What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I really have issues, where the Wifi, just gets cut off, on my family.
Including my self, on devices, that isn't cabled.
But on cable, everything works fine.
What could it be?
I also have a few "illegal operations", that i don't know what is.

I'm also adding the systlog, so you all can see.
I'm not sure what it could be.
Can it be QoS?
I uploaded a picture of how my QoS looks just in case.

Every day, the wifi goes down, on all mobile devices and laptops.
Except for mine, because i am using cabled network.

Jul 7 23:15:54 dnsmasq[337]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    338 KB · Views: 451
  • Skjermbilde.JPG
    Skjermbilde.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 632
What could it be?

Can it be QoS?

Set QoS to manual put in 95% of bandwidth from a speedtest try speedtest.net and select the overhead value form the drop box that matches your connection also I'd recommend installing this script for QoS.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190708-020220_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190708-020220_Samsung Internet.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 533
Hi,

Tried to upgrade from 384.11_2 to 384.12 today morning without any success. I have to admint i only backup jffs and the config but i did not do a reset or anything like that prior the upgrade. So via the webUI I tried it, all went up to 100%, saw the usual screen reboot router manually... When I did that router came back to webCFI from which i had a chance to reboot, reset nvram or try upgrade again. I haven't ever seen this page so I tried to upload the FW from there... waited roughly 10 minutes, powered off/on the router but at this point no more webCFI the power led was blinking slowly so router ended up in rescue mode. Just came back home and using the Asus recovery tool I managed to apply the 384.11_2 FW and then the settings all good again.

- Did anyone run into similar problem with the latest FW?
- Anyone tried it with AC87u?
- What did i do wrong?

What could it be?

Can it be QoS?

Yup, wifi randomly craps out on me from time to time. Reverted back to 384 .11 for the time being.

Look in the system log for clues.
I set the syslog to maximum verbosity and no clues were provided. The solution was to reconfigure the OpenVPN client from scratch. It'll remain forever unknown as to why the firmware update borked the config.

Awesome if you get stuck pm me I'll see what I can do to help further.

I did the script, restarted router, (without clearing things)
And the router still denies wifi from time to time.

I have a line for 500 v 500 and i've capped it at 200 for wifi and 300 for ethernet.
Still same error as below.

Jul 9 00:52:13 dnsmasq[30432]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted

Did
I did the script, restarted router, (without clearing things)
And the router still denies wifi from time to time.

I have a line for 500 v 500 and i've capped it at 200 for wifi and 300 for ethernet.
Still same error as below.

Jul 9 00:52:13 dnsmasq[30432]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted
You set the WiFi country, and the channels manually?
Also have you power cycle the router latley?

Last edited:
Did

You set the WiFi country, and the channels manually?
Also, have you power cycle the router lately?

I forgot to save that.
But i did it now.
Not sure if it gets enabled right away, or if i should restart the router.
upload_2019-7-9_18-46-36.png

But the UI, for the router, didn't load, for 5 min ago.
It ended up in a loop.
Until i restarted the router.
Testing how it's set up now.

It's now been some time since i enabled it.
And now it's limiting my whole network TOO much.
On my phone, i get 80 v 80.
And my real internet speed is 500 v 500.
And I've only set it to max 95%.

I could try and downgrade to 384.11, just to see if it's only in 384.12.
Looks like it could perhaps be the CPU
That is spiking.
Not sure why it's at 100%, after 1 hour of running.
And there are no other "scripts" installed.
Other than the QoS.
upload_2019-7-9_20-7-40.png

One in 3 packages get Dropped

Jul 9 20:04:36 kernel: DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=xx:b0:xx:2b:ec:xx:00:xx:00:xx:00:xx:08:00 SRC=193.32.163.182 DST=xx.xxx.xxx.xxx LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=54 ID=53074 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=45560 DPT=22 SEQ=3345471938 ACK=0 WINDOW=29200 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 OPT
(020405B40402080A061D1690000000000103030A)

Unstable wifi both on 384.11 and 384.12.
And the CPU goes to 100% too much.
I've even disabled ANYTHING that could cause CPU usage.
It goes to 100% right after it reboots.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    467.4 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
I upgraded from ll.2 to 12.0 and I experience a regression. I am having a problem with web access to my router, when using https.

My router is an RT-AC68U, which I dirty-upgraded from 11.2 to 12.0 without incident. In the router's Administration|System page, I have set Local Access Config to Authentication method both, addresses http://192.168.1.1 and https://192.168.1.1:8443 .

Remote access via WAN is disabled. Enable access restrictions is disabled.

I only access the router from a wired ethernet port, LAN.

I can log in to the router OK as http://192.168.1.1.

If I log in via https://192.168.1.1:8443, Google Chrome indicates "Not secure." In the browser address bar, I see https: in red strikethrough typeface. Then ://192.168.1.1:8443.

If I log in via http://192.168.1.1:8443 using Mozilla Firefox, results are much worse. Firefox indicates it is VERY SLOWLY executing TLS handshakes again and again. Eventually, Firefox simply times out.

My router config is rather simple. No VPNs, nothing besides default routing and maybe 25 static host names in the DHCP config. 2.4 GHz and 5 GHZ WiFi are working, but I don't have any guest network. No cloud services or media servers.

I can access the router via ssh and run top. When the TLS handshaking problem happens, the CPU idle time is about 97%.

Any suggestions?

Have you had any responses about this? I've noticed similar issues. My RT-AC68U is ok sometimes through the webUI connecting via wifi, but sometimes the webUI just bogs down and either fails completely or is crazy slow. If I leave the router be for a while, it seems to recover. If there's a fix for this I'd sure like to know.

Have you had any responses about this? I've noticed similar issues. My RT-AC68U is ok sometimes through the webUI connecting via wifi, but sometimes the webUI just bogs down and either fails completely or is crazy slow. If I leave the router be for a while, it seems to recover. If there's a fix for this I'd sure like to know.
Read the "Readme", there has been a change in the certificate part. So issue a new certificate, and that's it.

Read the "Readme", there has been a change in the certificate part. So issue a new certificate, and that's it.
"So issue a new certificate, and that's it." How do you do that?

A lot of people are mentioning WiFi issues but is it really WiFi that is the issue?

I have an 86U and at first I thought after the update I was getting WiFi issues but as it turns out its something to do with certain requests being blocked.

To give an example, browsing the internet can work fine, be it on a wired computer or android phone via WiFi, yet at times other connections to games and apps don't work.

• I then proceed to diagnose the problem by running a ping to the router IP, everything fine and dandy.
  • Then I ping a website to test such as www.google.com, all packets are lost.
  • Then I ping an IP of a website to test, all packets are lost.
  • Login to webui and perform a ping test to same URL, everything works fine.

I reset router to default and cleared NVRAM, same problem.

What fixed it for me was changing my DNS servers to use manual IP addresses (DHCP section of LAN) rather than my ISPs. After that fixed it, I removed them and using the default ISP values again, now it works.

Sometimes the problem comes back though.

The router will now directly use the WAN-configured DNS for name resolution done on the router itself by default. The option is still configurable under Tools -> Other Settings for those who have a particular need that requires the former default behaviour. This matches how stock firmware works, and this change has zero impact on your LAN clients.
Could there be a problem with this release? It seems a coincidence that this happens after this change. I understand this should have no impact, but at least for me originally leaving the router to process DNS requests was failing. It was only when I manually specified dns and reverted back to stock settings that it started working.

I have repeating message several times every 5 minute :
Using RT-AC88U
Jul 10 19:21:55 kernel: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Jul 10 19:21:55 kernel: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx already exist in UDB, can't add it
Jul 10 19:21:59 kernel: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Jul 10 19:21:59 kernel: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx already exist in UDB, can't add it
Jul 10 19:23:45 kernel: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Jul 10 19:23:45 kernel: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx already exist in UDB, can't add it
Jul 10 19:28:16 kernel: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Jul 10 19:28:16 kernel: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx already exist in UDB, can't add it

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx : RP-AC68U MAC Address Repeater (Express Way Mode)

"So issue a new certificate, and that's it." How do you do that?
Simple:
Annotation 2019-07-10 161910.jpg

If I remember, it asks for an reboot after that..

After that, first delete all old ASUS Router certificates from System/browsers, and accept the new one.
You can also "Export" it and place it manually where ever you want (also as backup that you can "Upload" to the router if you reset it)...

Last edited:
Hi, I am afraid I have to report two strange things with 384.12 and my ax88.

1. During reboot or restart of the router, the webui works quite fast (just 1 minute aprox after boot started), but then quite fast it hangs and becomes unresponsive for around 4-5 minutes. This did not happen with the last betas of 384.12.. probably related to some of the last ntpd boot optimizations.

2. I found today that DDNS was running with my previous IP. and so I could not find the router through OVPN remotely. I am not sure if this is a router thing or an asus ddns server thing. will however keep an eye to see if this problem happens again.

Hi, I am afraid I have to report two strange things with 384.12 and my ax88.

1. During reboot or restart of the router, the webui works quite fast (just 1 minute aprox after boot started), but then quite fast it hangs and becomes unresponsive for around 4-5 minutes. This did not happen with the last betas of 384.12.. probably related to some of the last ntpd boot optimizations.

2. I found today that DDNS was running with my previous IP. and so I could not find the router through OVPN remotely. I am not sure if this is a router thing or an asus ddns server thing. will however keep an eye to see if this problem happens again.

Did you do a format, after you upgraded?
Or did you "import" the old settings?