What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed...... tricky?
I don't think so, just some more extra code and formatting (html and css) to send along in the mail body and a header meta.

I created a new gmail account selected the "less secure apps" option. I am getting closer as I now get an error message.

upload_2016-12-30_18-22-40.png

I created a new gmail account selected the "less secure apps" option. I am getting closer as I now get an error message.

View attachment 8098
Check your password, special chars can be a problem, especially backticks (`).
, ; : * seem to be fine.

Check your password, special chars can be a problem, especially backticks (`).
, ; : * seem to be fine.

I removed all special characters from the password and received the same error message. I also powered cycle the router just in case..

I have periods in my email address though

I removed all special characters from the password and received the same error message. I also powered cycle the router just in case..

Test with a alphanumeric password only, to rule that out.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with it but you can also try to enable IMAP access in Settings / Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
If it then works, switch IMAP to disable and test again.

Is it normal to use ip 0.0.0.0?
/tmp/mnt/sda1/adblocking/hosts-adblock pagead2.googlesyndication.com is 0.0.0.0

or should I manually set the routers dns under dhcp? It's blank now, which should use routers ip. My devices are setup to use dhcp and work fine, and ads are blocked, not completely (leaves the box with 'refused'), but I guess pixelserv will take care of that once I set it up.

Welcome to AB-Solution! This is perfectly fine and is how a standard install of AB works.
0.0.0.0 is a dead IP on any device, a black-hole if you want.

or should I manually set the routers dns under dhcp? It's blank now, which should use routers ip. My devices are setup to use dhcp and work fine, and ads are blocked, not completely (leaves the box with 'refused'), but I guess pixelserv will take care of that once I set it up.
No manual intervention necessary, it works best the way you have set it now. pixelserv-tls will block https ads in addition to standard http ads and will partially remove the pesky boxes.

And double check 'Allow less secure apps' is in fact set to ON

Welcome to AB-Solution! This is perfectly fine and is how a standard install of AB works.

No manual intervention necessary, it works best the way you have set it now. pixelserv-tls will block https ads in addition to standard http ads and will partially remove the pesky boxes.

Ah, cool.. I used to use dnsmasq myself with a hosts file script that pulled from most of the ones yours does, and always set it to use the servers ip, didn't think of just using 0.0.0.0.
Very smooth install on my ac87. Expect some beer money deposited

Test with a alphanumeric password only, to rule that out.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with it but you can also try to enable IMAP access in Settings / Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
If it then works, switch IMAP to disable and test again.

The email format is text.text.text@gmail.com. No numbers or special characters in the password. I enabled IMAP and received the same error. I disabled it and received the same error.

Ah, cool.. I used to use dnsmasq myself with a hosts file script that pulled from most of the ones yours does, and always set it to use the servers ip, didn't think of just using 0.0.0.0.
Very smooth install on my ac87. Expect some beer money deposited
The difference is the timeout of the IP's used. If you use 127.0.0.1 (the localhost) or an existing IP (say 192.168.1.1) your router will try to send a response and timeout after a few milisecs because it is unable to serve that page.
0.0.0.0 will immediately return unknown host and your browser or OS will set the flag to ignore requests to that IP in future.

The email format is text.text.text@gmail.com. No numbers or special characters in the password. I enabled IMAP and received the same error. I disabled it and received the same error.
Try it without the dot in the address. gmail ignores dot's.

And double check 'Allow less secure apps' is in fact set to ON

I verified the setting:

upload_2016-12-30_20-25-56.png

I tried changing my DNS settings to google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The same error occurred. I can ping smtp.gmail.com.

upload_2016-12-30_20-27-54.png

I created another gmail account with no periods in the name. Same result. I also changed the IMAP settings to on, tested and received the same error.

Last edited:
I verified the setting:

View attachment 8101

I tried changing my DNS settings to google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The same error occurred. I can ping smtp.gmail.com.

View attachment 8102

I created another gmail account with no periods in the name. Same result.
Try this: Enable a more verbose mode in /adblocking/addon/log-stats.add on line 3.
Set it by removing the comment hash (#)
# set -x
to
set -x
and save the file.

Then send a testmail again. Verbose output follows, the interesting bit is near the end:
sendmail: failed

Be careful not to post the email credentials if you paste output....

Installed pixelserv, set aside 192.168.1.251 for it, but from what I've seen so far the empty grey boxes still show. Guess I'll need to keep my ublock extenstion. Great job tho.. dat bash script doe

I verified the setting:

View attachment 8101

View attachment 8102

I created another gmail account with no periods in the name. Same result. I also changed the IMAP settings to on, tested and received the same error.
And if my previous post still does not give more clues, do this:
In the same file, set it back to # set -x but change line 160 from:
Code:
cat /tmp/mail.txt | sendmail -H"exec openssl s_client -quiet \
to:
Code:
cat /tmp/mail.txt | sendmail -v -H"exec openssl s_client -quiet \
A even more verbose sendmail output follows.

Try this: Enable a more verbose mode in /adblocking/addon/log-stats.add on line 3.
Set it by removing the comment hash (#)
# set -x
to
set -x
and save the file.

Then send a testmail again. Verbose output follows, the interesting bit is near the end:
sendmail: failed

Be careful not to post the email credentials if you paste output....

Thanks thelonelycoder, this is what was below the failed message:

upload_2016-12-30_21-27-7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.