What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Forgive my ignorance, why doesn't DoT doesn't suffer this same issue? Isn't it still making it impossible to manage DNS traffic? If not, what's the point of DoT again?

DoH hides itself as being web traffic, despite the fact it isn't. With DoT, you can more easily control it because it uses a dedicated port.

DoT fulfills its job which is simply to provide privacy to the DNS queries you make. DoH tries to also bypass firewalls and evade blocking by firewalls (think corporate firewalls, or the Chinese GFW) by hiding itself.

For example, if they see a lot of hosts around the world all sending high volumes data to each other over the DoT port it's a fairly safe bet that it's not actually DNS traffic.

You can also easily configure a firewall rule that allows port 853 traffic ONLY to an authorized DoT server. Can't do that with DoH.

What router ? What version did you previously run? Have you rebooted the router yet which is the first action to take when you see an issue ? Have you tried clearing browser cache or using a different browser ?

RT-AC5300
I believe I was on the previous stable release but not 100% sure
I did a full power cycle on the router
I have tried on multiple browsers and PCs, same issue

A lot of experts warned that DoH was a bad idea for many reasons...

"Experts: It will prevent network admins from managing DNS traffic"
"DoH fans: But that's exactly what we want, to hide the DNS traffic from network admins"

Malware starts using DoH.

"DoH fans: How can we detect/intercept/block this malware?
"Experts: You can't, it's hidden from the network admin, remember?"
"DoH fans: ..."

Chuckle.... just a touch of cynicism there. ;-)

Red light of death tonight.
You ISP's DHCP is not functioning properly or something. Middle LED on router is red. Is this an 86U only problem?
To fix, I have turn off router, unplug the power, and press the power button on router. I can see an LED flash briefly on a USB hub indicating residual power drained. Plug in and turn on.
If I don't drain the residual power that way, router's middle LED still partially red after rebooting with the power switch.

You ISP's DHCP is not functioning properly or something. Middle LED on router is red. Is this an 86U only problem?
To fix, I have turn off router, unplug the power, and press the power button on router. I can see an LED flash briefly on a USB hub indicating residual power drained. Plug in and turn on.
If I don't drain the residual power that way, router's middle LED still partially red after rebooting with the power switch.
I've had it a couple times on my 86U, but can't say it's only an 86U thing.

My log was clear with no reports until today at 2am, can someone tell me what this message means.

Jul 12 02:00:15 rc_service: rc 9938:notify_rc restart_wrs
Jul 12 02:00:29 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 7f

My log was clear with no reports until today at 2am, can someone tell me what this message means.

I have the same two lines, an also at 02:00 AM so it must be a scheduled restart...

This seems to be related to a new signature request on the Administration -> Firmware Upgrade tab:

2.132 Updated : 2019/07/12 02:31

My System log has at the same time:

Jul 12 02:31:22 rc_service: rc 10459:notify_rc restart_wrs
Jul 12 02:31:42 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3

WRS = Website Reputation Service. It's the Trend Micro component that handles malicious website blocking.

fun bitmap = which features in the Trend Micro engine are enabled.

As pointed it out, this is simply the engine reloading its services after a signature update.

@RMerlin can't reproduce this or know of any cause?
I am screwed if this happens when I am not home :p

I've seen this when experimenting with some not very popular DNS servers, the red light was coming and going from time to time. Never wasted time to investigate why because switching to Google DNS fixed the issue instantly. Never had a red light also with Cloudflare and Quad9, just to mention a few. NordVPN's own DNS stopped responding a few months ago resulting in red light. Took me some time to figure out what's wrong with the connection. Since then I don't use their DNS anymore.

I have 86U but never had that issue. Could it me your USB stick or drive? I would try to replace that first. If this does not fixes the issue I would do a complete rest and reconfigurations to eliminate everything and start from scratch.

In this case it maybe your power line. Nothing else come to mind. Do you have both connected to the same power bar or outlet? If you have a power bar try not using it or plug your modem to different power outlet on the wall bypassing powwer strip. Give it a try.

This might be a really silly question, but I remember a reducing usb 3 interference option in the Wireless Professional settings to help 2.4Ghz speed/coverage, I noticed it wasn't in the current Merlin options, has this been scrapped/not needed anymore? I currently have the usb slot set to 2.0 and using a stick for Diversion etc scripts, so was wondering if I can just turn it back to 3.0 and not having any speed impacts on the 2.4 band? Thanks

edit: Should have mentioned - running Merlin 384.12 on an AC88U

This might be a really silly question, but I remember a reducing usb 3 interference option in the Wireless Professional settings to help 2.4Ghz speed/coverage, I noticed it wasn't in the current Merlin options, has this been scrapped/not needed anymore? I currently have the usb slot set to 2.0 and using a stick for Diversion etc scripts, so was wondering if I can just turn it back to 3.0 and not having any speed impacts on the 2.4 band? Thanks

edit: Should have mentioned - running Merlin 384.12 on an AC88U

Asus moved that option a couple of times over the years, so the location has also changed in my firmware. It's now found on the Administration -> System page.