What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

model is AC68U converted from TMobile version, I am not using any USB now, tried multiple times reboot. Not upgraded.
It's not supported read the first post that says read me first, Asus locked it out of the firmware if you want to continue to use Merlin firmware you will have to change to a supported unit.

model is AC68U converted from TMobile version, I am not using any USB now, tried multiple times reboot. Not upgraded.

This setup is not supported as it is illegal to use on your hardware.

Might want to read the sticky post....

Since people can't read existing forum posts, the FAQ, or the Supported Device list...

That model is NOT supported. It never was, and it's even less supported since Asus is now enforcing stricter model validation on the RT-AC68U series at flash time. It doesn't matter whether you converted it, hacked it, repainted it, or whatever. Stop asking on the forums for help flashing your RT-AC68U when you actually have a TM-AC1900 - it's NOT supported, period. From @RMerlin

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/

Hi, I am observing with 384.12 in the system log of my ax88 that several times a day there is quite a flood of messages like :

"Jul 4 16:50:46 kernel: FPM Pool 1: invalid token 0x23458000 freed
........"

Are these messages normal or do they indicate that something is going wrong ? the router seems to behave correctly though..

Regards

NO-FRIGGING-TM1900.png

Is your firmware more stable than latest asus rt86u stock firmware ? Im hesitating if i should upgrade if i want maximize my router performance for gaming.

Should be at least just as stable, since they're both based on the same GPL release as of 384.12. Mine might have a few extra fixes that aren't present in Asus's stock firmware, but I don't have any specific issue I could point out at being more stable in either of the two firmwares.

Over time it will vary. I may fix something and it won't be fixed by Asus until their next release, and likewise they may fix something that won't be fixed in my firmware until my next release. So over time, none of the two will be globally "always more stable", it will vary over our respective release cycles.

Hi, I am observing with 384.12 in the system log of my ax88 that several times a day there is quite a flood of messages like :

"Jul 4 16:50:46 kernel: FPM Pool 1: invalid token 0x23458000 freed
........"

Are these messages normal or do they indicate that something is going wrong ? the router seems to behave correctly though..

Regards

I have the same message with my AX88U too. If I use an AC88U instead, this error message no longer appears.

:)

Reactions: FTC
For those who prefer to route all LAN traffic to the VPN, enabling the “Policy Rules” or “Policy Rules (Strict)” setting enables the option to “Block routed clients if tunnel goes down” to be displayed. Enabling this option will allow you to block LAN traffic from traversing to the WAN interface if the VPN tunnel goes down.

To enable the Policy Rule feature in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, set “Redirect Internet traffic” to “Policy Rules” or “Policy Rules (Strict)” in the OpenVPN Client Screen. Policy Rules (Srtict) mode will take additional steps to ensure there aren’t any extra routes that could potentially bypass the VPN tunnel by only allowing routes that specifically target the VPN tunnel’s network interface. The Policy Rules (Srtict) mode is the preferred setting.

Once you enable Policy Rules, a new section will appear below, where you can add routing rules. The “Source IP” is a local LAN Client device, such as a laptop or mobile phone. “Destination” is a remote server on the Internet. The “Destination” field can be left empty, or set to 0.0.0.0 to signify any IP address. You can also specify a whole subnet in CIDR notation. For example, 74.125.226.112/30.

A common configuration where you want your entire LAN to go through the VPN, but not the router itself:

Code:
LAN_IPs    192.168.1.0/24    0.0.0.0    VPN
Router      192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0     WAN

“Accept DNS Configuration” set to “Disabled”

The disadvantage of setting “Accept DNS configuration” to “Exclusive” is that DNSMASQ will be bypassed since the VPN tunnel will exclusively use the DNS of the VPN Provider. The popular Diversion ad blocker program, written for the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, will not work since Diversion requires the features of DNSMASQ. Diversion will work over the VPN tunnel when “Accept DNS configuration” is set to “Exclusive” and Policy Rules are disabled by setting “Redirect Internet Traffic” to “All”.

My preferred setting is to set “Accept DNS Configuration” to “Disabled” and install Stubby DNS over TLS. Stubby DNS over TLS will encrypt DNS queries for all devices on the network. This setting also allows the Diversion ad blocker to work over the VPN tunnel.

The only issue I have encountered with this setup is that Netflix would break and complain. If I set the policy to All everything works. I will try to test it more.

The only issue I have encountered with this setup is that Netflix would break and complain. If I set the policy to All everything works. I will try to test it more.
Are you using Express VPN? They are getting around the Netflix VPN block by using a DNS proxy hack similar to the SmartDNS service. That explains why you have to set Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive. I use a service that provides a Private or Dedicated IP VPN addresses to get around the blocks.

Last edited:
Are you using Express VPN? They are getting around the Netflix VPN block by using a DNS proxy hack similar to the SmartDNS service. That explains why you have to set Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive. I use a service that provides a Private or Dedicated IP VPN addresses to get around the blocks.
I am with NordVPN. Like them very much - reliable and fast servers. tech support is also great.

I am with NordVPN. Like them very much - reliable and fast servers. tech support is also great.

I am testing NordVPN and I am having problems streaming from some devices like smart TVs, firesticks, that kind of thing, though the router enabled VPN. I've tried different servers and DNS settings without much success. Other devices, phones, computers seem to work fine. Tech support hasn't been able to help.

I am testing NordVPN and I am having problems streaming from some devices like smart TVs, firesticks, that kind of thing, though the router enabled VPN. I've tried different servers and DNS settings without much success. Other devices, phones, computers seem to work fine. Tech support hasn't been able to help.

Where did you put DNS settings ? in your router settings or on the device itself? What error do you get and what DNS option did you choose in VPN->VPN CLIENT-> Accept DNS Configuration ?

Don't know about firesticks but in order to get Netflix working with NordVPN , I had to manually insert 103.86.96.100 dns server in connection settings on my TV .

I'm setting up DNS in the YazFi config. NordVPN clients are forced to use the two Nord DNS servers.

I'm setting up DNS in the YazFi config. NordVPN clients are forced to use the two Nord DNS servers.
You already have an active thread about this here. Please don't double post or post questions in this thread unless your problem is specifically related to this release. Thanks.

Make sure in your WAN leave it empty fields. Don’t use tls over dns. Set policy on your VPN client to route All. Test it and see. NordVPN has a good doc how to set it all up with Asus Merlin. Follow this and you should be fine. I use them for years and also run Diversion and Skynet. No issues.