. After rebulding most of the config, it seems to be doing better than ever. Thank you.

...and: remove all USB devices before power cycle!
This kind of issue is related to memory shortage due to too many processes/tools/applications running and eating up all the (small) 256 MegaBytes of RAM. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...got 138MB free RAM. Should be sufficient for an upgrade!?

I have the same model 87U, Sometimes you have to power cycle (restart) the router, then after that is done you can upgrade.

Upgrade never works for me if the router has not been power cycled within a week or so from upgrade.

I will however say that I did power cycle my 87U, and as a result I was able to upgrade with no issues.

Well ... since now I never needed to restart my 87U to perform an upgrade.

I will give it a try, but reading all the problem reports here I think I will wait for a 380.69_1 ...

RE Why using httpS to login to router:
Just good security practice... always done it that way.
Still would like to know why Firefox worked ok before I generated a new certificate.

Might try viewing the certificates and cookies in Firefox and delete any related to router.asus.com, 192.168.xx and try to access it again and grant a security exception if needed. I used to have https enabled but never turned it back on after I did a restore to factory defaults last version.

You should be performing the factory reset after flashing the new firmware. This will set all the default values for the new firmware. Factory resetting before the flash will pass the defaults for the previous firmware to the new firmware.

Thanks for the suggestion doczenith1 but think I already did a factory reset after as well when trying to fix. However I found the solution:

Fix for: Unable to sign in using Firefox due to hanging when Performing TLS handshake to routers IP or URL:
Open the Firefox’s Profile folder in your operating system’s file explorer.
An easy way to do this is to browse to about:support and then click the Open Folder button for the Profile Folder. Locate cert8.db in your file explorer, quit Firefox so you can rename the file (e.g. “cert8.db.bak”).
Restart Firefox (a new cert8.db will be automatically created) and try logging in.
If the page loads normally you've confirmed the issue is related to the local certificate database storing too many self-signed certificates with the same name.

MORE INFO: Firefox starts to noticeably slow down after storing 7-8 identically named self-signed certificates. After storing 10 it slows down significantly and can hang on “Performing a TLS handshake” for 30 seconds or more.

Last edited: